• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Open Golf Championship - Turnberry

Stats

aka Ian Poulter
Golf's third major of the year rolls back into Turnberry after a 15 year absence.

Tiger Woods starts as 2-1 favourite but with the rough supposed to be quite thick can he keep the ball in play enough to claim his 4th Open Title.

Back to back defending champion Padraig Harrington has endured poor season missing cut after cut, but comes off the back of win in the Irish PGA Championship. Yes it was a weakened field compared to that at Loch Lomond but it could be the catalyst to kick start his season.

Martin Kaymer is the in form golfer with 2 wins on the trot with decent strength fields in the French and Scottish opens respectively.

There's some serious each way value down the field with the nearest rival to Woods, Sergio Garcia 20-1.
Poulter, McIlroy and Westward all 25-1 have decent track records on links courses and might be worth a shout.

Outsiders that may be worth a shout, Angel Cabrera, David Toms, Graeme McDowell all fairly straight hitters.

I think you have got it right. I don't know if you pinched that from a news site. But, there are simply some players with bad records on the links courses. I don't think there is any value at all in Tiger at 2-1. I would stay well clear of that.

Form and confidence is so important but can come from just a couple of good/bad holes. Coral make Tiger 5/2 favourite with the nearest 25/1. Quite simply unbelievable. It does spark the debate is he the greatest sportsman of all time?

They are 25s on Coral who you mentioned. Cabrera 80/1. For me an each way bet with Ernie Els at 50/1 and Retief Goosen at 50/1 look great value.

I think you have got it right. I don't know if you pinched that from a news site. But, there are simply some players with bad records on the links courses. I don't think there is any value at all in Tiger at 2-1. I would stay well clear of that.

Form and confidence is so important but can come from just a couple of good/bad holes. Coral make Tiger 5/2 favourite with the nearest 25/1. Quite simply unbelievable. It does spark the debate is he the greatest sportsman of all time?

They are 25s on Coral who you mentioned. Cabrera 80/1. For me an each way bet with Ernie Els at 50/1 and Retief Goosen at 50/1 look great value.

All my own work mate :)

I think one person who's in great form this year but has a terrible record on links courses is Paul Casey. He just isnt a links player, the low punchy shot you need on the links courses is not one of his stock shots.

Ante-post betting on golf is surely a mug's game at the moment. You might bet on Tiger because he's the best - but as a result, his odds are gash. Apart from that, until you've reached the cut, it's impossible to know who's in with a shout.

My wild-card for the tournament... Justin Rose. He's a pretty handy links player.

Matt

It truly would be wonderful to see the great Tom Watson win again tomorrow after all these years at the age of 62.

Good luck Tom.

According to Wiki Tom Watson is 59. Strange how this Open has mirrored last year when Greg Norman led after 3 days to fall away. I think the same will happen this year. I hope that Ross Fisher or Lee Westwood will win, but have a feeling that Jim Furyk will be holding the claret jug aloft.

I don't understand why he needed to attack the flag on the 18th. Centre of the green and two putt surely. I'd love to see him win the play off though. What a phenomenal 4 days.

I wouldnt say it was that shot that did it more the putt onto the green. He's a great chipper of the ball, the ball was sitting up nicely he could slid the sand wedge under the ball and then got some check on the green.

Still we can all win tournaments sitting in the comfort of our armchair.

Really was a great final round, closest run for years.

I'm actually quite pleased Watson didn't win. It saved us from a series of facile debates in this week's media about whether him winning The Open at the age of 59 was the greatest individual sporting achievement ever.

Felt sorry for the great man but how many times do we see the leader lose their nerve and someone creep up who finished a few groups back. Cink played exceptionally well in the play off and is one of the nicer american players. Just sad that yet again the english guys blew it. Westwood will be killing himself after blowing the 18th.

Back