• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy T you should give up the day job mate. Wonderful stuff. I just hope that Ron and PB read the diaries. (Oh, just a thought, perhaps you are a writer for a living. In which case keep up the good work.) It's probably been suggested to you but these diary entries could be compiled to make a very good book to dip into in the off season to remind us what happened in those dark days of winter.

Can't wait to read what PB has to say in his diary about the 13-1 hammering handed out to U18's today by the Addicks. He may want to revise his views about sending some of them out on loan.

Andy T you should give up the day job mate. Wonderful stuff. I just hope that Ron and PB read the diaries. (Oh, just a thought, perhaps you are a writer for a living. In which case keep up the good work.) It's probably been suggested to you but these diary entries could be compiled to make a very good book to dip into in the off season to remind us what happened in those dark days of winter.

Hmmm, if truth be known, your bookshelves should already be full. :smiles:

Wednesday 25th January 2017

The natives are really restless this week, demanding answers on anything from Tortoise's sacking, to which multi-million pound footballer I'm going to entice to the club.

On that subject I needed to call Ron and chat through what our options are, so I dials him up. That's a bit odd. It's an International dialing tone. After about 20 rings, Ron answers. "It's noisy there, Ron" I says .. "Yes, I can't hear you very well" .. "Is that the unmistakable sound of the Tijuana Brass in the background, Ron?" .. "Er, yes I'm in Acapulco" .. "Acapulco. Are you going loco?" .. "It's no time to be funny, Phil. I'm laying low in Mexico until this whole thing blows over!"

I need to talk transfers, so I ask him how much I can spend and he says, no more than £500.00 per week. I says, so it'll have to be Jimmy Kebe, then! .. After a moment or two, Ron says "Let's not be too hasty, then. I'll stretch to £1,000.00 per week", before he hangs up with the sound of 'The Mexican Hat Dance' ringing in me ears.

Armed with me budget, I calls up Karl Robinson to ask if I can speak to Nicholas Ajose. He says fine, he's a lazy git and you're welcome to him and his feline friends. They drive me nuts. As luck would have it, the Under 18's are playing at Charlton today, so I've arranged to meet Karl and Nick there for a chinwag and for us to lay our excellent terms on the table. I've got a good feeling about this one.

Another issue the supporters keep banging on about is The Dome. They keep wanting to know why it's wasting away over on the training ground, not being used and costing the club money. I says I can see their point, but I've already covered the Adam Barrett issue in last week's diary!

Anyway, the lads are feeling a bit restless this week, too, so Horts thought it a good idea to arrange a Darts Night at Boots & Laces tonight for them all. Should be a good one!

"Another issue the supporters keep banging on about is The Dome. They keep wanting to know why it's wasting away over on the training ground, not being used and costing the club money. I says I can see their point, but I've already covered the Adam Barrett issue in last week's diary!"

:hilarious:

Thursday 26th January 2017

Off I trot, yesterday, to The Valley to complete the deal for Nicholas Ajose and take a look at our promising youngsters.

Things get off to a bad start, though, as there's no-one around except the Charlton groundsman. Not wanting to miss an opportunity, I ask him how the club handled things when the game was called off on Saturday. He said he'd been summoned into the Chairman's office to explain why the undersoil heating wasn't on and he'd told them he'd not connected it up to the boilers. He thought his goose was cooked, but the Chairman was delighted, on account that they were playing Scunthorpe and had a few key injuries and could do with the week off. He even gave him a pay rise and a company car!

Anyway, I also find out from him that Karl is over at the training ground in Sparrows Lane, where the U18 match is, so I set the co-ordinates and I'm there an hour or so later.

I arrive just as the Charlton lads score a goal. There's not much celebrating. I sees Karl and says, what's the score. He says it's 13-1. I have a chuckle to myself and tells him our lads are pretty good though, so it's no disgrace. They haven't lost for 3 months. I just seen your consolation goal. Karl laughs and says, it's 13-1 to Charlton. Bl***y hell. I better get on to Bournemouth to see how many extra lads they can take for training next week!

Nick is there and he's arrived in a big van. Inside is his mobile cattery. 14 of them in there. Karl seems happy with our offer, but says Nick has the baggage as well, don't forget, pointing to the van. I says, so we've got to take Ajose and the Pussycats! .. He laughs and says they come as a package. Not sure Ron will like that. He hates cats. He'll probably sack them if they mess on the pitch!

The lads Darts Night went well. They played all the old favourites "Daddy Cool", "Duke of Earl" and my own personal favourite "Boy from New York City". It was good to see the doo-wop revivalists back on stage. A great effort, especially considering they disbanded in 1985! .. The lads seemed to disappear after about 20 minutes, so I guess they must have been down the front, throwing a few shapes on the dancefloor and enjoying the show.

I did notice some rather sinister characters, who turned up mid-evening. Big black puffa jackets, dark shades. They looked pretty menacing and seemed to be casing the joint. I alerted the security guy. An old fella with a limp. He assured me that they were OK, but he did notice one of them had a tattoo on his neck saying IOG!

The lads are in for a bit of light training today, before we head up North tomorrow for the big game, so I'd better get going.

Enjoy your day, everyone!

Last edited:
Friday 27th January 2017

I arrives at the training ground yesterday morning to be met by a picket line. Placards with "Save Ken", "Martin Out" and "Better Road Access out of Canvey Island" (Not sure what that's about) were thrust in my face. It was all a bit hostile. It was no surprise that the organizer was none other than shell-suited lunatic, David Icke. He stepped across my path, demanding I explain what's going on. I'd already had trouble with Icke at Roots Hall when his 4 strong picket line tried to disrupt the Checkatrade Trophy Group Match against Leyton Orient.

He says the supporters need answers, whilst also trying to convert me to the beliefs of the Babylonian Brotherhood. I says that's all well and good, but we're playing Fleetwood Town on Saturday and I'm a busy man. Luckily the IOG heavies were still around from the night before and cleared a way for me, but not before Icke pointed to a parked car and said they had some top name support here. I wandered over and snoozing in the driver's seat was none other than former blues legend Stan Collyflower. I tapped on the window and Stan opened the door, looking a bit weary. He said he'd been there all night after some extensive dog walking* and would I mind leaving him to catch up with some kip! Very odd behavior for a national icon!

I've told the lads that we are travelling up today for the Fleetwood match and will be staying in Blackpool. I've chosen the Rose Hotel & Spa, as it sounded posh and has a swimming pool. Lenny quickly Googled it on his phone and said the reviews weren't great on tripadvisor. They rank it as #72. I says that sounds OK, but then he mentions there's only 72 hotels in Blackpool. He shows me some of the comments. "I wouldn't board my dog here" .. "The hotel seems to have cracked down since my last visit and the bar only has a handful of drug dealers left" .. "I did board my dog here and he checked out early as the service was so bad!". There's one good review though from Joy Johnson "Don't read all the negative reviews. All 563 of them. This place is the best hotel in Blackpool!". Anyway, it's too late now, so we'll have to make do.

Horts is travelling up with us for this one, as he is looking forward to greeting their Israeli manager, Oyvey Rosler, with a cheery Shalom! .. Him and Oyvey go back a long way, so I'll leave them to it. It'll save me having to chat to Oyvey who keeps reminding me how good Cian Bolger is! Gets on me nerves, he does!

Well, here's hoping for three points tomorrow and another goal from old Coxy. I knew he was a good signing!

*(c) Peter Kay 'Car Share'

Last edited:
Friday 27th January 2017

I arrives at the training ground yesterday morning to be met by a picket line. Placards with "Save Ken", "Martin Out" and "Better Road Access out of Canvey Island" (Not sure what that's about) were thrust in my face. It was all a bit hostile. It was no surprise that the organizer was none other than shell-suited lunatic, David Icke. He stepped across my path, demanding I explain what's going on. I'd already had trouble with Icke at Roots Hall when his 4 strong picket line tried to disrupt the Checkatrade Trophy Group Match against Leyton Orient.

He says the supporters need answers, whilst also trying to convert me to the beliefs of the Babylonian Brotherhood. I says that's all well and good, but we're playing Fleetwood Town on Saturday and I'm a busy man. Luckily the IOG heavies were still around from the night before and cleared a way for me, but not before Icke pointed to a parked car and said they had some top name support here. I wandered over and snoozing in the driver's seat was none other than former blues legend Stan Collyflower. I tapped on the window and Stan opened the door, looking a bit weary. He said he'd been there all night after some extensive dog walking* and would I mind leaving him to catch up with some kip! Very odd behavior for a national icon!

I've told the lads that we are travelling up today for the Fleetwood match and will be staying in Blackpool. I've chosen the Rose Hotel & Spa, as it sounded posh and has a swimming pool. Lenny quickly Googled it on his phone and said the reviews weren't great on tripadvisor. They rank it as #72. I says that sounds OK, but then he mentions there's only 72 hotels in Blackpool. He shows me some of the comments. "I wouldn't board my dog here" .. "The hotel seems to have cracked down since my last visit and the bar only has a handful of drug dealers left" .. "I did board my dog here and he checked out early as the service was so bad!". There's one good review though from Joy Johnson "Don't read all the negative reviews. All 563 of them. This place is the best hotel in Blackpool!". Anyway, it's too late now, so we'll have to make do.

Horts is travelling up with us for this one, as he is looking forward to greeting their Israeli manager, Oyvey Rosler, with a cheery Shalom! .. Him and Oyvey go back a long way, so I'll leave them to it. It'll save me having to chat to Oyvey who keeps reminding me how good Cian Bolger is! Gets on me nerves, he does!

Well, here's hoping for three points tomorrow and another goal from old Coxy. I knew he was a good signing!

*(c) Peter Kay 'Car Share'

Uncle Ron has obviously been so pre-occupied with trying to purchase a fly mow for Horts that he hasn't told you it's a mini bus, train,another mini bus and maybe a tram job tomorrow gaffer:winking:

Saturday 28th January 2017

I'm writing this from Rugby Station. Yes, you heard right, we are travelling up by train.

I texted Ron yesterday to let him know we were leaving for Blackpool, when he hits me with the news that he's already booked 22 'Super-duper no questions asked, you won't get a better deal than this guv!' awayday specials. Yep, I had to cancel the hotel I'd booked. I called the landlady, Joy Johnson, who sounded disappointed. She said she now only had two bookings all weekend. A border collie named Bonzo from Poulton-Le-Fylde and two sausage dogs from Bamber Bridge, called Chorizo and Salami! I apologise for the faux pas and said we would definitely stay next time we were in the area, playing Preston in The Championship next season!

Anyway, I collect the rail tickets Ron had left with our stand-in CEO, Melody Measles. Earls Hall Primary School said it was OK for her to help out, so that was good news. When I arrived she was colouring in a picture of Ted Smith, whilst doing the club's tax returns.

FFS, I think, as I read the itinerary. Depart Euston at 02:25am, changing at Watford Junction, Rugby, Crewe, Manchester (Piccadilly), Manchester (Victoria), Preston and Blackpool, arriving into Fleetwood at 2:15pm. Thanks, Ron!

In better news, I've been after a striker and a defender in the window, so was delighted to sign a lightweight midfielder. Tottenham manager, Mauricio Pottytraining, said he is a star of the future and I'll make great strides with him in the team. I must admit, I like a good Premiership loanee after the success of Jamar Loza, Glen Kamara, Sam McQueen, Shaq Coulthirst and Adam King. Just one more signing and I think we're done. I'll probably give me mate at Reading a call, again. They seem to have a lot of ex-players available!

Better dash, as the 08:00am Rugby to Crewe is boarding. See you in Fleetwood!

Last edited:
Saturday 28th January 2017

I'm writing this from Rugby Station. Yes, you heard right, we are travelling up by train.

I texted Ron yesterday to let him know we were leaving for Blackpool, when he hits me with the news that he's already booked 22 'Super-duper no questions asked, you won't get a better deal than this guv!' awayday specials. Yep, I had to cancel the hotel I'd booked. I called the landlady, Joy Johnson, who sounded disappointed. She said she now only had two bookings all weekend. A border collie named Bonzo from Poulton-Le-Fylde and two sausage dogs from Bamber Bridge, called Chorizo and Salami! I apologise for the faux pas and said we would definitely stay next time we were in the area, playing Preston in The Championship next season!

Anyway, I collect the rail tickets Ron had left with our stand-in CEO, Melody Measles. Earls Hall Primary School said it was OK for her to help out, so that was good news. When I arrived she was colouring in a picture of Ted Smith, whilst doing the club's tax returns.

FFS, I think, as I read the itinerary. Depart Euston at 02:25am, changing at Watford Junction, Rugby, Crewe, Manchester (Piccadilly), Manchester (Victoria), Preston and Blackpool, arriving into Fleetwood at 2:15pm. Thanks, Ron!

In better news, I've been after a striker and a defender in the window, so was delighted to sign a lightweight midfielder. Tottenham manager, Mauricio Pottytraining, said he is a star of the future and I'll make great strides with him in the team. I must admit, I like a good Premiership loanee after the success of Jamar Loza, Glen Kamara, Sam McQueen, Shaq Coulthirst and Adam King. Just one more signing and I think we're done. I'll probably give me mate at Reading a call, again. They seem to have a lot of ex-players available!

Better dash, as the 08:00am Rugby to Crewe is boarding. See you in Fleetwood!

Excellent as ever. Did Jobbo have to drive the mini bus himself this time?

Just caught up with these. Absolute quality. Was laughing out loud and thought I'd choke on me wine gums reading about the winter of 62-62 and three matches in a day...

Uncle Ron has obviously been so pre-occupied with trying to purchase a fly mow for Horts that he hasn't told you it's a mini bus, train,another mini bus and maybe a tram job tomorrow gaffer:winking:

Sorry forgot to tell you there would be a sherbet involved as well Phil.:winking:

Presumably the next instalment will disclose the instant dismissal of Melody for failing to provide the Preston coach company with the coordinates for Preston Rail station and/or failure to provide the company with the ETA and/or failure to ensure that the coach had satnav. Looks like she will have to return to reading Five learn about life with SUFC. And PB had better tell Noodles that the shrimps are Morecambe and not his new employers. If he can't get that right then he had better not be meeting Ron anytime soon. Morecambe not one of Ron's fave clubs if memory serves.

Sunday 29th January 2017

Finally home. What a nightmare that was!

I left off at Rugby Station, yesterday, didn't I? .. Well, after that things went from bad to worse. We missed our connection in Manchester and ended up running late, so I asks Horts to organize a coach to the Highbury Stadium and we'll all get off at Preston. Horts is on the phone sorting it, when I get a call from Ron. He's already in Fleetwood. He'd flown in overnight from Mexico to Manchester and got a taxi up. He sounds a bit fraught, saying he's having problems with mazy hair. Must be windy there, I thought, being on the coast and that. I says that he should try and find a barbers in Fleetwood. There must be one open. He replies "No, Maisie Hare, Ken Tortoise's other half!" He says that she keeps calling him and threatening to take him to court! She's even been on BBC Essex going on about it! .. I says I've got other things to worry about, as we pull into Preston Station.

Out we all get and what's this, no bl***y coach! .. Horts is on the phone trying to sort it. Says the coach is here waiting. No sign of it, though, so I gets on the phone to them meself. Turns out Horts has ordered a coach from Preston Road Tube Station to Highbury & Islington! .. Fella said if we don't mind waiting, he'll be right with us in about 4 and 1/2 hours. I tells him to forget it and I call Number 1 Taxis (Preston's Number 1 Taxi Company) and ask them to send a coach. Next thing some bloke pulls up and shouts out "Taxi for Brown!". I says very funny. I had all that when I was manager at Preston North End "You think yer funny, do you!" I says. He replies "No, pal, you ordered a taxi". I asks where me coach is and he says the best they can do is 9 taxis. Jeez, what a bl***y nightmare. I tells the lads they'll have to squeeze in 4 people and kit to a taxi, as I'm having one to meself. I'm not sharing with Horts!

Eventually we arrive, then Ferdy goes and injures himself in the warm-up. He only went and pulled a muscle, carrying all the team kit across the car park from the taxi! .. As if it couldn't get any worse, they go and equalize in the last minute. That said, I did get a chance to look at old Noodle. I think he could do with a run out in the U21's. Probably for the rest of the season!

Still, at least Rochdale lost 4-0 at home again, so we're right behind them .. Funny, I didn't know Huddersfield were in our division!

Last edited:
Monday 30th January 2017

Got an email from Number 1 Taxis with the bill for Saturday. £2,000 they want. Jeez. I can't ask Ron, as I know he doesn't pay any taxis! Luckily, Nile was round for the afternoon, catching up and telling me about the new house he's just bought in Shoeburyness. I tells him my plight and, the good guy he is, he said he'll settle it tomorrow for us. Said he's just got to transfer some money into his account and it'll be sorted! :thumbsup:

The transfer window shuts tomorrow, so I'm keeping my eye out for some bargains. Peter Onadinghy is a free agent and some of the lads reckon he is mustard. There's a rumour he's been watching Bolton lately, so that should put him off signing for them!

I've decided to name my side early this week, to put potential buyers off the scent. JW did a great job, so he gets to keep the shirt. The only change will be bringing McGl back in for Will, who didn't pay his subs after Saturday's game. Said his dad will drop it round during the week, which just Isn't good enough (I shamelessly stole that line from 'Supa Shrimpa' who will get a mention in dispatches!). I also decided to start with McGl as the grass will be so long by Saturday, the oppo won't be able to see him ghosting down the wing! .. Always thinking, me!

Just going to call that coach company now. I reckon there was some conspiracy going on, Saturday and I intend to get to the bottom of it!

Back