• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The People's Vote

Peoples Vote

• Leave (May's Deal)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Leave (No Deal)

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • Remain

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
If a second vote took place, I’ve no doubt that remain would triumph. So I’ll aim this question at the remainers of the forum.

How would you appease the millions who originally voted out? Or to put it another way, how would you insure that a reversal of the referendum decision, would not cause riots?

The possible ramifications for reversing the decision could be catastrophic. And that’s not me adopting a project fear attitude. Thats just stating the obvious. Rightly or wrongly, there will be millions of ****ed off people, some of whom will want to display a show of force
Appeasement: yes you voted Leave but you also voted in an incompetent Tory government. That is a lethal combination and the Leave vote has been rendered unworkable.
Riots - I doubt it, the not leaving thing has been a slow decline rather than something sudden.

Your intentions are noble, but where you’re going wrong is by assuming that you’re dealing with reasonable people.

And it’s the more unreasonable ones who are capable of the civil unrest on a scale which would make the 2011 riots seem like child play.

I think you overstate the case. I agree that there will be some trouble but UK wide riots? Unlikely. A lot of leavers are the older generation and they're not so hot headed.

I just want to shout swear words at 'Tommy Robinson'. Its nothing to do with Brexit really - he is not registered to vote, its just a vehicle for hate for him.

Thanks for the tip off. Its nothing to do with TR and all to do with Brexit. Looks like I might be joining some people who are going.

From what I hear anyone trying to stop democracy might be targeted....Which of course is probably the best way forward....After all its our duty.

If a second vote took place, I’ve no doubt that remain would triumph. So I’ll aim this question at the remainers of the forum.

How would you appease the millions who originally voted out? Or to put it another way, how would you insure that a reversal of the referendum decision, would not cause riots?

The possible ramifications for reversing the decision could be catastrophic. And that’s not me adopting a project fear attitude. Thats just stating the obvious. Rightly or wrongly, there will be millions of ****ed off people, some of whom will want to display a show of force

I’d launch a New Deal: a comprehensive programme of domestic reform so the system works for everyone.

This would involve major infrastructure investments (public transport, social housing, clean energy) in the regions; a recalibration of taxation so the super wealthy and multinationals can’t avoid it and bear a greater proportion; substantial constitutional reform so we can hold our officials who make decisions in Brussels to account.

There are millions of Remain voters who feel betrayed. How would Leavers seek to appease the 48%?

Thanks for the tip off. Its nothing to do with TR and all to do with Brexit. Looks like I might be joining some people who are going.

From what I hear anyone trying to stop democracy might be targeted....Which of course is probably the best way forward....After all its our duty.
'Robinson' is sending round a flyer stating that he has organised the demo. He doesn't vote so I can't see what this has to do with democracy.

'Robinson' is sending round a flyer stating that he has organised the demo. He doesn't vote so I can't see what this has to do with democracy.

He voted leave like the majority in Britain did. Both main parties fought a GE on the basis we would leave.....Thays a 500 majority in Parliament. If you wanted remain you should have voted Liberal.

What you don't get is that leave is very strong in many of the traditional Labour strongholds up north. They have had more than enough of the London left wing elite sounding off in their cosseted echo chambers. You have ignored them for years, that's why we have Brexit. They are now realising you never had any intention of 'respecting' their vote.

Still its time for a real working class party who will champion the cause of the real working class and not the sort of Gaurdanistas who play at it for self grandiosity from a position of white educational privilege , whilst fleeing back to their families in a white neighbourhood

Appeasement: yes you voted Leave but you also voted in an incompetent Tory government. That is a lethal combination and the Leave vote has been rendered unworkable.
Riots - I doubt it, the not leaving thing has been a slow decline rather than something sudden.

Again, you’re trying to appeal to people who are unreasonable. I’m not all of them, are unreasonable, I’m saying a significant amount are, and that includes the more dangerous ones.

I think you overstate the case. I agree that there will be some trouble but UK wide riots? Unlikely. A lot of leavers are the older generation and they're not so hot headed.

I think you underestimate just how much sway, the likes of Tommy Robinson (et al) has over people. Saying the right thing at the right time is all you need to light the touch paper.

I’d launch a New Deal: a comprehensive programme of domestic reform so the system works for everyone.

This would involve major infrastructure investments (public transport, social housing, clean energy) in the regions; a recalibration of taxation so the super wealthy and multinationals can’t avoid it and bear a greater proportion; substantial constitutional reform so we can hold our officials who make decisions in Brussels to account.

There are millions of Remain voters who feel betrayed. How would Leavers seek to appease the 48%?

A sound idea, which I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to get behind. The trouble is getting a competent government to actually carry it out. That excludes every single person & party currently darkening the doors of Westminster

He voted leave like the majority in Britain did. Both main parties fought a GE on the basis we would leave.....Thays a 500 majority in Parliament. If you wanted remain you should have voted Liberal.

What you don't get is that leave is very strong in many of the traditional Labour strongholds up north. They have had more than enough of the London left wing elite sounding off in their cosseted echo chambers. You have ignored them for years, that's why we have Brexit. They are now realising you never had any intention of 'respecting' their vote.

Still its time for a real working class party who will champion the cause of the real working class and not the sort of Gaurdanistas who play at it for self grandiosity from a position of white educational privilege , whilst fleeing back to their families in a white neighbourhood
He didn't vote Leave, he didn't vote at all, he has never voted in his life - he has said so himself. He isn't the person you want him to be.

the government are Tory - it is them that has trashed the referendum result

I think you underestimate just how much sway, the likes of Tommy Robinson (et al) has over people. Saying the right thing at the right time is all you need to light the touch paper.

Realistically, not a lot. Whilst I agree there are some out there who think he's the messiah, and very small percentage of those would actually take up action. Christ, even UKIP think he's a scumbag.

the government are Tory - it is them that has trashed the referendum result

Ah, the good old left wing comfort blanket. It was the Tories, Cameron, Thatcher......Nothing to do with us.

The MPs voted to leave and Labour, paralyzed by its activists have failed their core support. The real shame is Corbyn is anti EU for the right reasons but has been silenced by the likes of you.

Ah, the good old left wing comfort blanket. It was the Tories, Cameron, Thatcher......Nothing to do with us.

The MPs voted to leave and Labour, paralyzed by its activists have failed their core support. The real shame is Corbyn is anti EU for the right reasons but has been silenced by the likes of you.

Bizarre how he voted Remain then eh?

Bizarre how he voted Remain then eh?

That's Corbyn for you. He spent years actively supporting the IRA, even wanted convicted murders to be honoured, which of course prolonged the troubles and caused more misery fpr so many.....Then claims he only ever wanted peace

as much as you want everything to be Labour's fault its not in this case.
Tories called the referendum, majority of Tory voters voted Leave, Tories argued among themselves for two years, Tories finished with a deal that they don't even approve of themselves.

The failure of Brexit is down to the Tories.

I doubt remain voters still appalled by the vote need much reminding how people can be led astray and manipulated by the dishonest. That wound is still raw.

There are probably going to be riots one way or the other. They will probably be worse when people realise the pack of lies they were fed by Brexit when the promised unicorns (£350bn for the NHS etc) don’t show up. Probably best to get them out the way whilst it is cold and wet.

I think the last national policy to cause riots were the poll tax riots. That was of course a democratically mandated policy.

A sound idea, which I’m sure a lot of people would be willing to get behind. The trouble is getting a competent government to actually carry it out. That excludes every single person & party currently darkening the doors of Westminster

This is why constitutional reform is needed because neither main party can be trusted. Hopefully stopping Brexit breaks both main parties and allows this. It may sound unlikely but is still more realistic than most Brexit plans.

Realistically, not a lot. Whilst I agree there are some out there who think he's the messiah, and very small percentage of those would actually take up action. Christ, even UKIP think he's a scumbag.

You only need a small percentage to kick start trouble though. Take the riots in 2011 as an example. A minor bit of unrest in North London from a relatively small amount of people & within days, it had spread around the country. And that was just opportunists who fancied jumping on the bandwagon, causing havoc & stealing some stuff. They didn’t even know Mark Duggan!!

The Brexit issue is a much bigger powder keg, with a lot more people invested. Whilst you may be right, there isn’t many who’ll spark it off, I’ve absolutely no doubt that if/when somebody did spark it off, there will be thousands upon thousands willing to adopt that mob mentality & join in.

You only need a small percentage to kick start trouble though. Take the riots in 2011 as an example. A minor bit of unrest in North London from a relatively small amount of people & within days, it had spread around the country. And that was just opportunists who fancied jumping on the bandwagon, causing havoc & stealing some stuff. They didn’t even know Mark Duggan!!

The Brexit issue is a much bigger powder keg, with a lot more people invested. Whilst you may be right, there isn’t many who’ll spark it off, I’ve absolutely no doubt that if/when somebody did spark it off, there will be thousands upon thousands willing to adopt that mob mentality & join in.

We'll see. If it gets out of hand the army will have to step in. It'd be a very sad day if the British army have to shoot at their own citizens.

I think you have this danger whatever the outcome. I think every scenario has a large amount of people who will think they have been undemocratically screwed (at least in their own heads).

It's a conundrum that is not easily dealt with. My thought pattern would be to remind people of the measures taken in the wake of the riots in 2011, the fast processing and prosecution of anyone caught with tough sentencing. I'm not sure it would put off the Tommy Robinson supporting football hooligan types in face masks and balaclavas, I think they'd fancy their chances not being picked up on CCTV or by the understaffed Police service.

I think it's a legitimate concern but are we to just accept a bad deal for the country to avoid possible riots? That sound like a true "project fear".

Remain.

If you want to stick two fingers up at the establishment there are other ways that won't upset my middle class lifestyle.

Back