• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The People's Vote

Peoples Vote

• Leave (May's Deal)

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Leave (No Deal)

Votes: 32 52.5%
  • Remain

Votes: 28 45.9%

• Total voters
We'll see. If it gets out of hand the army will have to step in. It'd be a very sad day if the British army have to shoot at their own citizens.

Well they won’t be shooting anyone on the Brexit side of the fence will they.

no it wasn't. it was an advisory referendum and wasn't legally binding.

why?

The years are ticking on of course so sorry I obviously missed the bit when they said “it’s only a advisory vote and we can always change it if it doesn’t go the way we want it”
If the leave vote isn’t honoured then there is no point voting anymore.
I get some people don’t want to leave but the result was to go.

I love the way some remainers convince themselves the only people who want Brexit are right wing Sun reading football hooligans.... Throw in a few favourite Buzz words like racist and xenophobe and reality will go away.

Well it won’t and the cosy two party system know that. Which is why we haven’t had a second referendum already. That’s why parliament had to ‘honour’ the result.

The 18m who voted out are not going anywhere and the only thing any MP cares about is themselves. They didn’t even care that less and less people bothered to vote. It actually made life easier for them

Then along come UKIP who freightened the life out of the career and spineless mainstream MPs. The very fact that May was elected leader raised a red flag amongst the politically astute. The self destructing GE was a further example of MPs wanting to cling to their gravy train in Brussels. Why would they remove themselves from a system that rewards failed MPs with more money than the British PM could ever make in Westminster The Kinnocks alone have rinsed us for £10m.

That’s why we are where we are now and that’s why Labour won’t ever offer an alternative deal.

The big problem is for Westminster is they are to scared to step back in the water. They hoped by hanging around for a few years the UKIP shark has swum away. What if a bigger more aggressive shark is waiting.

Yes, best not to associate with UAF. Not after they had a campaign of harassment against the 17 year girly who reported their leader of rape.

So its ok to march in support of remain but you will try and stop support for Brexit?

A shed load of EDL members have been locked up recently for indecent images of children and grooming kids so I'd tread carefully there if I was you.

A shed load of EDL members have been locked up recently for indecent images of children and grooming kids so I'd tread carefully there if I was you.

No because when they do it it's a conspiracy from the left wing liberal elite to discredit Tommy. Fake news, or whatever fingers in their ears la la la I'm not listening technique they use when they are caught out.

I will add the caveat that this is not a sweeping generalisation and applies to a very small minority on the right. They just make a lot of noise

The years are ticking on of course so sorry I obviously missed the bit when they said “it’s only a advisory vote and we can always change it if it doesn’t go the way we want it”
If the leave vote isn’t honoured then there is no point voting anymore.
I get some people don’t want to leave but the result was to go.
I fully expect a large amount of Leave voters who vote Tory to just stop voting. Their offer to leave the EU and then inability to actually do that will generate a lot of apathy and it will mainly be Tory Leavers that take the none voting route.

No because when they do it it's a conspiracy from the left wing liberal elite to discredit Tommy. Fake news, or whatever fingers in their ears la la la I'm not listening technique they use when they are caught out.

I will add the caveat that this is not a sweeping generalisation and applies to a very small minority on the right. They just make a lot of noise

You could be onto something there. Didn't TR leave the EDL about 5 years ago because racists had started to attach themselves to the movement.

Govenment have just been found to be in contempt of Parliament and will now be forced to reveal the legal advice they tried to bury.

Why do they make things so hard for themselves. Absolute ****show of a government.

Govenment have just been found to be in contempt of Parliament and will now be forced to reveal the legal advice they tried to bury.

Why do they make things so hard for themselves. Absolute ****show of a government.

They didn’t try to bury it, they attempted to maintain legal privilege. They should have argued this more forcefully and voted against the motion on 13 November and that was an error.

Let’s be clear: all matters relating to the advice regarding the backstop are in the public domain and have been revealed by the government. The worst case scenario, on the legal question of whether the backstop could remain in perpetuity which was the question which led to the 13 November vote, has already been accepted by the government as a calculated risk but one worth taking to deliver an orderly exit while maintaining no hard borders.

I listened to the whole debate all day today, for work reasons. Did anyone else? What was notable was the lack of opposition MPs who spoke in favour of the opposition motion today or against the government amendment. Many spoke on the other side of the debate and quoted - at length - from Hansard and from Erskine & May, specifically contradicting every aspect of the spurious context of the opposition position. None of these arguments were challenged by a single member of the opposition parties - who nevertheless voted the government in contempt and also voted against a sensible government offer to have a cross-party parliamentary committee review the whole legal advice and redact by agreement of the whole house those elements not in the UK interest to be revealed in public.

With respect, what we really have is a ****show of an opposition.

I get the feeling that TOO much of this is being orchestrated by both Tories and Labour with the outcome going to be that which May wanted, I.e . Remain but with a facade of having given it a go.
It is this type of government that starts to increase the downward spiral of trust in the rule/power of vote.

They didn’t try to bury it, they attempted to maintain legal privilege. They should have argued this more forcefully and voted against the motion on 13 November and that was an error.

Let’s be clear: all matters relating to the advice regarding the backstop are in the public domain and have been revealed by the government. The worst case scenario, on the legal question of whether the backstop could remain in perpetuity which was the question which led to the 13 November vote, has already been accepted by the government as a calculated risk but one worth taking to deliver an orderly exit while maintaining no hard borders.

I listened to the whole debate all day today, for work reasons. Did anyone else? What was notable was the lack of opposition MPs who spoke in favour of the opposition motion today or against the government amendment. Many spoke on the other side of the debate and quoted - at length - from Hansard and from Erskine & May, specifically contradicting every aspect of the spurious context of the opposition position. None of these arguments were challenged by a single member of the opposition parties - who nevertheless voted the government in contempt and also voted against a sensible government offer to have a cross-party parliamentary committee review the whole legal advice and redact by agreement of the whole house those elements not in the UK interest to be revealed in public.

With respect, what we really have is a ****show of an opposition.

The government have been found to be in contempt of Parliament today - I think that is possibly the first time that has ever happened.

All Opposition parties including the DUP voted to find the government in contempt of Parliament.

Your conclusion is....odd.

The government have been found to be in contempt of Parliament today - I think that is possibly the first time that has ever happened.

All Opposition parties including the DUP voted to find the government in contempt of Parliament.

Your conclusion is....odd.

It seems pretty clear to me that you didn’t see the debate A-as. It’s also quite dubious whether you even read my post!

It seems pretty clear to me that you didn’t see the debate A-as. It’s also quite dubious whether you even read my post!
I'm at work but getting constant news updates. The government is in contempt of Parliament and you attack the opposition - whether your conclusion is justified or not under the circumstances it is a very very odd conclusion.

I'm at work but getting constant news updates. The government is in contempt of Parliament and you attack the opposition - whether your conclusion is justified or not under the circumstances it is a very very odd conclusion.

Not at all. Not if you read my post, without dismissing it as likely to be inaccurate because we are on different sides of the Brexit debate, or watched the debate. I was at work too - watching the debate.

Back