• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Planning Inspectorate Details

Homer

R.I.P
Does anybody have or no where i can get the full address of the Planning Inspectorate so i can write a letter of support for the New Ground

I would suggest we flood them with letters supporting the plans

Especially when as reported in the Echo that Mr B.Harkness MD Delamere Estates who run Victoria Circus is for the stadium but not the shopping outlets as he says its unnecessary as he does not want it

i for one will not be setting foot in the Victoria Circus when his finished its makeover personally i prefer out of town shopping centres

:guns: :guns:

Does anybody have or no where i can get the full address of the Planning Inspectorate so i can write a letter of support for the New Ground

I would suggest we flood them with letters supporting the plans

Especially when as reported in the Echo that Mr B.Harkness MD Delamere Estates who run Victoria Circus is for the stadium but not the shopping outlets as he says its unnecessary as he does not want it

i for one will not be setting foot in the Victoria Circus when his finished its makeover personally i prefer out of town shopping centres

when has anyone ever set foot in Victoria Circus?? It always has been and I'm sure it always will be an embarrassment to the town

Not since the 70's has it been worth going to, but could be good when roofed.

You can understand the guys concerns, its a huge redevelopment and a new shopping centre would have an adverse affect.

However I think he is misguided as out of town shops are generally dont generally attract the same as a high street. Want Currys, PC World , Mothercare ? Go out of town. Want CD's, shoes, clothes ? Go to the High Street.

Not since the 70's has it been worth going to, but could be good when roofed.

You can understand the guys concerns, its a huge redevelopment and a new shopping centre would have an adverse affect.

However I think he is misguided as out of town shops are generally dont generally attract the same as a high street. Want Currys, PC World , Mothercare ? Go out of town. Want CD's, shoes, clothes ? Go to the High Street.

What are CD's ?

for Vic Circus to really succeed it needs a dept. store to rival Debenhams down the other end, perhaps John Lewis or House of Fraiser. Like Jam Man said the retails outlets at FF will be completely different... already southend loses trade as there aren't decent 'large' retail stores like Choice, Next etc etc, the kind of shops they have over in basildon, lakeside etc. Vic Circus needs to chose it shops carefully as their main competition is on the high street.. not the out of town shops.

IMO Vic Circus could do with having a Dept Store, keeping Argos and Wilkinsons. Then do up the jewellers and have a number of new clothes and shoe shops (Schuh/Office, USC, etc)... keep it classy because the high street is full of cheapy pound shops and discount shops, which is why everyone heads up to bluewater, oxford st and lakeside. Bring in some shops that they have up there and people will be more than willing to save the petrol and shop down the highstreet

The only shops I used before I became an exile were the Pie & Mash shop Argos & Wimpy

There used to be a SUFC shop there as well, bought myself a pint glass from there.

Used to go to the computer shop there as well, back in the day. One of my computer teachers was a director - Mr Foy?

Also, the jewellery shop right near the train station at the top of the escalators does really good cheap watch repairs

Finally, me and Leeboy had a cuppa Char at the caff there before Shrewsbury away in the ORM-mobile.

So, yes, I used to go there quite a bit.

for Vic Circus to really succeed it needs a dept. store to rival Debenhams down the other end, perhaps John Lewis or House of Fraiser. Like Jam Man said the retails outlets at FF will be completely different... already southend loses trade as there aren't decent 'large' retail stores like Choice, Next etc etc, the kind of shops they have over in basildon, lakeside etc. Vic Circus needs to chose it shops carefully as their main competition is on the high street.. not the out of town shops.

IMO Vic Circus could do with having a Dept Store, keeping Argos and Wilkinsons. Then do up the jewellers and have a number of new clothes and shoe shops (Schuh/Office, USC, etc)... keep it classy because the high street is full of cheapy pound shops and discount shops, which is why everyone heads up to bluewater, oxford st and lakeside. Bring in some shops that they have up there and people will be more than willing to save the petrol and shop down the highstreet

I think people head over to Basildon, Lakeside and London because it's easy to do so. No-one is going to come the other way to be honest.

No retailer worth their salt would set up in Southend, especially when you have so many other retail areas nearby which so many people go to. Never mind the petrol costs, it doesnt cost much on the choo-choo to get anywhere.

remember when they opened the SUFC club shop, i got tons of autographs!

The computer shop was amazing, is that the one down the alley off Chichester Road? Can't remember what it was called now?

Inshops used to be cool as did Skiddibaroochie's!

But I'd hardly say now I do any worthwhile shopping in Vic Circus.

remember when they opened the SUFC club shop, i got tons of autographs!

The computer shop was amazing, is that the one down the alley off Chichester Road? Can't remember what it was called now?

Inshops used to be cool as did Skiddibaroochie's!

But I'd hardly say now I do any worthwhile shopping in Vic Circus.

Come to think of it, there were two computer shops in the Plaza. One was just along from the army careers place, past the cafe, where I used to buy Acorn Electron games, the other opposite the two comic shops.

What are CD's ?

Its a format for obtaining and listening to music.

Used to stand for Comact Disc, but I think may now stand for Criminally Downloaded.

Estuary Computers ?

Used to spend many a nerdy teen hour in there :)

Come to think of it, there were two computer shops in the Plaza. One was just along from the army careers place, past the cafe, where I used to buy Acorn Electron games, the other opposite the two comic shops.

yes remember the one opposite the comic shops but dont really remember the one by the army careers place.

the one i remember is opposite where the newsagents is by the bus stops, Talza Way I think it's called, Q-Base or something like that, it used to be a computer game trade-in shop and it had some machines in there to.

I think people head over to Basildon, Lakeside and London because it's easy to do so. No-one is going to come the other way to be honest.

No retailer worth their salt would set up in Southend, especially when you have so many other retail areas nearby which so many people go to. Never mind the petrol costs, it doesnt cost much on the choo-choo to get anywhere.

for me i think it converting people from just popping in cos they need something small.. (stick 70p in at farringdon and wizz around in an hr), and getting people to actually do some serious shopping there... i get your point about retailers not wanting to set up but thats probably because there isn't a long-term gameplan for the town. We all know that the govt has got big plans for the Thames Gateway but it seems like Southend BC are just going to sit on their hands and watch it play out. If they were proactive about kickstarting a proper regeneration plan for the town then retailers would be interested in moving into a town "on the up" which has big plans and catchment area is definitely going to increase in the next 10-15years. There are so many basic facilities that are lacking in this town and RM is trying to kickstart part of it with the FF plans and also getting cheap professional housing into the Roots Hall site. If SBC got on board and looks at things like:

the highstreet
carparking/park and ride schemes
encouraging the uni to carry on expanding
a decent leisure swimming pool
the seafront development

then im sure retailers will see the potential and also locals will want to use the towns facilities from the seafront right up the highstreet

Ahhhh...the Amiga...what a fantastic piece of kit.

I had a 500+ which I am not ashamed to say, I couldn't get rid of! :thump:

Southend Council, when agreeing the plans, stated a requirement that anybody opening a store at Fossetts Farm, who already had a store in the High Street would be required to keep that shop running for at least 4 years. Accordingly our retail units are not going to cause a flood of shops to close in the town, rather they are just going to provide commercial competition. Something that the Victoria Plaza would not appear to be that keen on. One is left to wonder why ?

You never know, West Ham may come along and offer to buy VC and turn it into a mega club-superstore (only for it to close down a few weeks later)! :angel:

As SBC fully supported this the Development at Fosset's Farm and to this day are fully supportive of the Development and what it will bring to Southend

Maybe they should remind Mr Harkness of Delamere Estates that his words in the echo last night can only harm the future of Southend

Tried to find out if his company presently run any other Shopping Centres especially thoses out of the centre of the established Town Centre

But it seems he has no web site only a office in London which leads me to think that the Company is a front for a much larger developer

There used to be a SUFC shop there as well, bought myself a pint glass from there.

Forgot about that. Once went in to buy some tickets and a scarf - the assistants looked at me as if I was mad! In the good old Jobson era.

Back