• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xàbia Shrimper

Co-founder of ShrimperZone
Let me put something straight. I was NOT against the podcast; jokey comments might have been interpreted as such but I was not against it. My train of thought is as follows:

Firstly, the concept of the podcast was indeed innovative, if not the first in the country or the world. But by limiting it to use only with RSS seemed wrong to me. To do so meant that one was 'forcing' the user to download and install an RSS reader or miss out. Others sites allowed the download of an MP3 file as part of their podcast offering instead. The club wasn't interested to such suggestions and indeed I was informed that I was a "dummy" and that the club would not offer an MP3 download; with the usual arrogance from the club I was told that such a download wouldn't be a feature - "end of". Nice PR.

Secondly - and perhaps rather more personal to me - I am one of those people who abhors unfounded exclusivity claims. The SUFC podcast was touted as the world's first dedicated football club podcast when in fact it is not. Chelsea, Bayern Munich, Salzburg, even Havant & Waterlooville have all offered podcasts before SUFC. Perhaps I might have pushed it so far but ever since Scriv and I developed ShrimperZone, it's been a real bugbear.

This forum is all about expression of opinion. If my ramblings about the podcast can be interpreted as those of a "loudmouthed t%&t" (as so eloquently put by Mr JChapman) or as "sad, bitter and childish" by jumboshrimp, then so be it. I am entitled to those opinions. No amount of abuse is going to change that and I have solidarity with Wiggy that any castigation is going to be ignored by me.

What I do find incredible is that members of the club's commercial department has been so quick to throw in the towel in the face of such criticism / suggestion. I can't think it was so. There must something more to it. Why just suddenly bin such an innovative concept just because of me?! Therefore the lack of backbone imagery remains. In business you fight through, not just give up!!

WS

See what happens when the Sangria wears off ?
tounge.gif
I like it Mike.
smile.gif

Though you have directly and correctly identified two people that have taken umbrage with your comments you'll see from the way the thread developed that they were not the only ones, though at the same time there were enough people expressing opinions similar to yours. Arthur Rowley's new thread is a case in point, though his offering is less confrontational, as is your offering here.

BTW did you volunteer to do the FAQ pin to stop the newbies asking the same old recurrent questions ?  
tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 20 2005,19:19)]Secondly - and perhaps rather more personal to me - I am one of those people who abhors unfounded exclusivity claims.
rock.gif

rock.gif

And? I abhor umpteen dozen things, but I don't then pursue a crusade against them to the extent that you did, hunting down example after example to prove my point. What does it matter if it isn't, actually, the first footie club podcast? Dave and James made the claim IN GOOD FAITH, no-one denies that surely. To then publicly give them the lie again and again as if it realy mattered was to put it bluntly just bitchy. You may have thought the comments jokey, Mike, but to keep on and on repeating the same thing stops being humorous and becomes wearing. Dave and James have their hands very full at the moment, they don't need that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What I do find incredible is that members of the club's commercial department has been so quick to throw in the towel in the face of such criticism / suggestion. I can't think it was so. There must something more to it. Why just suddenly bin such an innovative concept just because of me?! Therefore the lack of backbone imagery remains. In business you fight through, not just give up!!

And once again you question their fitness for the job by impugning their character.  Bang out of order Mike. Who are you to judge them like you do? Remember, the podcast was an entirely voluntary effort, seperate from any club work. You have no idea of what pressures they might be under, or what other things are affecting their decision. Sadly, you come across at the moment as more Wiggy than Wiggy.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But you feel free to criticize. Then why protest so much when you in turn are criticized?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 20 2005,20:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Man Who Likes Prams @ Sep. 20 2005,21:04)]Then why protest so much when you in turn are criticized?
NO I DON'T!!

WS

wink.gif
OH YES YOU DID!!

(5 minute or the full half hour, btw?)

upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Man Who Likes Prams @ Sep. 20 2005,21:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What does it matter if it isn't, actually, the first footie club podcast? Dave and James made the claim IN GOOD FAITH, no-one denies that surely.

I know. See my response on the other thread.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And once again you question their fitness for the job by impugning their character. Bang out of order Mike. Who are you to judge them like you do?

Eh?!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Remember, the podcast was an entirely voluntary effort, seperate from any club work. You have no idea of what pressures they might be under, or what other things are affecting their decision.

I know. And if you read my post P-R-O-P-E-R-L-Y you will understand that I am NOT against the podcast concept!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But you feel free to criticize.

Jesus! Read my post P-R-O-P-E-R-L-Y.

WS

I read it properly. I have just read it again. P--R-O-P-E-R-L-E-Y. Isn't this:

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Therefore the lack of backbone imagery remains.

A personal and insulting comment? What am I not understanding?
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Man Who Likes Prams @ Sep. 20 2005,21:15)]A personal and insulting comment? What am I not understanding?
rock.gif
Lack of backbone?

"Everyone like the podcast or we'll take it away!"

One person makes a few comments and Scriv takes the proverbial football home with him in a bloody sulk. Not particularly good business acumen and why I am convinced that there is far more to this than meets the eye ... why not just ignore the comments?!

WS

I may have missed the point completely here, and not having access to SZ at work any more means I am not as up on all the various threads as I used to be (use my own time to read them all? yeah, right!).

But why don't you just click on the link on the SZ homepage and the podcast will just open in your media player?

Like I say, I may have missed the point somewhere buried in a long and boring thread but this will mean you wont have to bother with RSS at all.

Ok - I've now found buried in another long and very dull thread your post saying how you can now listen to it via the SZ homepage......

I for one think it is a great shame that the podcasts will not continue. Whether or not we are the first, second, third or fifty-seventh club to offer such a service isn't the point - the fact is it's the first and currently only podcast offered by Southend United (therefore the only footie one I give a monkey's about) and I thoroughly enjoy them. These new ideas are to be encouraged and welcomed as a sign of a club trying to head in the right direction - they are certainly not always succeeding (as Saturday shows) but trying none the less.

I certainly do not want any sycophantic ******* up to the club on here and criticism when the club cocks up should be positively encouraged in my view - but credit where credit's due should be encouraged also!

I know it might a bit late in the day for this but can someone tell me what is this "Podcast" that you all talk of ??

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ron Manager @ Sep. 20 2005,21:45)]But why don't you just click on the link on the SZ homepage and the podcast will just open in your media player?
I do / did.

I simply questioned why the official site couldn't do the same and all of a sudden I'm public enemy number one ...

WS

wow.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Sep. 20 2005,22:06)]XS/Mike, clearly you are a clever and articulate man but your postings smack of '' Peter & the Wolf'' that I can never interpret when you are making a real point.
RP : Perhaps I'll add "RP" for real point or something ...

WS

wink.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (prittlewellshrimper @ Sep. 20 2005,21:10)]I know it might a bit late in the day for this but can someone tell me what is this "Podcast" that you all talk of ??
Goto SZ front page, and all will be revealed.

For the uninitiated here is link that will tell you what is in detail.

Basically a low tech version it allows people to create Radio type programmes that can easily be downloaded and listened to on either their PC or MP3 player. For instance they can either be amateur shows or Tim Lovejoy's Sunday show on Virgin Radio is also available on this format.

Hope that makes it clearer.
wow.gif

Mike, I think your point was made about 100 posts ago... but the constant going on and on and on became a bit too much to bear.

On one hand I think it's a great shame that the RSS / podcasts are being stopped and the owrk by James and Scrivs was very much appreciated...

... but on the other hand, I'm glad they decided to call it a day just so you can stop going on about them (the podcasts) in the negative way you have been. I felt truly sorry, for James especially, every time I read a new post from you on the subject.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 21 2005,07:18)]On one hand I think it's a great shame that the RSS / podcasts are being stopped and the owrk by James and Scrivs was very much appreciated...

... but on the other hand, I'm glad they decided to call it a day just so you can stop going on about them (the podcasts) in the negative way you have been. I felt truly sorry, for James especially, every time I read a new post from you on the subject.
Yes, but just because of ME?! Surely not! One person on an unofficial forum does not bring a football club initiative to its knees. If it does, then these people appear to give up very easily ...

WS

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 21 2005,07:18)]Mike, I think your point was made about 100 posts ago... but the constant going on and on and on became a bit too much to bear.
That's because people clearly fail to understand what my motives were! Everyone thinks my masterplan was hatched to close down the podcast service. It wasn't. I questioned why the service couldn't be received via other methods to ENHANCE the service and the suggestion was arrogantly brushed aside by Scriv. I questioned the validity of the exlusivity claim and Scriv accepted that ... and I accepted his answer. But some people still fail to understand ...

WS

mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Sep. 21 2005,08:54)]That's because people clearly fail to understand what my motives were!
I understood your motives... so I hope you're not including me in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back