• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Pope

ESG

Manager
Is anybody else a bit brassed off that the British tax payer is having to cough up £18 million for The Pope's trip here next month? I read that some of the policing costs will be so big that certain forces will then have to make cut backs.

I guess if all the people that were annoyed about the Pope decided not to protest, then it wouldn't cost so much to police it. So come on folks, put the placards away and stay in and watch the telly instead.

I guess if all the people that were annoyed about the Pope decided not to protest, then it wouldn't cost so much to police it. So come on folks, put the placards away and stay in and watch the telly instead.

Totally agree :)

Also out of interest, when other heads of state have visited, has it been so contentious? It is a state visit arranged after the invite of the Government. The fact the Catholic population are having to dig into their pockets is infact pretty generous! How many Americans living in the UK chucked a few quid to pay for Obama's visit ;)

I know, I know... it's different.

I'm looking forward to it. Off to Hyde Park on the Saturday and Crofton Park on the Sunday.

It's great being an oppressed and frequently ridiculed minority in this country, bit like being a Southend fan ;)

Also out of interest, when other heads of state have visited, has it been so contentious? It is a state visit arranged after the invite of the Government. The fact the Catholic population are having to dig into their pockets is infact pretty generous! How many Americans living in the UK chucked a few quid to pay for Obama's visit ;)

It is different, but I think a lot of people criticising the costs have missed out on the state visit aspect that you quite rightly mention. These visits happen and the taxpayer always foots the bill. Oh well.

Im with Nap's on half of it at least . As far as I'm aware the HRE (Holy Roman Empire) is paying 7-8 Million of it (figures banded about ).

In turn i want Dalia Lama , the Pope of all Europe for the Sub Genius (they do wicked parties) and the High Priestess of Ishtar to be extended the same curiosities

the High Priestess of Ishtar to be extended the same curiosities

2242132459_cfde3e7a6c_o.jpg

I'm looking forward to it. Off to Hyde Park on the Saturday and Crofton Park on the Sunday.

It's great being an oppressed and frequently ridiculed minority in this country, bit like being a Southend fan ;)

I'd be pretty miffed if we spent £18m entertaining the head of state of Nauru.

But I'm sure the £23,000 per head of population of the Vatican that we'll be spending will be worth every penny to spread those 15th Century values.

LisaIrisIshtarWebPic.jpg

Warning this images may be fictional on the grounds that the cult ended many thousands of years ago and the images of new age lovelys was sadly missing ..... (Crimplin and multi coloured silk uuuggh)

It is different, but I think a lot of people criticising the costs have missed out on the state visit aspect that you quite rightly mention. These visits happen and the taxpayer always foots the bill. Oh well.

Also worth noting boosts to economy... someone suggested 80% of Englands coaches will be used on the Sunday. Also 100,000 extra visitors to London on Sat. Instead of sat moaning, I'd get some flags and tshirts printed ;)

Also worth noting boosts to economy... someone suggested 80% of Englands coaches will be used on the Sunday. Also 100,000 extra visitors to London on Sat. Instead of sat moaning, I'd get some flags and tshirts printed ;)
Tsk its all about prophet prophet prophet with you lot (ok its bad but you try for a papal pun ;) )

someone suggested 80% of Englands coaches will be used on the Sunday.

Yes, I expect 80% of the coaches in the country will be used, and a couple of those coaches may even go and see the Pope.

The Reading and Leeds festivals as well as the day's Premier$hite football will all draw bigger crowds. What with them all being more relevant.

Yes, I expect 80% of the coaches in the country will be used, and a couple of those coaches may even go and see the Pope.

The Reading and Leeds festivals as well as the day's Premier$hite football will all draw bigger crowds. What with them all being more relevant.

The relevant bit I can agree with (for me personally anyway, very lapsed 'Tim' that I am), but I reckon there will be more people going to see the Pope than there will be either of those festivals. There are about 1,000,000 regular churchgoing Catholics in the UK and a good number of them will want to be there. Not to mention people coming over from Ireland and Northern Europe.

While we're here, a vast number of coaches will be also used for the Challenge Cup Final at Wembley on Saturday. All 72,000 available tickets (Club Wembley accounts for 18,000) have been sold and many of those coming down from Leeds or Warrington will be on coaches. I'll e taking the tube though. Can't wait.

Interesting, would that sort of money be spent on entertaining the "leader" of one of the other religions predominant in this country ? And would there be similar uproar ?

My forebears fought a war to keep this country non catholic why should I pay for their leader to come over here ;)

Last edited:
Interesting, would that sort of money be spent on entertaining the "leader" of one of the other religions predominant in this country ? And would there be similar uproar ?

Yeah, but, Obi Wan Kenobi is a fictional character. Oh, wait, on second thoughts... Carry on.

I thought Henry VIII told the Pope to sling his hook back in the 1530s, and his daughter slammed the door shut in 1588, so I've no idea why we're entertaining this particular antediluvian misogynist at the taxpayers' expense.

I won't be protesting, however; I'll be adopting the appropriate British response, which is to have a jolly good moan about it instead.

:thumbdown:

I thought Henry VIII told the Pope to sling his hook back in the 1530s, and his daughter slammed the door shut in 1588, so I've no idea why we're entertaining this particular antediluvian misogynist at the taxpayers' expense.

I won't be protesting, however; I'll be adopting the appropriate British response, which is to have a jolly good moan about it instead.

:thumbdown:

isnt everything literally antediluvian???

Back