• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question The Powell/Barrett issue

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
So, if SCP hadn't been sacked after that dismal run of results last season, would those who are NOT in favour of Barrett coming in as manager be more open to the idea?

Just curious.

I just can't fathom the "no not another legendary ex-player, we'll ruin him!". As if Powell's tough time here is the only valid evidence of a legendary former player taking over as manager at a football club *rolls eyes*.

Adam Barrett is a big boy. He can make decisions himself and doesn't need people on here trying to protect him. If AB thinks he can handle it and feels ready then who is anyone on here to say otherwise?

So, if SCP hadn't been sacked after that dismal run of results last season, would those who are NOT in favour of Barrett coming in as manager be more open to the idea?

Just curious.

If CP hadn't been sacked, we wouldn't be in this mess now, so I can't see how that question is relevant.

Chris Powell was harshly sacked in my opinion. The position we found ourselves in was almost entirely due to the unprecedented number of injuries. several of which are still not fit enough to return.I remain convinced that Bond's appointment had little to do with our staying up. The players wanted it badly enough,when it really mattered.

One thing I am sure of, had Chris Powell remained in charge, we wouldn't be in this mess now, but of course we will never know whether we would have been in League 2.

Therefore to answer the question, I would not be adverse to Barrett taking the job, if he was the best candidate.

We would have been relegated. So what's your point. Zone, and reality are in short supply.

I wasn't trying to make a point, I was just curious. I was originally not in favour of Barrett because I didn't want to see another legend fail, but then I realised that's my stuff really. I now think Barrett may actually be the best man for the job.

My question was really only to see whether anyone else felt the same. I think people are trying to read too much into what was just a straightforward question.

The key thing for me is that they are different people (Barrett and Powell). What happened to one wouldn’t necessarily happen to the other for a million reasons, not to mention that the uncontrollable variables (injuries, ref decisions etc) are different each season. Powell might even get us promoted this season!

People are going to have to find much better reasons to convince me that Barrett is a bad idea than just that Powell was sadly not successful last season.

Let’s be honest there’s no method to this. Sometimes you appoint a former player and he gets you promoted - Tilson. Sometimes it ends in tears - Powell. Sometimes you appoint a guy with no affiliation to the club and he gets you promoted - Brown. Sometimes it ends in tears - Bond.
I sense at the moment we need a manger to stabilise us and for me that’s sometime with experience who is a hard man-manager. Being Southend that won’t be enough for our fans, so I rather fancy the next man will get the boot despite doing well overall - Sturrock. We’ll then increase our overall debt and go in search of promotion again - Bury.

Judging by comments both on here and twitter, I'd say that for more than half of those who dont want Barrett, the reason is because they don't want to see another Blue's legend fail.

As has been previously mentioned, Barrett and Powell are two very different characters.
For example, whereas Powell visibly wilted as the heat in the kitchen got too much, i could never see Adam giving off that negative energy. He's built entirely differently.

I'd go as far as to say that if Barrett was appointed as the new manager, I'd be as excited as I've ever been and the the most confident that a period of sustained success was around the corner.

Don't worry fbm I feel the same, so I understand your question.

I hated seeing CP fail and I was genuinely shocked at how quick some were to turn on him. The fact that they had all got a dose of promotion fever was not CP's fault. Yes the fans won't know why he couldn't sign then players he wanted but they still turned on him whilst in the middle of the clubs greatest ever injury crisis.

Thats what makes me fear for AB. I don't doubt his character or ability for one second. But right now its going to be real tough to turn things around. Who ever it is has to do it with no chance of any changes in staff.......Yes CP had the same but we the fans had only seen a bad run of about 8 games......The anger and moaning is far greater than 18 months ago and what with the latest FF set back, RH is not the place to be.

I would love to see AB back at the Hall but maybe in the summer after say a relegation to L2.....If it is by early next week then he will get my full support and any idiot in the stands forgetting that it will take time to change things should be hunted down and treated like a traitor.

The trouble is that if Adam comes in and it doesn't go well then everyone will say we shouldn't have appointed him, if someone else comes and it doesn't work out everyone will say we should have given Adam the chance. Great if he gets the job and things go well but who knows - probably only someone called hindsight.

It a ridiculous argument.

SCP was SCP. AB is AB. They've both earned their place in the HoF as players.

SCP's time here didn't do him much damage. Most of us still regard him as the legend he deserves to be and professionally he's just been employed by England.

And whilst you have some people going on about not "spoiling another legend", you have an equal amount who don't want Phil Parkinson because of "Colchester".

I wouldn't mind either AB or Parkinson, or anyone else who is able to turn this ****show around.

As it happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see Garry Waddock handed the job, it seems to have escaped everyone's notice but he is still employed by Southend United.

As it happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see Garry Waddock handed the job, it seems to have escaped everyone's notice but he is still employed by Southend United.

I can just about forgive Ron for Bond. We all make mistakes or poor judgement calls and to be honest a large majority of us wanted him to be given a chance permanently during the Summer after the escape despite latent reservations.

But if he follows it up with Waddock then he wants shooting.

Dimwit, delusion is rampant, in dream land.

Seeing your location, I actually put your post into Google Translate, translated it into Portuguese and then back to English and got this -

But illusion is rampant in dreamland.

I'm still none the wiser.

Watching on, it does seem to me that the current squad would benefit from a few things. Clear consistency of system and way of playing that suits the players we have, someone who can come in and lift the mood and get the players playing for each other and the shirt, and someone who can magic a couple of decent wingers from thin air because that part of our squad has been criminally neglected.

Barrett I believe has studied for his Pro Licence, he'd definitely tick at least one box there and he knows the club inside out. People are rightly worried about tarnishing a legend, but sometimes you have to be brave. Tilson for example was being overlooked for a long time before his stint as caretaker made it difficult to ignore. Mike Flynn at Newport - would he have got his chance elsewhere? Sometimes the best place to learn is somewhere you know, somewhere you are loved and respected and are allowed to make a couple of mistakes.

Adam Barrett for me. I'm sure he would at the very least lift us all and he's a born leader who would have the respect of the dressing room from the word go. If we do give it to Barrett though, we have to allow him time. Already, with two games shorn off the season and a very long August, we are facing a real uphill battle to stay in this league. As long as there are signs of progress, you can't bring someone in now and then sack them in May if they don't complete this difficult task. We as fans have to accept there is a very real chance of us being back in League Two next season, no matter who gets the job. At the moment, we are an oil tanker heading very quickly towards the rocks. It's going to take time to turn it around.

Watching on, it does seem to me that the current squad would benefit from a few things. Clear consistency of system and way of playing that suits the players we have, someone who can come in and lift the mood and get the players playing for each other and the shirt, and someone who can magic a couple of decent wingers from thin air because that part of our squad has been criminally neglected.

Barrett I believe has studied for his Pro Licence, he'd definitely tick at least one box there and he knows the club inside out. People are rightly worried about tarnishing a legend, but sometimes you have to be brave. Tilson for example was being overlooked for a long time before his stint as caretaker made it difficult to ignore. Mike Flynn at Newport - would he have got his chance elsewhere? Sometimes the best place to learn is somewhere you know, somewhere you are loved and respected and are allowed to make a couple of mistakes.

Adam Barrett for me. I'm sure he would at the very least lift us all and he's a born leader who would have the respect of the dressing room from the word go. If we do give it to Barrett though, we have to allow him time. Already, with two games shorn off the season and a very long August, we are facing a real uphill battle to stay in this league. As long as there are signs of progress, you can't bring someone in now and then sack them in May if they don't complete this difficult task. We as fans have to accept there is a very real chance of us being back in League Two next season, no matter who gets the job. At the moment, we are an oil tanker heading very quickly towards the rocks. It's going to take time to turn it around.

Jai, I think you have made a very strong case for Adam Barrett. Sometimes the worst risk in life is not to take any risk at all, and while Barrett may lack managerial experience, he has an abundance of other qualities that must make him a strong contender for the job.

I think I still lean towards Phil Parkinson but if that is not possible (and it probably is not) I think a Barrett/Tilson combination or a Barrett/Clark team might rapidly galvanise our team and getting them playing much closer to their full potential.

I'd personally be very pleased if Ron can somehow persuade Phil Parkinson, surely a Championship boss in all but current employment status, to take over a side effectively bottom of League One. But let's be honest, I agree with you that it's not going to happen.

I'd certainly be supportive of Barrett with an experienced assistant.

Back