• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question The Powell/Barrett issue

I still Class Powell as a Legend and actually I have fond memories of when he 1st came in and saved us from relegation and we played out of our skin, Roots hall was rocking again. Things obviously turned as for many reasons but that’s football.
If Adam Barrett comes in his legacy wont be ruined because let’s face it, we will eventually remember him mainly for all the good he did...
Unless he takes us to the national league that is haha.
I think he could be a good manager for us, I guess there is only one way to find out.

Chris Powell was harshly sacked in my opinion. The position we found ourselves in was almost entirely due to the unprecedented number of injuries. several of which are still not fit enough to return.I remain convinced that Bond's appointment had little to do with our staying up. The players wanted it badly enough,when it really mattered.

One thing I am sure of, had Chris Powell remained in charge, we wouldn't be in this mess now, but of course we will never know whether we would have been in League 2.

Therefore to answer the question, I would not be adverse to Barrett taking the job, if he was the best candidate.

To be fair the same could have been said for PB too.

One thing we can’t expect is for any new face to come in and for us to go on a winning run. Most likely we will be in a relegation battle and as has been said, we may go down. I think most of us had prepared for that pre-Sunderland to be honest hence the outpouring of relief and joy. So I’m prepared for it again. Therefore .. give Barrett (and others, with more experience to help him?) the job but with the aim of getting us out of league 2 with record points and doubles over Orient and ColU. IF we stay up it’ll be an amazing bonus. Face it, we are in a dogfight. I’d happily have AB by my side, battle gear on.

It's so harsh to judge any manager last season given the worst injury crisis I've seen in 30 odd years. Also so nip and tuck. For example I still believe that if we had held on at Blackpool last season for the win that would have changed everything and Powell wouldn't have been sacked and we would have stayed up a tad more comfortably. I only want one man to man to mange this club...Adam motherbleeping Barrett

Watching on, it does seem to me that the current squad would benefit from a few things. Clear consistency of system and way of playing that suits the players we have, someone who can come in and lift the mood and get the players playing for each other and the shirt, and someone who can magic a couple of decent wingers from thin air because that part of our squad has been criminally neglected.

Barrett I believe has studied for his Pro Licence, he'd definitely tick at least one box there and he knows the club inside out. People are rightly worried about tarnishing a legend, but sometimes you have to be brave. Tilson for example was being overlooked for a long time before his stint as caretaker made it difficult to ignore. Mike Flynn at Newport - would he have got his chance elsewhere? Sometimes the best place to learn is somewhere you know, somewhere you are loved and respected and are allowed to make a couple of mistakes.

Adam Barrett for me. I'm sure he would at the very least lift us all and he's a born leader who would have the respect of the dressing room from the word go. If we do give it to Barrett though, we have to allow him time. Already, with two games shorn off the season and a very long August, we are facing a real uphill battle to stay in this league. As long as there are signs of progress, you can't bring someone in now and then sack them in May if they don't complete this difficult task. We as fans have to accept there is a very real chance of us being back in League Two next season, no matter who gets the job. At the moment, we are an oil tanker heading very quickly towards the rocks. It's going to take time to turn it around.
I think the consistent system is key. We look so confused. Whoever the new manager is really needs to identify a team and a way of playing and work on that, grove the team to it. It won't be pretty, and it shouldn't be. First of all we need to be tough to beat. A clean sheet or two would be a great start so let's get that bit in first. Probably means a lot of boring work on the training ground doing defensive drills.
Then the second bit is that whoever comes in needs time. Their only objective is to stay in this division. Right now anything else is a bonus. We can't expect anything much for a while so as long as we see some progress we should be encouraged. Football is a results game but we're so bad right now we need to focus on the process for a while until we can worry about the results later on. That's tough for fans but that's where we are now

I think the consistent system is key. We look so confused. Whoever the new manager is really needs to identify a team and a way of playing and work on that, grove the team to it. It won't be pretty, and it shouldn't be. First of all we need to be tough to beat. A clean sheet or two would be a great start so let's get that bit in first. Probably means a lot of boring work on the training ground doing defensive drills.
Then the second bit is that whoever comes in needs time. Their only objective is to stay in this division. Right now anything else is a bonus. We can't expect anything much for a while so as long as we see some progress we should be encouraged. Football is a results game but we're so bad right now we need to focus on the process for a while until we can worry about the results later on. That's tough for fans but that's where we are now

We've yet to have the same defence start two consecutive games. How are the defenders supposed to build partnerships when the bloke next to them changes every game?

Seeing your location, I actually put your post into Google Translate, translated it into Portuguese and then back to English and got this -

But illusion is rampant in dreamland.

I'm still none the wiser.
You seems to have the same delusion as those Brexit trolls who haunt social media. Little if any reality and bugger all idea. I can only assume you are one and the same.

phil parkinson all day long for me and he will be appointed this week i hope... cannot be adam barrett.. great guy..met him a few times ..ggreat player and heart of a lion but give it a few years before we thow him into the lions den at roots hall/fossets.

I for one would love to see Sir Adam as our manager. My only worry would be that Adam & Ron have crossed swords in the past, would Adam be given as much freedom as another, or would Ron try to micro manage him? Adam is very head strong and very much his own man. Come on Ron let AB have the job, but keep well out of the way and let him run the team!

Fulham - Parker
Bristol Rovers - Coughlan
Rochdale - Barry-Murphy
Millwall - Harris
Charlton - Bowyer

At the top level

Rangers - Gerrard
Chelsea - Lampard
Man United - Solskjaer

All of these guys took these jobs with little to no experience of ever being a manager and they are all more than holding their own. Many of them managing the club they once played for... Why not us? Why not Adam Barrett?

who ever takes the job on...….good luck you will need it, if it isn't turned around PDQ then you will get roasted on here like a frigging chestnut at christmas

Parkinson all day long, got vast experience and more importantly experience of tough situations & he has had success in the lower leagues....... I know every appointment is a gamble but you feel some are less of a gamble than others.

As far as Barrett goes, its a massive gamble - if he wanted/if we were interested in giving him the job he should have got it in the summer with half a chance to do it his way. Right Now Southend is not the place to come in and sharpen his teeth in management, for sure we want his passion, pride and all that but personally I want someone that's a bit more proven, someone who will know his backroom team and can hit the ground running, its down to a 38 game season for us and we cant afford time for a new manager to be 'learning the ropes'.

The question is hypothetical and irrelevant as such. However, given the present situation I would prefer RM to appoint an experienced manager.

You seems to have the same delusion as those Brexit trolls who haunt social media. Little if any reality and bugger all idea. I can only assume you are one and the same.

Remember Chomsky's wonderful phrase:-" Colorless green ideas sleep furiously." which was meant to show that a sentence can be meaningless while gramatically "correct".

BTW,I doubt very much that fbm is a "Brexit troll" having met him once (albeit briefly).

Remember Chomsky's wonderful phrase:-" Colorless green ideas sleep furiously." which was meant to show that a sentence can be meaningless while gramatically "correct".

BTW,I doubt very much that fbm is a "Brexit troll" having met him once (albeit briefly).
He and I have, I hope closed this off. The comment was poorly worded in the previous iteration and I over reacted. I do however think that heart is overtaking what's best for the club in this situation with a high percentage of zone posters..

One day I must drop in as we pass through your part of France, one or twice a year.

phil parkinson all day long for me and he will be appointed this week i hope... cannot be adam barrett.. great guy..met him a few times ..ggreat player and heart of a lion but give it a few years before we thow him into the lions den at roots hall.

Edited for accuracy.

Back