• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Premier League and the EFL bailout

I fully understand why supporters of most premier league clubs don’t like this, and championship clubs with designs on being in the premiership don’t like it.
I don’t like getting rid of the league cup as we ( and many other small clubs) have had brilliant memories in that competition.
But if loosing the league cup means Fl clubs stop going out of business then maybe it’s a price worth paying?

I don’t believe that EFL chairman would agree to this without seeing the detail and understanding the detail.
More detail will come out and it will become clearer which fears are real and which are not relevant.

I don’t care about the EPL or EPL clubs, they have had years to come up with plans to redistribute their wealth and this year waa the obvious time to actually do it, rather than put staff on furlough. They continued to do f all to help small clubs. Now they are seeing what it’s like to be on the other side.

From BBC Sport:

Nigel Travis, chairman of League Two's Leyton Orient, said: "I'd say in League Two it was probably 23 out of 24 clubs [in favour]. One club raised a number of interesting issues."

One club raised issues? ONE club? Had the other 23 not even thought about it.....?

This is a terrible move and something that I hope SUFC will reject, however I’m hearing rumours that some clubs are in favour, Paul Scally the Gillingham chairman for one who has just been interviewed on the BBC

From BBC Sport:

Nigel Travis, chairman of League Two's Leyton Orient, said: "I'd say in League Two it was probably 23 out of 24 clubs [in favour]. One club raised a number of interesting issues."

One club raised issues? ONE club? Had the other 23 not even thought about it.....?

The big problem is that most l2 clubs live hand to mouth and the lure of the big financial 'bung' is very seductive in the short term - which is why many clubs would be signing up. Trouble is, it is a terrifying overall proposition that hands massive power to the wrong people - essentially making both the PL and EFL governance redundant and allowing self interest and greed to dominate.

I think that Mark Palios is the best option we have for fighting these proposals as he seems to be the only League two chairman to publicly call this out. If he can see it, journalists see it, the supporters see it, but club owners dont, it says to me that the snake oil charmers are out in force...

There is and always has been enough money in football to solve all its problems. Absolutely no way should they receive a penny in government help.

The only reason any club gets in trouble is paying out way to much in wages....If Bury FC had been a bakery and paying its staff £50 an hour we would laugh at them when they went bust, rather than make excuses and whinge on their behalf.

Where the government should step in and start jailing people is for tax fraud. Many PL players players register as a company and pay taxes overseas. No i'm not interested in loop holes, you knew exactly what you were doing so pay up.

Personally I would issue a bill for every player and accountant who has robbed us in the last 20 years......6 months to pay up or 20 years in the new supermax prison I have just opened.....Just to show I mean business the first few people jailed would be Gary Lineker, several MP's and the CEO of Amazon.

Going forward, Any player earning more than £100,000 per week will have to 'adopt' a grass roots club. That way they can at least see their taxes being well spent and a dose of reality in the community would do both sides the world of good.

This is a terrible move and something that I hope SUFC will reject, however I’m hearing rumours that some clubs are in favour, Paul Scally the Gillingham chairman for one who has just been interviewed on the BBC

Ron is in favour of it! see post 52.

Im not necessarily in favour of specific Financial support from the Government but could live with it if they did decide to chip in , as a partner , to help out the arts and sports a bit more given the vital nature of Community culture in the current environment

However I did like their threat which was to ensure far greater supporter involvement throughout the process and the organisations involved, perhaps even giving supporters a majority say if these Organisations could not come to a sensible agreement, I wish they would get on with that bit though as they have been proposing it for some time

I think it might be time for the government to bang some heads on this. Problem is we currently have the most inept government in history.

There is and always has been enough money in football to solve all its problems. Absolutely no way should they receive a penny in government help.

The only reason any club gets in trouble is paying out way to much in wages....If Bury FC had been a bakery and paying its staff £50 an hour we would laugh at them when they went bust, rather than make excuses and whinge on their behalf.

Where the government should step in and start jailing people is for tax fraud. Many PL players players register as a company and pay taxes overseas. No i'm not interested in loop holes, you knew exactly what you were doing so pay up.

Personally I would issue a bill for every player and accountant who has robbed us in the last 20 years......6 months to pay up or 20 years in the new supermax prison I have just opened.....Just to show I mean business the first few people jailed would be Gary Lineker, several MP's and the CEO of Amazon.

Going forward, Any player earning more than £100,000 per week will have to 'adopt' a grass roots club. That way they can at least see their taxes being well spent and a dose of reality in the community would do both sides the world of good.

No sane person disagrees with your 'Lock Lineker up' narrative, but a football club is not a bakery. Or at the very least it is not supposed to be. For what purpose would you categorise them in the same way?

The lower division chairman are simply interested in the short term bail out to save their skins... rather than the future of the game and structure
Naturally if your club is in existential danger that will somewhat focus the minds. If the Gov and Prem really wanted to focus properly on the future of the game and structure, they would have had their own proposals presented weeks ago to address the short term catastrophe facing many.

Instead they just sit pointing the finger at each other, failing totally to show a grain of leadership or a hint of urgency. And they then have the brass neck to critisise other solutions when they have offered, and continue to offer, precisely nothing.

Dont blame the EFL (can't believe I typed that), don't blame the EFL clubs, blame the utterly pointless duo of organisations responsible.

Please see post 53!

The big problem is that most l2 clubs live hand to mouth and the lure of the big financial 'bung' is very seductive in the short term - which is why many clubs would be signing up. Trouble is, it is a terrifying overall proposition that hands massive power to the wrong people - essentially making both the PL and EFL governance redundant and allowing self interest and greed to dominate.

I think that Mark Palios is the best option we have for fighting these proposals as he seems to be the only League two chairman to publicly call this out. If he can see it, journalists see it, the supporters see it, but club owners dont, it says to me that the snake oil charmers are out in force...

Palios loves Tranmere.

Palios has dealt with the PL in a previous existence.

Palios is a chartered accountant, who fully understands football finance.

What Palios says on this issue is well worth listening to.

The trouble with many football chairmen is they're not fit for purpose.
Most climb the rungs of commerce to make their money, and most are clueless when it comes to running a football club.
Bless them: I had dealings with Chris Wright and Tony Fernandes (both QPR) and Mo Fayed at Fulham - and what they initially knew about football as a corporate entity could be poured into a thimble.
And yet, they were all millionaires in their own corporate spheres.
Somehow, and they probably don't know either, none of their commercial savvy paid off in football.
To have them make a decision like this is worth worrying about.
The Americans at the heart of this are no more than venture capitalists.
They see football on their knees, as per an ailing company, and want to cash in on the current misery.
Help football?
My a•••! As Jim Royle used to say.

The plan as it is dead but the PL are giving to L1 and L2 a combined £27.2 million in advanced solidarity payments, £20 million short term grant, and there's a £30 million pot for clubs that might go under.

Appears the PL clubs have met virtually and ruled out the suggestions forcefully.
Will set up process to come up with a new Strategic Plan to address the issues (don't hold your breath..)
But one snippet - £50m for L1 and L2 clubs agreed. Nothing at the moment for Championship
Imagine the £50m will be something like £30m L1 and £20m L2 so looking at something like £800k I am guessing. Depends if it is distributed evenly in divisions- at one point they was a suggestion it was aimed at replacing gate money and hence would be based on average attendances. No doubt it will be clearer soon..

Back