• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Premier League and the EFL bailout

EkMjELJXYAwxaj9

Interesting it says that 25% that will go to EFL clubs will be from combined Premier League and FL revenues. Are they essentially taking away the Football League revenue and then giving it back just to claim to be giving the EFL more money?

Also, paying for stadium improvements across the top four divisions at £100 per seat? I wonder if Ron saw that one...

Personally, I think the negatives massively outweigh the positives.

I think I am in a minority here. I don’t care about the EPL and don’t care if the smaller clubs don’t like it.
If the EPL is passing down 25% of income and if that is fact and it protected then that potentially ( we need to know the details) protects lower league teams for ever.

personally I am not worried about U21 EPL teams, in my opinion it won’t ever happen.Steve kavangh and Sean Harvey explained to a small group of us once why it would NEVER happen and I agree with them, but I understand why others are more sceptical.
Protects lowers league teams forever?

Once they have the power they can do whatever they want.

Kavanagh and Harvey?!?

That’s alright then.
Forever- maybe a bad choice of words, if the rules are written correctly then the EFL can protect itself as much as possible.

The EFL changed their rules book to make PL2 teams near impossible. I would expect them to want the EPL to do something that gave us the same safety.
No they can’t do what they want. Do you seriously think the EFl would vote on something that made that possible?

Kavanagh and Harvey- two people that know far more about this sort of thing than you
and spoke at length to explain why this would not happen. The near boycott of u21 games in the EFL trophy was not missed , our voices were heard.

I’m a glass half full kind of person .i would rather Look on things positively. That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t look at the terms of a deal with open eyes and consider every eventuality.

never Waste a crisis .. it’s peak panic time for efl clubs. The prem top 6 can leverage that to extract a deal that seems great, and short term it may be. But the long game will be a disaster for English football..
it’s like dealing with the EU. Or the USA deal early on in ww2.
look 10/15 years down the road to see where the real action is, and that time will fly by ..

Oh and also, Be assured that any extra money will be phished away on wages as clubs do the usual to get promoted

I think I am in a minority here. I don’t care about the EPL and don’t care if the smaller EPL clubs don’t like it.
If the EPL is passing down 25% of income and if that is fact and it protected then that potentially ( we need to know the details) protects lower league teams for ever. ( as long as we have a wage cap so we don’t end up just spending it all on wages)

personally I am not worried about U21 EPL teams, in my opinion it won’t ever happen.Steve kavangh and Sean Harvey explained to a small group of us once why it would NEVER happen and I agree with them, but I understand why others are more sceptical.
As the old song do say: 'The 12th of November is a long, long time...'
From all I can glean, the elite are unwilling to sign something that says: 'forever'.
They want to do it on a handshake.
But I'll bet a gold pig the minute they get their hands on an elite status and a new super league they won't be giving that back in a hurry.
Does anyone really want an untouchable football elite?
There would be no more surprises from the likes of Leicester and Blackburn, and what a mockery that would make of the pyramid!

Last edited:
I think I am in a minority here. I don’t care about the EPL and don’t care if the smaller clubs don’t like it.
If the EPL is passing down 25% of income and if that is fact and it protected then that potentially ( we need to know the details) protects lower league teams for ever.

Forever- maybe a bad choice of words, if the rules are written correctly then the EFL can protect itself as much as possible.

The EFL changed their rules book to make PL2 teams near impossible. I would expect them to want the EPL to do something that gave us the same safety.
No they can’t do what they want. Do you seriously think the EFl would vote on something that made that possible?

Kavanagh and Harvey- two people that know far more about this sort of thing than you
and spoke at length to explain why this would not happen. The near boycott of u21 games in the EFL trophy was not missed , our voices were heard.

I’m a glass half full kind of person .i would rather Look on things positively. That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t look at the terms of a deal with open eyes and consider every eventuality.
I m not sure it is as easy as the EFL (however good they are) writing the rules so they are protected. I read this as the big teams wanting more say over how the prem is run, and then after that they can vote (the big 6) to change anything that is contracted to the PL that is about to run out. If you think the PL big wigs (top 6) will vote in a rule saying they EFL get 25% of all PL and EFL revenue (after certain deductions as laid out already) Then I think you may be wrong. There will be all sorts of things in there which will allow them to changethings after a certain number of years. They are only looking to protect themselves, the 20 million is a loan to be repaid from the 25% over a number of years (likely to be the term of the 25% agreement. The 100 million is a bribe to get clubs to accept the deal. The money will almost certainly be weighted in favour of championship clubs as well.

Only seen the summaries of the deal but it doesn’t inspire me for long term

Apparently they need a 14 club majority for the proposals to be approved at tomorrows meeting and the latest intelligence is that at least 13 clubs are against it, so hopefully dead in the water??!

That doesn't mean it will go away. There is loads and loads of great stuff in this plan. Unfortunately the one aspect that makes it unpalatable to just about everyone is probably the only one that they will refuse to negotiate.

There's a clear reason why 9 teams have been picked. It gives the illusion of power to three, but as the majority only needs to be 6, it is clearly a chance for the big six clubs to acts as a cartel to protect their own interests. It is corruption, plain and simple.

Oh and also, Be assured that any extra money will be phished away on wages as clubs do the usual to get promoted

I think one of the issues is that basically whoever comes up from the Champo will come straight back down. I know that pretty much happens most of the time anyway but it will entrench it further. Among the proposals is a hard salary cap for the EFL, which means whoever comes up will be at an immediate disadvantage. This is why there is potential for the 14 non big six clubs to be swayed. The chance of a reprieve for 16th place would I'm sure be very tempting for some.

It is interesting that some chairmen in the EFL have come out strongly in favour of this. Clearly they will be well aware of the ramifications of handing more power to the big clubs. Maybe it just goes to show how desperate things are.

Unfortunately Ron seems to think these proposals are a good idea. Quoted in today's Metro "From what we do know it does appear to represent a fairer and sustainable way forward for the football family"

The problem here is the Gov is missing in action, the Premier League have failed to come up with any plan at all, clubs will start to go out og business over the next 4-5 weeks, and this is the only plan in town.

So its pointless the Gov and Premier League whinging and whining about not liking the plan when they are in a highly damaging standoff that means they are sitting on their hands providing no alternative.

There is an old saying in business about if you don't agree with something, or think something a bad idea, and want to complain then don't just criticise- bring a solution as well as the problem.

As many on here know I have little time for the EFL- a partial and poorly run organisation at best. But in this case they see the disaster just over the hill and have no choice but to support the only plan in town and which keeps EFL clubs alive.

Generally I agree with your posts but not this one.

Instead of climbing into bed with his ex employers, Parry and the EFL should have been knocking the government’s door down demanding support for its members.

Parry is a Premier League puppet and the EFL are one of the most incompetent organisations in the land with a history of idiocy stretching way back.

All today’s EFL club owners are exactly that - today’s owners.

If today provides them with a huge cash windfall then they have a conflict of interest because they can take that money today and **** tomorrow. Pocket it or repay their investment in spades and get out with a profit.

The fans are around today and tomorrow and with six foreign owners running our game there won’t be a tomorrow - the current EFL club owners won’t care because they’ll be long gone.

Fortunately the current 14 vote required majority should **** this nonsense.

The EFL Clubs priority should be a complete revamp of their League’s management team and the recruitment of a visionary CEO with the interests of the entire EFL as a priority.

I didn't realise this before but Rick Parry was the CEO of Liverpool FC for 10 years and is a lifelong fan of the club, seems to me like he might have more interest in seeing Liverpool come out of the deal well than the clubs he's supposed to represent.

I didn't realise this before but Rick Parry was the CEO of Liverpool FC for 10 years and is a lifelong fan of the club, seems to me like he might have more interest in seeing Liverpool come out of the deal well than the clubs he's supposed to represent.

.....and note carefully Rigsby’s concerns about how any windfall cash will be allocated by the EFL......

It is nothing more than a opportunist power grab by two clubs when football is struggling by offering a sugar coated pill to help the medicine go down.

If this goes through there would nothing to stop the clubs changing the rules in their favour at every opportunity. In effect they would be creating a cartel.

They would soon vote out the likes West Ham and Southampton from their cosy new club (divide and rule), reduce the payments to other clubs, change the entry rules to the lucrative but mis-named Champions League, and if they simply didn't like a club, they could just take away its license to operate.

If Bill Gates finally comes to his senses and throws his financial muscle behind Southend, that would certainly be vetoed.

We would effectively be allowing two foreign-owned clubs to run English football as they see fit for as long they can be bothered, hoovering up as much money as they can in the process.

Rick Parry should ashamed of his self, he is just selling his soul to the devil and will be dropped like a hot potato when he has served his purpose.

I am not a fan of the PL, it needs reform, but this is not the answer.

Generally I agree with your posts but not this one.

Instead of climbing into bed with his ex employers, Parry and the EFL should have been knocking the government’s door down demanding support for its members.

Parry is a Premier League puppet and the EFL are one of the most incompetent organisations in the land with a history of idiocy stretching way back.

All today’s EFL club owners are exactly that - today’s owners.

If today provides them with a huge cash windfall then they have a conflict of interest because they can take that money today and **** tomorrow. Pocket it or repay their investment in spades and get out with a profit.

The fans are around today and tomorrow and with six foreign owners running our game there won’t be a tomorrow - the current EFL club owners won’t care because they’ll be long gone.

Fortunately the current 14 vote required majority should **** this nonsense.

The EFL Clubs priority should be a complete revamp of their League’s management team and the recruitment of a visionary CEO with the interests of the entire EFL as a priority.
Don’t get me wrong- I am not saying I prefer this plan to the alternative of the Gov or Prem League or longer term the EFL sorting themselves out. Or even like it very much. But I am struggling to see the alternative given neither the Gov or Prem short term (when it’s needed) seem willing to act. I think the EFL have been kicking the Gov door down but they are just be redirected in the direction of the PL (and vice versa). Let’s hope this prompts some belated meaningful proposals...

Back