• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The price of Missiles!

Winkle

Manager
As quoted in todays paper
"Defence expert Francis Tusa said yesterday Britain pays around £1.5million for a pair of air-launched Storm Shadow bombs.
Each sea-launched Tomahawk sets us back about £900,000 a throw. And Mr Tusa, editor of Defence Analysis, said Tornado jets cost £40,000 to be in the air for an hour."
Gulp, I am not being funny but £900,000 for something that goes bang is alot. Maybe they could get something cheaper like, an "Airbomb" repeater rocket with some T.N.T. Strapped to it dropped out of a glider, reckon that wil save £899,990 pounds.
Please feel free to add your suggestions in saving blighty some wonga!

Seeing as these pilots are now getting a good amount of operational trigger time, I suspect that training missions aren't happening at the moment, and won't be as necessary in the weeks after this mission ends, so a lot of the 'costs' are effectively an extention of normal operating costs. For example, it will cost the same to have a Tornado flying in the air over Norfolk for a few hours as it will flying over Libya...

As quoted in todays paper
"Defence expert Francis Tusa said yesterday Britain pays around £1.5million for a pair of air-launched Storm Shadow bombs.
Each sea-launched Tomahawk sets us back about £900,000 a throw. And Mr Tusa, editor of Defence Analysis, said Tornado jets cost £40,000 to be in the air for an hour."
Gulp, I am not being funny but £900,000 for something that goes bang is alot. Maybe they could get something cheaper like, an "Airbomb" repeater rocket with some T.N.T. Strapped to it dropped out of a glider, reckon that wil save £899,990 pounds.
Please feel free to add your suggestions in saving blighty some wonga!

I feel it would be money well spent if they aimed the missiles at Tehran. Or better still, Mecca. (Standing by for leftie bile and bingo jokes).

Seeing as these pilots are now getting a good amount of operational trigger time, I suspect that training missions aren't happening at the moment, and won't be as necessary in the weeks after this mission ends, so a lot of the 'costs' are effectively an extention of normal operating costs. For example, it will cost the same to have a Tornado flying in the air over Norfolk for a few hours as it will flying over Libya...
I totally agree with you there , when some people look at costs of conflict they do forget to transpose the fact that many "operations" take the place of training or day to day duties . So the costs are the same !
However its the R&D and manufacturers who dictate prices ;) , im not sure i want to call for more competion in this market mind :D

Use more.. then go for a volume discount on the next batch

Use more.. then go for a volume discount on the next batch

Reminds me of a great line from Nick DiPaolo - 'they say the electric chair constitutes cruel and unusual punishment - well fry a child molester every day and it won't be so unusual.'

Just get a black ops taskforce, equip them with the hacker perk and they can blow up Gadaffi's explosives... much cheaper

Let's not forget that if Doc Brown hadn't handed over a box of pinball machine parts Libya would be a nuclear power now.

Having been in a property used by Tornadoes as a "marker" I consider that money well spent!

Do they use the same bombs in training sessions?

Yes and no. When it comes to rounds, then yes, there is what is known as training ammunition, and operational ammunition. The difference? As far as I know, the packaging. I'd suggest it is the same with the RAF. Lewis Hamilton doesn't practice in a Ford Focus.....

The other thing is explosives have a best before date. I've thrown grenades to use them up, so to speak, and again, I'd suggest it can be the same with Tomahawks etc. I'm not for one second saying that we're bombing Libya for target practce, but I'm reiteratin that the true cost of this operation will not be as much as the media will claim..

Back