• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The problem is in the defense and not up front

Somerset Ex-TTB

Members
I know I am typing this whilst we are currently being outplayed by a very poor side in this division, and my thoughts might be somewhat tainted by the current debarcle up north.

However,

With all this talk of new forwards, it appears that T & B have failed to realise that over the course of the last 75 games we have probably had one of the worst defences in the country.

I have been saying it for months, Barrett and Clarke do not work.

If we still had Prior in this side, we would be comfortably in the top 3 or 4. As it is now, there is no way we are going to make the play-offs, and this season is well and truly mid-table obscurity.

Until Tilly and Ron Martin sorts out the defense this team, no matter how many bloody forwards we sign will not be going anywhere.

Oops, Gower has just scored, my comments still stand though.

I agree regarding the defensive situation but there's no disguising the fact we are also short in both numbers and quality up front and that needs addressing urgently

I agree regarding the defensive situation but there's no disguising the fact we are also short in both numbers and quality up front and that needs addressing urgently

Well on the premise we've scored 7 goals in the last two games maybe not as urgently as the defensive problems.

Thought we looked the safest with Richards and either Clarke or Barret with Collis behind them. Barret and Clarke are almost identical types of player, need the big man next to them

We now have the worst defensive record in the league away from home - 26 goals from 14 games. Which means on average we need to score 3 goals to take 3 points.

Not good enough. But I don't think we can just blame the centre halves &/or keeper. We just don't have enough defensively minded or defensively capable players in the team. Gower track back? McCormack or Bailey sit in front of the back 4? Hooper or Black win headers at set pieces?

I am p!ssed off with Daryl getting all this stick. How many games has he won us with wonder saves? I will return to my earlier point, our midfielders don't hold so play three centre halves, with Barrett as a libero so he can march forward and not leave us so exposed.

Just checked, and we have the 4th worst defense in the division at the moment, and have let in 40 goals in 27 games.

Thats almost twice as many as Notts Forest, and there are only 12 defences from the 72 football league clubs that are worse.

That is simply not good enough, and is so obvious that if it T & B do not get a centre back in then I will seriously start to question their judgement.

Thought we looked the safest with Richards and either Clarke or Barret with Collis behind them. Barret and Clarke are almost identical types of player, need the big man next to them

Many posters have shared this view and i agree with it also.
It's all about balance in the team and we just don't have it.Combine our defensive imbalance with being powder puff uptop and that is the reason we have lost so many games that we feel we should've won with our possession.

I fear the Leed's power play next Tues.
We certainly need to bring in 2 big defenders to compliment our passing style,thing is they would not even need to have a great passing game,just to simply compete and protect our goal.

I fear EVERY game Clarke and Barrett start together,coupled with Hammel and Hunt collectively they are powder puff,i would certainly fancy my chances if the ball got delivered into the box!

Back