• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Problem

J

The Chameleon
hopefully this can develop into a discussion, rather than silly comments made by middle aged men..

We are trying to play Championship football..
We won 2 successive promotions for one of many reasons.. and that was,

we played Southend United football.. flowing, crossing, passing, shooting... defending at set pieces

Now we have been promoted, we are trying to play everybody elses style of football.. and it isn't working, because we don't have a full championship squad..

if we started playing southend united football again, we would be fine...

the midfield cannot link with defence, and the strikers cannot link with midfield..

if we started playing our own game again.. we would see massive changes, especially now with a fit ricketts in the side..

I agree, its the same as when we tried to play it in the air in division 3, and we did nothing.

Only disagree with defending at set plays, we have been crap at that the last two years too

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper2thecore @ Oct. 02 2006,11:11)]Only disagree with defending at set plays, we have been crap at that the last two years too
i think this year though, clarke has put a lot of problems around him at set pieces.. especially with his positioning at corners etc..

What is "Southend United Football"? In the many years I've been watching the Shrimpers, I have seen everything from the sublime to the ridiculous. Last season we got lucky and we have to accept that. As the "punishment" for being lucky is that we got promoted to a league that we're clearly not ready for just yet. It's great to be here and I hope we stay here for a long time to come. But maybe we just achieved this success a little to quickly ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 02 2006,11:21)]...

BTW - This is us meeting someone we can't tell you about without compromising world peace.

ad2.jpg
i am going to open the offer again.. what is your problem? really? what is mike.. if you don't have one, then f%&k off.. just f%&king leave me alone you stalker..

once again, another thread hijacked and taken off course...

read the first line!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 02 2006,11:21)]Last season we got lucky and we have to accept that.
2 successive promotions isn't lucky..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Xàbia Shrimper @ Oct. 02 2006,11:21)]What is "Southend United Football"? In the many years I've been watching the Shrimpers, I have seen everything from the sublime to the ridiculous. Last season we got lucky and we have to accept that. As the "punishment" for being lucky is that we got promoted to a league that we're clearly not ready for just yet. It's great to be here and I hope we stay here for a long time to come. But maybe we just achieved this success a little to quickly ...
At a guess I would say Barry Harris , GHN , Shooter and yourself Mike dont know the other fella.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Oct. 02 2006,12:26)]2 successive promotions isn't lucky..
Why can't it be considered so? We almost cocked it up in 2005 and had to run the gauntlet of the play-off system. If that perfectly good but disallowed Lincoln goal had stood then it might have been a different story. But we were lucky. Same with last season. We were lucky in that League One was a very weak division last year; it had to be with us AND Col******r United taking the top two spots. To be fai, this can apply to every team in the Football League who confounds the so-called "expert" pundits. But I maintain that we were lucky and this season we are being found out. It will be a tough battle but I trust that Tilson and Brush will bring the fighting spirit to the fore and we'll have another chance next season ...

Lucky or not , we are in the Championship at present and people have to realise we are up against better teams ( I think 16 Championship sides have been in the Prem) and these teams have players of a far better quality than any we have played against for years. It is going to be a long season and if our players do not perform to the best of their ability week in week out we are going be in big trouble.
The one good thing is that we have matched our opponents in most games and if we take our chances and don't concede silly goals we might even win a few.
If the plans for the new ground are anywhere near approval by January , hopefully Ron might dig deeply in his pockets to enable us to strengthen where needed.

there is always that thing, that when clubs get a new ground... they seem to win promotions cups etc.. or am i grabbing at straws
sad.gif

Back