• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Don't want to be too critical on the club but some of the writing in the programme is terrible.

If you have Saturday's programme you may have noticed several articles written in a style which can only be described as absolute gibberish.

p24 Eric Odhiambo interview

'Eric Odhiambo may be in his adolescent years and seemingly swimming against the tide after a season of youth football, but the 18-year-old is quick off the mark in viewing his spell at Southend as the perfect chance to come of age.'

'Such a high tally (of goals) saw his progress continue to stagger and he will now be hoping to meet such lofty expectations on the Essex coastline, as a figurehead capable of providing a cutting edge upfield.'

p82 Walsall preview

'After carrying some serious momentum on their backs, Walsall have taken heed of a difficult start to propel themselves forward as one of the in-form teams of League One.'

'As a way of balancing out their problems, they clearly needed to show some battle hardened experience and such an element arrived in the shape of veteran striker Tommy Mooney.'

Even Tilly's column has been clearly ghost written by this fool.

Would Tilly ever say: 'We will be looking to assert ourselves against Crewe Alexandra today and experience another run of form in the league.'

It's embarrassing to read, maybe it's because I'm a journo I find it particularly grating. Just write in plain English man.

Thoughts?

Certainly a case of overcomplicating the articles is evident in the programme. Quite why the author doesn't use simpler language to get his point across is beyond me - perhaps he's trying to pad the article out a bit?

It sounds like it's been written in a foreign language and then translated using an online translator like babelfish!

I thought the interview with Adam Barrett was the biggest load of junk. It kept going on about the trivial pursuits board game. I really dunno where they get the interviewers from.:D :D

Speaking of programmes, the article about them in AAS was really entertaining. I wasn't around too much during the Colin Murphy era so really enjoyed reading some of those gems :hilarious:

Perhaps Zoltan Liptak's English is actually coming on better than some of us expected and, while he isn't playing, his skills are being put to good use ghost-writing for the programme?

Speaking of programmes, the article about them in AAS was really entertaining. I wasn't around too much during the Colin Murphy era so really enjoyed reading some of those gems :hilarious:

Thankyou very much Mr Uxbridge. Glad to know my afternoon of writing the other week was appreciated.
All alcoholic contributions of appreciation gratefully received.

It always seems to me that the person who writes the articles uses a Thesaurus but doesn't actually know what the words they use mean.

Back