• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
I was interested to see this in the news again with Sepp Blattering on about it. Apparently his comments were the strongest indication yet that it'll be held in the Summer.

This came as a surprise to me, as I thought his comments were the strongest indication yet that it would be switched to the winter. To paraphrase the great dictator: "Who first said that we should play in winter? It was first Franz Beckenbaur, second Michelle Platini and also the footballer's union. Bring back suspenders."

I took that as an endorsement for the winter world cup, what with Beckenbaur, respected the world over (played not just in Europe but also in the NASL), speaking as a player (World Cup winning captain, Intercontinental Cup winner) and manager (World Cup winning manager); Platini also speaking as a player (European Championship winning captain, Intercontinental Cup winner), manager (let's gloss over that), successful administrator (organiser of the World Cup in France, President of UEFA), and FINPRO, who speak for all the players.

I mean if the players, managers and administrators all back it, who exactly is opposing it? And don't say the fans, as playing it in Qatar shows a complete disregard for them anyway.

The other reason this is interesting, is the timing. There wasn't much fan-fare, but the Asian Cup was held out there last week as a dry-run (excuse the pun). This wasn't exactly a success with the tournament, being played in a country whose entire population is a fifth of that of London, unsurprisingly played out in front of tiny crowds. My spies tell me that even the final was a disaster, somehow combining empty stands with crowd trouble as thousands of supporters with tickets were locked out and it all turned a bit nasty. Of course, the European journalists flown out there on a junket appear to have omitted this from their reports and local journalists proclaimed unquestioningly the whole event a success.

Although to be fair, with Australia losing in the final, that's not entirely inaccurate.

Maybe the whole thing is a smokescreen to ensure people aren't asking too many questions as to why Russia got 2018?

I think, if anything, it exposes that FIFA fell for the romance of a Middle-Eastern World Cup, rather than judging the individual bids on their merits.

FIFA couldn't resist "bringing football" to a nation that, currently, has little desire for the sport and, as such, simply had to award it the World Cup. They didn't think about the heat, the rampant homophobia, the infrastructure problems or the prospect of hundreds of thousands of fans flying into a nation with next to no tourist trade... They were wooed by the legacy, and probably the sponsorship opportunities. Maybe a little bit by Zizou too.

They then thought about the problems associated with the bid and tried to subtlely force Qatar into altering their bid into one that would work... Alcohol will be allowed in designated zones, "There's no homophobia here", we'll play in the Winter instead. Qatari officials quite rightly stuck up for their bid, and FIFA have made a rod for their own backs.

In any case, FIFA have put their balls on the line with three high-risk appointments in a row. Qatar is an accident waiting to happen, Russia is a logistical nightmare and a Chechnya Rebel target if ever I've seen one. That, of course, leaves Brazil 2014... And I've heard FIFA are extremely worried about that.

I think, if anything, it exposes that FIFA fell for the romance of a Middle-Eastern World Cup, rather than judging the individual bids on their merits.

FIFA couldn't resist "bringing football" to a nation that, currently, has little desire for the sport and, as such, simply had to award it the World Cup. They didn't think about the heat, the rampant homophobia, the infrastructure problems or the prospect of hundreds of thousands of fans flying into a nation with next to no tourist trade... They were wooed by the legacy, and probably the sponsorship opportunities. Maybe a little bit by Zizou too.

They then thought about the problems associated with the bid and tried to subtlely force Qatar into altering their bid into one that would work... Alcohol will be allowed in designated zones, "There's no homophobia here", we'll play in the Winter instead. Qatari officials quite rightly stuck up for their bid, and FIFA have made a rod for their own backs.

In any case, FIFA have put their balls on the line with three high-risk appointments in a row. Qatar is an accident waiting to happen, Russia is a logistical nightmare and a Chechnya Rebel target if ever I've seen one. That, of course, leaves Brazil 2014... And I've heard FIFA are extremely worried about that.

Sounds like my bedroom.

Back