• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fudgebucket

Johnny Ball⭐
I have previously only posted once.

Unfortunately I am unable to make very many home games, and use this forum to find out news and more importantly the views of us the fans.

The post match threads are invaluable. They enable those who cannot make a game, feel what happened. The experiences of those who went are invaluable. It is really interesting to read peoples comments. Just from what someone writes you can tell so much about the person posting, their age, seasons following the blues, the style of play they prefer, the type of player they like etc. It is also good to read both the frustrations and the positives. It is at times like being in the pub

Then there are the posts from fans who have been following the club for years, and their experiences are something that will never happen again. The recent post started by Ozzie (photo’s thanks to LBBlue) was incredible viewing.

However, the posts over the past 6 (or maybe 9) months, have actually gotten myself to post for only the 2nd time.

There was a time when the post match thread was a true account of the experience that the poster had whilst attending the match (whether you agreed with the post or not, it was their experience and therefore valuable). This is now simply not true. We get many posters writing their opinion and not their experience (a lot of opinion posters have clearly not attended the game as they are contradicted by those who did, even those whose experiences are opposites).

We also have mysterious posters whose user names I am not familiar with. They are not familiar because they have only started posting recently. Although they do not troll (that is too strong), they do bait. Baiting is to be expected, and it it can be interesting, but not when a baiters argument is personal. Occasionally you’d get JohnnyStokes winding people up, but he is an Orient fan, and in some ways his baiting is actually interesting, as it always says a lot about us as SUFC fans.

Neither those who post match opinion nor those who bait personally add value to this forum.

Yet in the past this forum’s strength was the quality and value of the posters.

Recently the posts have started to become polluted. This is not just frustration and disappointment with the club. There has definitely been a change in how people post. It is also terrible to read that folk don’t understand why they have upset someone.

To show respect to someone else is to simply be polite.

It is really sad, as I’m not sure where else I should turn to catch up on news, views, gossip, pre-match threads, post-match threads, history, breaking news, etc……..

Agreed 100%. During the past few months Ken and I as Owners and all of our fantastic Mods have been at a loss as to why this has happened. We have discussed it at length and felt our hand was being forced so much by a few certain posters that we had no choice but to bring in a "naughty step" to The Zone. This was the last thing we wanted to do as up until recently the only people we banned were trolls.

Why on Earth people cannot respect members views or on the other hand just ignore those few that set out to bait others is something that is proving very troublesome for us. We all seem to spend half our time sorting out reported posts, PM'ing people or being forced to ban others that it makes the enjoyment of The Zone no fun for us either.

As you hopefully are aware we set out our stall in a thread (that is a "sticky") at the top of this forum http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...-abuse-and-turning-The-Zone-into-a-playground stating how we would in future deal with troublemakers and we will continue down this road until we eradicate this unwelcome change to how these forums are.

Please, please respect others views and either ignore the bait of some of put them on our own "ignore feature".

These forums, which are the envy of even some prem teams must and will get back on track. We do not want to spend our lives like teachers looking after silly children.

Good post - no, a very good post.

I post a lot of rubbish (and have had the odd day in poor spirits/under the influence of alcohol) but in general my aim is not to offend anyone but add to the 'joie de vie' of a thriving site.

And you are right, the post match analysis is invaluable - even when I wonder if I was at the same game! That is the beauty of the game - people see different things - 'vive la difference!'

Carry on posting ..... mind you, I can't help but be envious of the fact that you don't see many games at the moment ....... :whistling:

Exactly! I'm sure the majority don't mean to offend with their comments or opinions, but there will always be a few who just want to watch the world burn.

Agreed 100%. During the past few months Ken and I as Owners and all of our fantastic Mods have been at a loss as to why this has happened. We have discussed it at length and felt our hand was being forced so much by a few certain posters that we had no choice but to bring in a "naughty step" to The Zone. This was the last thing we wanted to do as up until recently the only people we banned were trolls.

Why on Earth people cannot respect members views or on the other hand just ignore those few that set out to bait others is something that is proving very troublesome for us. We all seem to spend half our time sorting out reported posts, PM'ing people or being forced to ban others that it makes the enjoyment of The Zone no fun for us either.

As you hopefully are aware we set out our stall in a thread (that is a "sticky") at the top of this forum http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/show...-abuse-and-turning-The-Zone-into-a-playground stating how we would in future deal with troublemakers and we will continue down this road until we eradicate this unwelcome change to how these forums are.

Please, please respect others views and either ignore the bait of some of put them on our own "ignore feature".

These forums, which are the envy of even some prem teams must and will get back on track. We do not want to spend our lives like teachers looking after silly children.

But what do you expect when you keep fools like wiggy or mrsblue on here!

Great post, mate. We all have our own opinions, but I don't see the need for people to get personal just because someone disagrees with you. We have a great forum with some top banter. Let's keep it that way.

By the way, how old am I perceived as (be careful !!), how many seasons following the blues, and what style of play and player do I prefer ? :winking:

Also if you want the good times back john SZ needs to have more of a community again off the website not just on it

Maybe separate the post-match ratings and reviews (purely for people to feedback their own thoughts and views on how the game went, with a reasonably rigid format/structure) from the general match post-mortem, discussion, feelings going forward?

Maybe separate the post-match ratings and reviews (purely for people to feedback their own thoughts and views on how the game went, with a reasonably rigid format/structure) from the general match post-mortem, discussion, feelings going forward?

Or just allow one post per person per post-match thread? (check out my alliteration)

This would be a good idea, one for debate and another for reviews.

I remember when everyone would give match ratings and their report, then it would go onto a discussion. Now it seems like more debate with a few reviews dotted around.

Once upon a time, I used to do "The fbm view and ratings" which for a while was the main match report for this site, but sadly time doesn't allow me to always do that now plus many others have equally good and probably better views/points to make.

But aside from that, it is a real shame that there is a minority of people who just seem intent on stirring or causing problems (TB - it's not just wiggy and mrsblue!). I guess it's not just a reserve of this board and is probably more of an indication of modern life and attitudes, when people can much more easily cause trouble from behind a keyboard.

As Professor Brian Cox says, the problem with today's world is that everyone believes they have the right to their opinion AND have someone listen to it. The correct statement of individual rights is that everyone has the right to an opinion, but crucially, that opinion can be roundly ignored and even made fun of, particularly if it is demonstrably nonsense!

Respect and tolerance is the key. Unfortunately too many people make it personal.

A fair shout, but then we are starting to get towards clogging the board up with threads for one game. You could have:

Southend v Bury pre-match thread (closed after the game)
Southend v Bury ref watch
Southend v Bury ratings and reports
Southend v Bury debate.

Overkill? Possibly. I do fully endorse the original post by fudgebucket though.

A fair shout, but then we are starting to get towards clogging the board up with threads for one game. You could have:

Southend v Bury pre-match thread (closed after the game)
Southend v Bury ref watch
Southend v Bury ratings and reports
Southend v Bury debate.

Overkill? Possibly. I do fully endorse the original post by fudgebucket though.

The RefWatch posts are really interesting and informative, but they don't really offer much discussion as a thread. IMO I think they could potentially be incorporated into the pre-match thread. The last 5 Ref Watch threads have had 4, 13, 4, 3 and 12 replies (but loads of views).

This isn't in any way a dig at Mick, he does great work. Just an observation. However I also appreciate that he puts them together when he gets the chance (which isn't always immediately after the preceding game). SZ would be worse without these posts, and I guess it's down to the owners and mods to work out what strategy maximises the enjoyment for all fans.

Also, after a match people are still free to start whatever threads they want (moaning mainly!). Maybe we don't even need a formal 'debate' thread, just let people start whatever rants or points they want to discuss.

The RefWatch posts are really interesting and informative, but they don't really offer much discussion as a thread. IMO I think they could potentially be incorporated into the pre-match thread. The last 5 Ref Watch threads have had 4, 13, 4, 3 and 12 replies (but loads of views).

This isn't in any way a dig at Mick, he does great work. Just an observation. However I also appreciate that he puts them together when he gets the chance (which isn't always immediately after the preceding game). SZ would be worse without these posts, and I guess it's down to the owners and mods to work out what strategy maximises the enjoyment for all fans.

Also, after a match people are still free to start whatever threads they want (moaning mainly!). Maybe we don't even need a formal 'debate' thread, just let people start whatever rants or points they want to discuss.

Loads of views and few replies suits me just fine ! It is intended to be informative not to provoke argument or even debate. If anyone wants to make any post match comments specifically about the referee rather than the game in general, the refwatch thread is as good a place as any.

I tend to prefer the factual stuff to the "discussions" anyway. Most people have their own views and, by and large, we know what they are and they aren't going to change by swapping insults.

Always read the refwatch posts, one of the best features on here. Think it's fine as it is, wouldn't want to miss it in amongst the pre match thread. Think the idea of a seperate ratings and discussion thread is a good one though

Loads of views and few replies suits me just fine ! It is intended to be informative not to provoke argument or even debate. If anyone wants to make any post match comments specifically about the referee rather than the game in general, the refwatch thread is as good a place as any.

I tend to prefer the factual stuff to the "discussions" anyway. Most people have their own views and, by and large, we know what they are and they aren't going to change by swapping insults.

yeah absolutely:thumbsup:

I don't think that splitting the discussion from the reviews will make much of a mess of the board. the reviews and ratings i really enjoy reading, the moaning threads I swerve. It's just one more thread per match.

yeah absolutely:thumbsup:

I don't think that splitting the discussion from the reviews will make much of a mess of the board. the reviews and ratings i really enjoy reading, the moaning threads I swerve. It's just one more thread per match.

Perhaps more could be made of the 'rate this thread' option?

Back