• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

turkishm

Director
PB might find it hard to fill the boots of those that are leaving. Players move around all the time, but loose Worrel,Payne and Bentley, arguably the three best players we have is a blow. Timlin is what 31, 32, has he still got the legs that makes him the player he was, maybe. I wish PB luck in the transfer market with our buget

if i could be bothered i could probably find a similar thread every year regarding losing important player, and I'm pretty sure there will be one this time next year. they will be replaced with the a couple of decent players and a few duds too... Just like they have been for many years, players come and go but until we find some billionaire Southend fan we will continue to lose our better players to higher divisions and bigger budgets...

PB might find it hard to fill the boots of those that are leaving. Players move around all the time, but loose Worrel,Payne and Bentley, arguably the three best players we have is a blow. Timlin is what 31, 32, has he still got the legs that makes him the player he was, maybe. I wish PB luck in the transfer market with our buget

As you say we lose players all the time and it really depends on who replaces them.

I am also not convinced they are our best players. Worrall was brilliant in our promotion season but very inconsistent last year. Payne was good in the second half of the season and it is a shame to miss out on his potential. I am pretty sure though that neither of them featured that much in our best spell so clearly we can get results without them.

Bentley is an excellent keeper but one of the easiest positions to fill; there will be experienced keepers released with league one and/or championship experience or young premiership keepers being loaned out plus we have Ted Smith as a minimum of a back up.

In the Echo today PB was saying with Payne going he was looking to play Wordsworth in a more attacking role. Wordsworth has an excellent goal scoring record at this level and provided he stays fit he is at least as good, if not better, than Payne.

perspective. Last season we were a L2 team expected to flirt with the play offs, this season we were expected to be relegation fodder, this year we are now past that difficult first season and gave a good account of ourselves. I expect we'll attract better talent than what we're likely to lose.

As you say we lose players all the time and it really depends on who replaces them.

I am also not convinced they are our best players. Worrall was brilliant in our promotion season but very inconsistent last year. Payne was good in the second half of the season and it is a shame to miss out on his potential. I am pretty sure though that neither of them featured that much in our best spell so clearly we can get results without them.

Bentley is an excellent keeper but one of the easiest positions to fill; there will be experienced keepers released with league one and/or championship experience or young premiership keepers being loaned out plus we have Ted Smith as a minimum of a back up.

In the Echo today PB was saying with Payne going he was looking to play Wordsworth in a more attacking role. Wordsworth has an excellent goal scoring record at this level and provided he stays fit he is at least as good, if not better, than Payne.

i think this would be a really good move.
he's not as much of a dribbler as Payne but I really think it's his best position

perspective. Last season we were a L2 team expected to flirt with the play offs, this season we were expected to be relegation fodder, this year we are now past that difficult first season and gave a good account of ourselves. I expect we'll attract better talent than what we're likely to lose.
If you think we'll attract better talent than Bentley and Payne this summer, then I strongly disagree with you.

If you think we'll attract better talent than Bentley and Payne this summer, then I strongly disagree with you.
This is my point, i can see no way we can attract the type of talent that is on its way out, and we ended up struggling with them.

This is my point, i can see no way we can attract the type of talent that is on its way out, and we ended up struggling with them.

Unless we were prepared to spend the same money then obviously not. We were always going to lose Bentley even before the season started. We will look to sign a keeper who is better/more experienced than Ted at the moment. PB won't risk such a vital position. Who ever ends up our number 1, they will be in for plenty of criticism as they simply won't be as good as Bentley.

Jack Payne is different than most so no point trying to compare any replacements. We did do well up until Christmas before Jack really started to be effective, which was only when he was played as a forward and not in the fans favourite behind a front two. We were unlucky that his contract was ending this year. Had he been here for another season who knows, Jack may well look back and wish that had been the case.

Worrall is easier to replace than a lot on the zone are claiming. Entertaining yes, but not great deal of end product. People will say about Atkinson......where's his goals, assists or his defence splitting passes. does he provide any crosses when he plays wide. So my question is the same for Worrall.....can anyone give me five examples in any combination of the above, in the last season.

Unless we were prepared to spend the same money then obviously not. We were always going to lose Bentley even before the season started. We will look to sign a keeper who is better/more experienced than Ted at the moment. PB won't risk such a vital position. Who ever ends up our number 1, they will be in for plenty of criticism as they simply won't be as good as Bentley.

Jack Payne is different than most so no point trying to compare any replacements. We did do well up until Christmas before Jack really started to be effective, which was only when he was played as a forward and not in the fans favourite behind a front two. We were unlucky that his contract was ending this year. Had he been here for another season who knows, Jack may well look back and wish that had been the case.

Worrall is easier to replace than a lot on the zone are claiming. Entertaining yes, but not great deal of end product. People will say about Atkinson......where's his goals, assists or his defence splitting passes. does he provide any crosses when he plays wide. So my question is the same for Worrall.....can anyone give me five examples in any combination of the above, in the last season.

I agree with your first point and whoever we get in will need to have a strong character as I do worry for them if they make any mistakes in the first few games.

I am not so convinced on the second point though. In our League 2 promotion winning season Bentley looked a class above but last year I saw a number of equally good keepers at Roots Hall. Time will tell but I would like to think we can attract a keeper with solid League One/Championship experience - maybe not an upgrade on Dan but of similar standard

We finished poorly last season mainly with Dan in goal. Not his fault I add, but more to do with the players in front of him. If we can sort out our defensive frailties that more than compensates for the goalkeeping position, even if the replacement is not quite up to Dan's standard.

I also agree with regards Payne. When he was good he was very good but there were also a number of games when he was largely anonymous and we proved last year that we can win without him

Back