• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The "Recommend me some cheap music" thread

seany t

President
This is an idea I've 'borrowed' off of another forum, but its a great idea. Basically, you search Amazon marketplace (UK) for music you would recommend to other folks selling at ludicrously low prices (less than £5).

Now unlike that forum, everyone's taste on here is going to be hugely eclectic / questionable, so maybe it'd be worth posting a small piece about the kind of music it's comparable to.

I'll give you a starting example:

Orbital - Work (1989 - 2002)
£1.96 (+ £1.24 postage)

Essentially a best of one of the UK's pioneering dance acts from the 90's. They kick-started rave with "Chime", gave us the genre-transcending "The Box" and along the way remixed the "Dr Who theme" (not on here it'd seem?) and rivaled The Prodigy's evilness with "Satan". If you liked earlier Underworld tracks, or wanted to take a punt on a truly ground-breaking electronic duo this is a great place to start for under £3.50.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...1_olp_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1218625339&sr=1-7

I've been doing this now on Drownedinsound for a year on and off, and for about £30 have now got into a dozen or so bands I'd never heard of previously. And it only takes 5 minutes...

i've done it quite a bit too off DiS, will keep my eyes open for some bargains!

I have a couple of CDs I have purchased from various Patagonian pan pipe acts in the high street which I sometimes listen to at work to release the tension.

I think the most expensive one was a fiver.

There is also a native American indian duo which are worth a listen but I didn't have time to purchase their offering.

This is an idea I've 'borrowed' off of another forum, but its a great idea. Basically, you search Amazon marketplace (UK) for music you would recommend to other folks selling at ludicrously low prices (less than £5).

Now unlike that forum, everyone's taste on here is going to be hugely eclectic / questionable, so maybe it'd be worth posting a small piece about the kind of music it's comparable to.

I'll give you a starting example:

Orbital - Work (1989 - 2002)
£1.96 (+ £1.24 postage)

Essentially a best of one of the UK's pioneering dance acts from the 90's. They kick-started rave with "Chime", gave us the genre-transcending "The Box" and along the way remixed the "Dr Who theme" (not on here it'd seem?) and rivaled The Prodigy's evilness with "Satan". If you liked earlier Underworld tracks, or wanted to take a punt on a truly ground-breaking electronic duo this is a great place to start for under £3.50.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...1_olp_7?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1218625339&sr=1-7

I've been doing this now on Drownedinsound for a year on and off, and for about £30 have now got into a dozen or so bands I'd never heard of previously. And it only takes 5 minutes...

do you have a link for the DiS thread cos i can't find it and the search is rubbish

Some more suggestions:

The best album by the best heavy rock band on the planet, Queens of the stone age, featuring Dave Grohl doing what he does best and beating the living crap out of a drum kit. "Songs for the deaf" - yours for about £4:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...1_olp_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219336011&sr=1-1

Great Scottish band who recently called it a day, Arab Strap. Very pioneering act from the 90's who featured just a guitarist and a mumbling vocalist / speaker. The music charts their journeys through life, so you get under-age drinking, sex scandals, drunken nights out etc through to the love of their lives. This album was one of their more downbeat offerings, but for £3 is a great entry into their world:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...1_olp_6?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1219336396&sr=1-6

Yes but Matt the Shrimp will tell you off later - it's your funeral pal....

It'll probably read like this:

Orm,

I have noted a reference you have made in the "Recommend me some cheap music" thread to you recommending "xxxxxxxxx.com"

There seems little doubt to me that your post could be interpreted as a suggestion to steal - that, somehow, stealing (especially music) is funny.

Please be warned: we will not tolerate stealing on ShrimperZone.com, and your post seems to be sailing extraordinarily close to it. Any further repetition of posts of this nature will result in a one-month ban from ShrimperZone.com. This PM constitutes your formal written warning as to your future conduct.

Yours sincerely,
on behalf of the owners of
ShrimperZone.com Limited

Matt

:)

I can recommend some dirt cheap music..
My band, the Tarquin Fauntleroy Experience is currently hawking demos of a potential new album to anyone who looks gullible.
It's a hardcore techno/ jazz funk/ Baroque/ Power Ballad fusion that will take the world by storm, trust me..
Our songs include Minge Benefits, Numpty Dumpty, I'm Gonna **** You Up and Swollen Glans.

The cover is an homage to Who's Next but instead of a urine stained lump of concrete, we're all standing rather proudly near some freshly laid, steaming faeces.

So, how about you send me, say, five sovs and I'll see what I can do..

Back