• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Ref on Friday Night

Westcliff Shrimper

Director of Footballs⭐
As one of my favourite hobbies is shouting abuse at the ref
tounge.gif
, I was pleasantly surprised at the performance of the man in the middle on Friday night. We can all agree that we have had some shocking referees at the Hall, but Mr Singh was very good - he let the game flow, and chose not to start waving cards around when it got a bit snappy.

Lets hope there is more refs like him from now on...

The ref wasn't that bad on Firday, I've thought that on the occasions he's refereed us before.

Unfortunately that didn't stop the five morons behind me from shouting all kinds of abuse at him all game...

He was OK but should have had serious words with his West linesman who kept flagging offside 10 seconds after the ball had been passed!

He was alrite, took some abused at first from the chavs behind me in the x block west stand. The linesman though were a little poo though, Ref let the game flow which was nice!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He was OK but should have had serious words with his West linesman who kept flagging offside 10 seconds after the ball had been passed!

Some of the linos decisions were late but this seasons law changes mean a "referees assistant" cannot flag a player offside until he becomes active. So basically they have to wait and see if the player in the offside position moves as if he is going to play the ball. The job of a referees assistant is not actually possible to do properly as they have to see when the ball is played whilst looking along the last line of defence. If a ball is coming from one half to another it just cant be done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpador @ Jan. 29 2006,11:09)]He was OK but should have had serious words with his West linesman who kept flagging offside 10 seconds after the ball had been passed!
there was one instance in the 2nd half when Wayne Gray was through but practically told to linesman to flag, instead of going down on goal he choose to give 2 looks at the lino as if to say "I'm offside arnt i?" and virtually stopping rather than just going for it.

As the Offside rule currently stands, linesmen have an impossible job.

With the Gray Offside, you could see Ian Searle wanted to put his flag up, but couldn't because Wayne Gray hadn't touched the ball! It's not his fault, justr the stupid rules at the moment.

IMO the rule should be that when the ball is played forward, and a player is in an offside position, regardless of what role he is playing, he should be offside!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maldon Blues @ Jan. 29 2006,13:13)]As the Offside rule currently stands, linesmen have an impossible job.

With the Gray Offside, you could see Ian Searle wanted to put his flag up, but couldn't because Wayne Gray hadn't touched the ball!  It's not his fault, justr the stupid rules at the moment.

IMO the rule should be that when the ball is played forward, and a player is in an offside position, regardless of what role he is playing, he should be offside!
It's hard but not impossible. The minute the forward involves himself in the game, the "lino" can and should flag. The incredibly late flags and consequential stick were entirely avoidable. Where do you get this idea that a player has to touch the ball to be offside? Where in the Laws does it say that. Some officials just don't help themselves.

Mr Singh did just fine, but he won't get many easier matches to referee.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 29 2006,11:55)]Couldn't we have sung:

Singh when we're winning
We like Singh when we're winning

smile.gif
You're obviously Sikhing an appropriate response...
wink.gif

I've always been impressed when I've seen Mr Singh ref our games

Trys to let the game flow and uses a bit of common sense

Had words with players when they needed to be had and punished those who needed to be

Lets hope for more refereeing performances like that

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kris @ Jan. 29 2006,15:16)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Jan. 29 2006,11:55)]Couldn't we have sung:

Singh when we're winning
We like Singh when we're winning

smile.gif
You're obviously Sikhing an appropriate response...  
wink.gif
And CI-City groaned at my attempt!

tounge.gif

Saw him referee a Canvey game a few years ago, I am really pleased to see him come through the ranks he was really good at the Canvey game and even had a laugh with the crowd.
Shame there are not more refs like him. maybe they should recruit more refs from the Asian community.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Csboy @ Jan. 29 2006,17:11)]Saw him referee a Canvey game a few years ago, I am really pleased to see him come through the ranks he was really good at the Canvey game and even had a laugh with the crowd.
Shame there are not more refs like him. maybe they should recruit more refs from the Asian community.
Not sure I approve of positive descrimination; he's a decent ref because of how he referees not because he's Asian. It's a bit like saying we should get more short referees after Mr Olivier has had a good game, as he usually does.

Probably the most noted Asian official was Alf Buksh, a postman from, I believe, North London. Never too far away from controversy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Jan. 29 2006,21:37)]Probably the most noted Asian official was Alf Buksh, a postman from, I believe, North London. Never too far away from controversy.
Ah! Good old Alf. I was only reminiscing about him on Friday, after the game.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ Jan. 29 2006,13:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Maldon Blues @ Jan. 29 2006,13:13)]As the Offside rule currently stands, linesmen have an impossible job.

With the Gray Offside, you could see Ian Searle wanted to put his flag up, but couldn't because Wayne Gray hadn't touched the ball!  It's not his fault, justr the stupid rules at the moment.

It's hard but not impossible. The minute the forward involves himself in the game, the "lino" can and should flag. The incredibly late flags and consequential stick were entirely avoidable. Where do you get this idea that a player has to touch the ball to be offside? Where in the Laws does it say that. Some officials just don't help themselves.

Mr Singh did just fine, but he won't get many easier matches to referee.
I must admit I can't recite the Laws of the Game off the top of my head, but with my job involving a lot of work with Referee's, I have discussed this matter with many of them and the rule with regards to offside nowadays is basically that a player is only offside if he actually touches the ball.

Did you see that rediculous goal Swansea scored against, I think, Blackpool earlier in the season? IIRC correctly Leon Britton played a through ball to Lee Trundle who was offside, but because Trundle didn't actually touch the ball, the goal was given despite the fact the defender couldn't clear the ball because it was being shielded and sheperded in by Trundle!

The linesman flagged for offside, the goalkeeper had stopped playing the the referee - correctly - gave the goal. Needless to say it didn't go down well!

Back