• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The relegation appeal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve said it before on this thread and I’ll say it again. There is a valid argument against us being relegated with the NL having no relegated clubs, and our League Status is worth fighting for. We were hamstrung by an embargo at the beginning of the season and ‘we were the worst team in the league’ only really applies to that initial period. The only argument I’ve seen against the appeal is that it ‘makes us look bad’. I feel that being out of the Football League makes us look worse.

I’ve said it before on this thread and I’ll say it again. There is a valid argument against us being relegated with the NL having no relegated clubs, and our League Status is worth fighting for. We were hamstrung by an embargo at the beginning of the season and ‘we were the worst team in the league’ only really applies to that initial period. The only argument I’ve seen against the appeal is that it ‘makes us look bad’. I feel that being out of the Football League makes us look worse.

The embargo was caused by our owners actions though. No one else was at fault. We've 'self relegated' 2 years in a row because of him.

We deserve to be relegated from the EFL and league 2 cant lose its credibility just because NL has.

Ron and non league are suitable aligned.

We were relegated last season on a points per played system, when technically we could have survived and it was taken out of our hands. The embargo was due to cash flow, credit card companies holding onto season card monies, no gate receipts, delay in getting the league hand out etc. Don't get me wrong Ron is the major factor in this, but the events of the last year have been a major factor as well. Does playing the league in front of zero fans make it a credible league? Not sure, but I bet our results might have been different. If it was a normal season pre pandemic I'd hold my hands up and we deserve it, but this last year has been anything than normal. I think we have a case.

We were relegated last season on a points per played system, when technically we could have survived and it was taken out of our hands. The embargo was due to cash flow, credit card companies holding onto season card monies, no gate receipts, delay in getting the league hand out etc. Don't get me wrong Ron is the major factor in this, but the events of the last year have been a major factor as well. Does playing the league in front of zero fans make it a credible league? Not sure, but I bet our results might have been different. If it was a normal season pre pandemic I'd hold my hands up and we deserve it, but this last year has been anything than normal. I think we have a case.
Same for every team in the league..

Believe me I wish we had a get out of jail free card but this is desperation, if there is no relegation from div 2 then surely those going down from league 1 and maybe even the Championship have a right to exactly the same argument and that would make a complete nonsense of the whole season.

We were relegated fair and square and in a transfer embargo because of appalling decisions and awful structure of our football club. 19 CCJ'S don't happen by accident they are caused by extremely poor budgeting and disastrous financial management.

Last edited:
The efl expected every club to fulfill a full fixture list with no financial support, well not until january. The business plan ( if they had one) would have been to clear the debt when the season card monies were released and income from gate receipts. Obviously thus didnt happen and the embargo only lifted once the efl released money from the pl. Maybe it was the same for other clubs but they are all run differently. Rons business plan didnt include coping with a pandemic. Is that his fault? I wonder what would've happened if five or six clubs at the beginning said they were unable to complete the fixture list due financial reasons. Would the league gone ahead?

We went into the season expecting crowds to be allowed back in October. I never bought a season ticket because I knew what was really coming in October. Then the bank actually kept the money.

Any clubs who had just sacked their most expensive manger and entourage in history or had two young forwards that other clubs wanted would obviously be at a disadvantage.

Especially if they had just come of off the back of some previously expensive season due to record injuries and paying off two previous mangers that all the fans wanted gone and 3 or 4 players that literally went on strike.

If you then cut short one of those seasons and because of a pandemic and stop fans attending.

The government knowingly lied to all Football clubs, the tax man cut us no slack and the league enforced an embargo instead of pressuring the banks.

If you had a 1500m race but each person started from a different distance then it would have no credibility.

I don't care about being the NL, I am actually looking forward to it.... But for people to claim it was the same for everyone or the leagues are all credible is complete nonsense.

One last thing does anyone really think we could go endless games at home without scoring a single goal if the fans were allowed in. Even if they were match fixing they would have been forced to score a few.

Just put out from Chris Phillips:

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin has confirmed the Shrimpers have joined Grimsby Town in ending their proposal to stop relegation from the Football League.

Blues and Grimsby will both be in the National League next season.

But both clubs have now opted to end their challenge.

"Southend United supported Grimsby Town's proposal in recognition of the changes to the National League rules during the campaign conflicted with the stated objective of the FA pyramid where promotion and relegation are a fundamental principle," said Martin.

"This past 15 months due to Covid has necessitated many twists and turns within the industry in order to keep clubs, particularly those further down the pyramid alive.

"Whilst the National League changes to their rules did not favour Grimsby Town or indeed Southend, and why we supported their proposal we are equally content to support Grimsby Town withdrawal.

"I accept the club's performances were not good enough, apart from short spells, throughout the season and deserved to be relegated.

"Work has already started on making sure we do all we can to return to the EFL at the first attempt"

Good. Did nothing but bring the club further embarrassment and put us back in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons again. Got relegated on merit, so let’s get out the NL on merit too.

Just put out from Chris Phillips:

SOUTHEND United chairman Ron Martin has confirmed the Shrimpers have joined Grimsby Town in ending their proposal to stop relegation from the Football League.

Blues and Grimsby will both be in the National League next season.

But both clubs have now opted to end their challenge.

"Southend United supported Grimsby Town's proposal in recognition of the changes to the National League rules during the campaign conflicted with the stated objective of the FA pyramid where promotion and relegation are a fundamental principle," said Martin.

"This past 15 months due to Covid has necessitated many twists and turns within the industry in order to keep clubs, particularly those further down the pyramid alive.

"Whilst the National League changes to their rules did not favour Grimsby Town or indeed Southend, and why we supported their proposal we are equally content to support Grimsby Town withdrawal.

"I accept the club's performances were not good enough, apart from short spells, throughout the season and deserved to be relegated.

"Work has already started on making sure we do all we can to return to the EFL at the first attempt"

Never mind going all round the bloody houses Mr Chairman, a simple “I apologise” will suffice..

After a day of shocks, posts galore and lots of stuff in between, some 'good' news for most of us. And with that we are done here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back