• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The relegation mini-league

A win for us at home to Salford (we cannot lose 5 at home in a row against them) and Col Ewes lose, the heat will be on them. Just image we play Col Ewes away with us only a point behind them, with the game at 1-1, Ricky Homles bang in a stunner into the top corner right in injury time & he scream with an passion like all SUFC fans do against the Sheep .... I only can dream.

Reactions: Jai
Grimsby and Barrow must have been quite smug after scraping victories last night......hope that's wiped the smirk off their faces. Salford will now be aware that they have to do rather more than turn up on Saturday to hope for three points.
I just hope they just turn up against us ?

Did they play badly or did we stop them playing their normal game?
I think it was a bit of both with the added ingredient that we played really well. The trick, as far as we are concerned, is to prove that this wasn't just a freak result. Yet but for a freak goal on Saturday we would now have eight points from what, on paper, were four very difficult games.

I don't agree. Our next three games are against three of the best sides in the division, FGR, Cheltenham and Salford. If we get any points against them I will be pleased. However we then have a run of six games against sides that we can and should beat so I will be looking for 12 to 15 points out of those fixtures. By the end of March there will only be eight games left.....

I am officially pleased.?

Bizarrely it might motivate us into giving the sort of performance tomorrow night that we have been crying out for.
Going after them from the start and putting them on the back foot.
Fannying around playing for a 0-0 and hoping to catch them on the break would be a recipe for disaster.
MM has essentially got his players now. The next few games could be crucial for both Southend's and his future. So much is down to him. I think we will soon know whether he is up to the task.
Exactly what was required tonight, and thank you MM for reading my comment above (made last night), and acting upon it!!!

From the Barrow fans forum just now:

Some result for them (I.e. us). we just need as many points as possible. At this rate all 3 of the bottom teams may get out of it, there will be teams looking over their shoulder nervously.

I hope he is right. Although I couldn't care less about Grimsby I would be sad to see Barrow relegated having fought for fifty years to get back.

From the Barrow fans forum just now:

Some result for them (I.e. us). we just need as many points as possible. At this rate all 3 of the bottom teams may get out of it, there will be teams looking over their shoulder nervously.

I hope he is right. Although I couldn't care less about Grimsby I would be sad to see Barrow relegated having fought for fifty years to get back.
Let hope it’s Col Ewes are one of them will end up in bottom 2!

Let hope it’s Col Ewes are one of them will end up in bottom 2!
Amazing result tonight, not sure many saw that coming - I certainly didn't.

Anyway, it might be controversial but I really hope both we and Col U stay up so we can enjoy a proper pair of derby matches when crowds are allowed back.

I wouldn’t want to see us, Col U or Barrow go down to be fair. Grimsby & Stevenage would be preferable but the latter seem to be pulling themselves out of trouble. Could still see Port Vale getting dragged in to it.

Barrow and Grimsby both winning is less than ideal. It’s time for MM and the team to perform now though. The manager has been backed, it’s time to start getting results. Anything less just won’t do in our situation.

The manager has finally been backed? With three months left until the end of the season!

Sorry but holding anyone responsible for relegation when they were forced to give the division a three-month head start, just because they got a few of other teams' out-of-favour players in January, is ridiculous.

Both Barrow and Grimsby have sacked their managers and have probably been given a rocket up their arse.. whereas we waltz merrily along with the manager saying week after week we will get it right, it will get better, we have goals in us to survive. Players not worried, thinking we won’t get relegated..

I’m worried

Sacking your manager is not an automatic jump start. It might perk people up for a few games but we're outside the transfer window now, and it won't necessarily be a long-term boost.

Let's not forget Barrow sacked Dunn and actually got worse under Jolley, so much so they had to sack another manager. Clubs who cycle through managers like this rarely head in an upward trajectory, as we well know.

Hurst's Grimsby side may have won last night but they've hardly been rocketing up the table since he joined.

Back