• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The relegation mini-league

I have lots of mates in Grimsby, some lovely places round it and some great places to eat and drink. Always had a good time up there.

I also have a good mate whose daughter & son in law, have a thriving Bistro type business there, ( when they are allowed to open! ).
Despite our defeat there in 2005, which cost us automatic promotion, i stayed overnight & also had an enjoyable time.
But imo the area is a dump.

I also have a good mate whose daughter & son in law, have a thriving Bistro type business there, ( when they are allowed to open! ).
Despite our defeat there in 2005, which cost us automatic promotion, i stayed overnight & also had an enjoyable time.
But imo the area is a dump.

I agree it’s not pretty, but can’t the same be said of Southend if we are honest? I think it has a lot of cool little eateries and boozers. as it’s cheap and people can afford to try something knew and aren’t bankrupted by chancing their arm.

I agree it’s not pretty, but can’t the same be said of Southend if we are honest? I think it has a lot of cool little eateries and boozers. as it’s cheap and people can afford to try something knew and aren’t bankrupted by chancing their arm.

Cleethorpes is alright, just down the road. Southend ( if you avoid high street and Adventure island) is nicer though.

I had the best haddock & chips in my life on the Sat evening, from the well known local chippie, think it was called 'Ernie Bishops'?.
I've seen more life in a tramps vest, than what Southend offers today. But 16 years ago, it was still miles ahead of Cleethorpes, which is where Grimsby's ground located.
And yes, the prices for everything, were a lot cheaper than we get ripped off for.

I had the best haddock & chips in my life on the Sat evening, from the well known local chippie, think it was called 'Ernie Bishops'?.
I've seen more life in a tramps vest, than what Southend offers today. But 16 years ago, it was still miles ahead of Cleethorpes, which is where Grimsby's ground located.
And yes, the prices for everything, were a lot cheaper than we get ripped off for.

Oh yeah, great chippie. Cured a massive hangover on a sunny day in Cleethorpes. Have some great/terrible bars and clubs too; played pub golf round there in my younger years. Love a rough place for an away trip, my dad brought me up in dodgy boozers! Oh how I miss those trips, can’t wait until they are back.

Oh yeah, great chippie. Cured a massive hangover on a sunny day in Cleethorpes. Have some great/terrible bars and clubs too; played pub golf round there in my younger years. Love a rough place for an away trip, my dad bought me up in dodgy boozers! Oh how I miss those trips, can’t wait until they are back.

Alas at my age, i fear they are a thing of the past?. But all the adventures i've had of following 'The Blues' over the country during the last 53 years, reckon i could write a book!.

Says more about you than him I'm afraid. Played a crucial role tonight.
While he was good i wouldn’t say a crucial role. The problem with Emile in the past is the inconsistency, 1 decent game then several below par games. He has now had 2 decent starts in a row which is good now he needs to keep it up.

i would take 7/10, 7/10, 6/10 over 7 or 8/20, 4/10, 5/10 etc which is what we were getting

Stevenage, Colchester, Barrow and Grimsby all have difficult away games on Saturday.
If we can get a win v Salford , all 5 teams could be close

Just to put this "mini-league" thing in perspective.
On December 8th, this was how we compared with Col U in the table:-
Colchester United Played 16 Points 27 Position 6th
Southend Uniited Played 15 Points 6 Position 24th

And now:-

Colchester United Played 29 Points 33 Position 21st
Southend United Played 30 Points 27 Position 22nd

Ok, the game in hand position has switched from us to them, but we have made up 15 points on them in our 15 games played since Dec 8th.

And how many games have we got left? Oh yeah, 16.

So it isn't just Colchester who should be casting an anxious look downwards. There is also Scunthorpe, Oldham, Port Vale, Mansfield and Stevenage who at most are only 9 points from safety.

So this mini-league of 3 has all of a sudden become one of 9.

It’s not often that the bottom three clubs in a division all win in the same round of games - 3 points for a win makes a big difference especially to those who can’t get a win for toffees like Col U.

Saturday is a big day for the bottom 5.
Us at home and the other 4 away.
Oldham are away as well (member of the mini league of 9). Mind you, how advantageous are home games over away games this season? We have picked up 14 points away and 13 at home.

Oldham are away as well (member of the mini league of 9). Mind you, how advantageous are home games over away games this season? We have picked up 14 points away and 13 at home.

Yeah you’re right , no big advantage at home without fans.
We just need to get 3 points on Saturday which will get us closer ( or further ahead ) of most of the other teams

Based on last night the biggest advantage for us seems to be playing on a decent surface which sadly these days we don't have at home. Perhaps they can get the heavy roller out in the next couple of days! Mind you we also won at Newport but Reeco and Simeon certainly enjoyed last night's carpet.

Back