• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The relegation mini-league

Recent results and performances have proved we really should be going in to every game now with the belief we should win it, against anyone, home or away. Sides at the bottom of any league will always get the occasional 'backs to the wall' sneaky 0-1 away win at a side near the top, but our last 4 games have all been against either sides at the top or on a hot run of form (Bolton) and we only lost that one due to a freak goal. We've looked as good as all of them. Its taken a while to get here, but with the current squad plus Olayinka coming back soon there's no excuse for us to not get out of trouble.

Current form league (last 6 games)

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 12.38.52.png

I also had a look at fixtures until the end of March for the bottom 7 teams.

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 13.25.40.png

so end of March my predictions are:

Mansfield 44
Port Vale 40
Stevenage 39
Col U 39
Southend 36
Barrow 32 (2 games in hand)
Grimsby 28 (1 game in hand)

Mansfield 44
Port Vale 40
Stevenage 39
Col U 39
Southend 36

That would be bang on trend for where we are to get 9 points out of those games, I'm hoping Col U don't get 3 points out of those games because we need other teams to get dragged into it

Mansfield 44
Port Vale 40
Stevenage 39
Col U 39
Southend 36
Where do you see us getting those 9 points? Just out of interest.

I've found it near on impossible to predict how any game is going to go so far.

Looking at the table this morning it's clear that yesterday was a valuable point for us given the results for other teams, grimsby now need to win both of their games in hand to overtake us and Barrow need to either win one of their games in hand or pick up a point in both. It's not likely that that is going to happen so we simply need to match or better their results until the end of the season.

We are bang on trend to get more than a point per game since the embargo was lifted whilst other teams around us are unable to match that.

I'm feeling reasonably optimistic this morning.

It's well worth looking at the Barrow fans forum this morning. They seem to have played very well at Bolton, been denied a clear penalty and then lost to an offside goal in the final seconds of additional time. Bolton have secured a fortunate win twice in successive weekends. Barrow's fans seem confident that they will survive. It's a great contrast to the Grimsby fans forum where they are all accepting that they are certainly doomed.

I think Barrow and us will survive. I believe that Grimsby will be relegated along with Colchester. Walsall and Port Vale fans must be becoming increasingly nervous too.

My predictions for March:

Cheltenham A 0/1 points
Oldham A 1 point
Tranmere H 1 point
Stevenage H 3 points
Scunthorpe A 1 point
Walsall H 3 points
Harrogate A 0/1 point

End of March Played 38 Points 37 - 39. 10 to 12 more points needed from remaining eight matches. My predictions for those:

Carlisle H 1 point
Morecambe A 0 points (obviously)
Crawley H 1 point
Exeter A 0/1 point
Colchester A 1 point
Orient H 3 points
Barrow A 0/1 point
Newport H 3 points

Ending up with Played 46 Points 46- 50.

Last edited:
If we get an result at Cheltenham, it’s will be an massive blow for our relegation rivals especially we picked 4 points from two games that they expect us to get 0 from them.

It's well worth looking at the Barrow fans forum this morning. They seem to have played very well at Bolton, been denied a clear penalty and then lost to an offside goal in the final seconds of additional time. Bolton have secured a fortunate win twice in successive weekends. Barrow's fans seem confident that they will survive. It's a great contrast to the Grimsby fans forum where they are all accepting that they are certainly doomed.

I think Barrow and us will survive. I believe that Grimsby will be relegated along with Colchester. Walsall and Port Vale fans must be becoming increasingly nervous too.

Cheltenham A 0/1 points
Tranmere H 1 point
Stevenage H 3 points
Scunthorpe A 1 point
Walsall H 3 points
Harrogate A 0/1 point

End of March Played 37 Points 36 - 38. 10 to 12 more points needed from remaining nine matches. My predictions for those:

Carlisle H 1 point
Crawley H 1 point
Exeter A 0/1 point
Colchester A 1 point
Orient H 3 points
Barrow A 0/1 point
Newport H 3 points

Ending up with Played 46 Points 45- 49.

If we picked up 3 wins in a row, it’s would be an massive boost for us.

Just need to keep picking points up. Be it win or draw. I have a feeling that he bottom three now wont be the same at the end of the season. There seems to be not much consistency in this league. Col u are in free fall and port vale look like going the same way

Cheltenham A 0/1 points
Tranmere H 1 point
Stevenage H 3 points
Scunthorpe A 1 point
Walsall H 3 points
Harrogate A 0/1 point

End of March Played 37 Points 36 - 38. 10 to 12 more points needed from remaining nine matches. My predictions for those:

Carlisle H 1 point
Crawley H 1 point
Exeter A 0/1 point
Colchester A 1 point
Orient H 3 points
Barrow A 0/1 point
Newport H 3 points

Ending up with Played 46 Points 45- 49.
So we are not playing at Oldham next Saturday?

Here's a guide -P, Pts, Pts in last 5
Port Vale 31 34 5
Col Utd 30 33 2
SUFC 31 28 8
Barrow 29 26 3
Grimsby 29 24 3
Don't know how to do a proper table!

Walters (stephen?) made quite an impact for a few games on loan I remember. Whilst I thought seadon did really well and ox was on a good run, it may be an opportunity to help us be even more solid for 4 or 5 games, if we can pick up a keeper from a lot better club higher up on loan.
Had concerns over the condition of seadon but he proved me wrong. Looked alert and agile in a pickford way. But we need 2 keepers and hope we pick up an experienced one.
Our pitch seems to have gone back to how it was the year it was late being reseeded\layed, when the roots didn't have time to bed and it turned into a rug that could be peeled up. Think we are so much better on better pitches. Did I hear Newport are now changing grounds!?.
JW was really good yesterday but the best moment for me was the pass from dieng through for aquah. Great vision.
Unsure about macca, as many have said. Ability now seems limited to blatant reducer tackles and shots into the roof of the ground for 30 mins. Yes he disrupts play but can't see the point of any use other than the last 10 of a game to see it out. And with the risks of a red, that's about the only exposure of want to the game.
I hope Hobson and white stay uninjured. Becoming invaluable.
ANG for me can be rested once oliyanka is able to play.
Akinola has become very important. Hope he's ok. Happy to keep aquah up with him because the side are settling into a routine of play at last that's causing problems for other teams.
I'm comfortable with any mid utilising dieng, ferguson,jd, taylor, as they can slip in and out without affecting our style of play.

Last edited:
I don’t think Colchester have won since early Dec, that’s one hell of a bad run. One win in 8 for Port Vale, that was against us. A win for us at Cheltenham and any less than the 3 points for them and things get interesting. The games are coming thick & fast, this is where squad rotation will really come in.

I think being away from roots hall could benefit us for next 2 games! I feel it suits are game more being the away team....... I dont fear Cheltenham away as much as Salford at home. What remember of Cheltenham their pretty direct, so could have another cambridge type game on our hands but we should feel confident in getting 3 points! Regards to the other games this month, they dont look bad set of fixtures.

We have a massive squad now and I think having access to that pool ( even without a striker) should now be enough. We are now hard to beat, we have players in midfield and defence who can score. If we do stay up MM will have earned his props and first game of next season should be MM day where all fans dress as PE teachers in his honour

Based on last night the biggest advantage for us seems to be playing on a decent surface which sadly these days we don't have at home. Perhaps they can get the heavy roller out in the next couple of days! Mind you we also won at Newport but Reeco and Simeon certainly enjoyed last night's carpet.
Playing away helps us massively!! Especially against one of these so good top teams!! Cambridge good point away and got lucky with a worldie in the second half at home! Forest green nothing special!! Newport same!! Up next cheltenham,another team who got a result due to playing our kids!! Bring on tuesday!!

Back