• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The relegation mini-league

some of the so-called fan's were branding MM "clueless" on Facebook after yesterday's point, such short memories indeed.
He was for those subs! MM should have gone for the win considering oldham were there for the taking........ draws not good enough now, considering how bad are goal difference is and Barrow have games in hand. If we want to catch team above, draws not going to be enough.

We really need to do a Fulham, catch up with Barrow plus bring Port Vale & Col Ewe into the mix.Trouble is I don't think it's going to start this week.By Tuesday Barrow will have 3 games in hand on us.

I’m starting to think Barrow are gonna get out of this. Forget Barrow, we need some wins on the board and need to treat every game now like a cup final. Tranmere will not be easy, they’re in form but we’re at Roots Hall, under the floodlights, 8,000 crowd .. ah bollocks. Well, maybe they’ll hear us if we shout loud enough. Time to get into the “mini league” above us!!

We really need to do a Fulham, catch up with Barrow plus bring Port Vale & Col Ewe into the mix.Trouble is I don't think it's going to start this week.By Tuesday Barrow will have 3 games in hand on us.

Having games in hand is not always as positive thing as you think.

The down side is that they have virtually no respite from 2 games a week until the end of Season. There are just 2 midweeks when Barrow don't have a game. They will be completely knackered come the end of April, touch wood, with loads of injuries.

If I were Barrow fan I’d be happier that they have to play Grimsby, Port Vale and Southend at home and Col U away - would be eyeing 12 points.

Injuries are playing a major part this season with 2 games a week week in week out players are getting many more niggles which means missing three games instead of one if they take two weeks to clear up.

Port Vale, and Oldham have decimated squads with many first choices unavailable - and we know what happens in that situation. Don’t know whats happened at Carlisle.

Molesley just needs to realise that a win is worth 3 draws and a defeat is only 1 point lost unless it’s against the side only just above you.

Lets not forget our atrocious goal difference (only Grimsby have worse) means being level on points with anyone above us is unlikely to help.

One more post from the Barrow forum provides another insider's view on our achievement recently and provides hope for the future forgot Barrow and Southend:

"Suggested previously that the main objective currently was to keep pace with Southend/Grimsby and so far we are are doing this. The closer we get to the seasons end in parity I believe the more favourable the fixtures potentially become. Grimsby fans seem to think the world as they know it has ended after our win yesterday but the reality is if they won both of their games in hand they'd overtake Southend. Southend dont look much like losing at the moment but they started from a very low place. All that form has given them so far is the right to compete to remain. They'll have to keep it up.

I truly believe that the effects of this crowdless, financially strapped season will continue to take its toll on several clubs who's primary motivation has been to negotiate the season without any drama. These clubs mainly sit above us but are in the bottom half of the Division. They may have been lulled into a view based on decent early season form that they were safe but thanks largely it has to be said to Southend they are now having to re-evaluate the finishing point. Their form is deteriorating. And they are now largely stuck with the squads that they have. "

Molesley just needs to realise that a win is worth 3 draws and a defeat is only 1 point lost unless it’s against the side only just above you.

Can someone get that put in a frame and sent to roots hall please.

You can go ultra defensive when the team your playing are far superior. Not the oldhams of the league

The down side is that they have virtually no respite from 2 games a week until the end of Season. There are just 2 midweeks when Barrow don't have a game. They will be completely knackered come the end of April, touch wood, with loads of injuries.

If I were Barrow fan I’d be happier that they have to play Grimsby, Port Vale and Southend at home and Col U away - would be eyeing 12 points.

Injuries are playing a major part this season with 2 games a week week in week out players are getting many more niggles which means missing three games instead of one if they take two weeks to clear up.

Port Vale, and Oldham have decimated squads with many first choices unavailable - and we know what happens in that situation. Don’t know whats happened at Carlisle.

Agree on this and think Barrow are more likely to avoid the drop tnan we are.

I’m starting to think Barrow are gonna get out of this. Forget Barrow, we need some wins on the board and need to treat every game now like a cup final. Tranmere will not be easy, they’re in form but we’re at Roots Hall, under the floodlights, 8,000 crowd .. ah bollocks. Well, maybe they’ll hear us if we shout loud enough. Time to get into the “mini league” above us!!
Barrow will stay up due to their ability to find the net on more consistent basis compared to southend and grimsby.

Can someone get that put in a frame and sent to roots hall please.

You can go ultra defensive when the team your playing are far superior. Not the oldhams of the league
Going into that game, Oldham were the second highest scorers in the league, only two goals behind Exeter. If that doesn't meet your definition of "far superior" in an attacking sense, I don't know what will.

Going into that game, Oldham were the second highest scorers in the league, only two goals behind Exeter. If that doesn't meet your definition of "far superior" in an attacking sense, I don't know what will.

I do agree with this to an extent however if when during the match the opposition do not have the fire power you was expecting or the performance you can adjust the tactics accordingly.

To be honest before the game I would have been happy with a point and it’s another one on the board. But I did feel Oldham weren’t all that. And we could have thrown on Goodship and Holmes at the end to have a bit of a more of a go at the 3 points.

I used my eyes after 10 minutes.

and the canvey island pub teams are far superior in attack then we are. That doesn't mean we shouldn't at least maybe try putting more attack minded players on when the game is there for the taking. i'll never understand those substitutions no matter what MM says, especially with the echo interview midweek saying Ricky holmes is raring to go. If he isn't then why did we sign him.

I used my eyes after 10 minutes.

and the canvey island pub teams are far superior in attack then we are. That doesn't mean we shouldn't at least maybe try putting more attack minded players on when the game is there for the taking. i'll never understand those substitutions no matter what MM says, especially with the echo interview midweek saying Ricky holmes is raring to go. If he isn't then why did we sign him.
The only reason I can think that MM is reluctant to play Ricky Holmes is that he was more of a Ron signing. After all, MM never pounced at the chance to get Holmes in and training with us, only after he had exhausted his options in January which came to no avail.
I feel sorry for Molesley when people say ‘it’s his team now’ and make out as if we are fielding his ideal XI, he is absolutely feeding off scraps in terms of what we can attract to the club and we know why that is the case.
Personally whether we go down or stay up, I hope MM stays with us

The only reason I can think that MM is reluctant to play Ricky Holmes is that he was more of a Ron signing. After all, MM never pounced at the chance to get Holmes in and training with us, only after he had exhausted his options in January which came to no avail.
I feel sorry for Molesley when people say ‘it’s his team now’ and make out as if we are fielding his ideal XI, he is absolutely feeding off scraps in terms of what we can attract to the club and we know why that is the case.
Personally whether we go down or stay up, I hope MM stays with us
Yeah perhaps your right. Bloody ron.

You dont become a **** player overnight tho so barring legs and fitness holmes must have something to offer at the depths of l2 surely.

Spot on.

The results this evening weren't a disaster by any stretch. We need Grimsby to find some form because all 3 teams above us still have to play them. If Grimsby throw in the towel now we might as well add 3 points to Col-U, Port Vale and Barrow.

Port Vale blew one of their easiest remaining fixtures.

We won't have to play Tranmere again. Grimsby and Barrow still have to play them and Col-U have still got to face them twice!

We don't need to be a match for Tranmere, just the whole bunch of mid-table end-of-season non-entities that make up the majority of our remaining fixtures.

Last edited:
The results this evening weren't a disaster by any stretch. We need Grimsby to find some form because all 3 teams above us still have to play them. If Grimsby throw in the towel now we might as well add 3 points to Col-U, Port Vale and Barrow.

Port Vale blew one of their easiest remaining fixtures.

We won't have to play Tranmere again. Grimsby and Barrow still have them to play them and Col-U have still got to face them twice!

We don't need to be a match for Tranmere, just the whole bunch of mid-table end-of-season non-entities that make up the majority of our remaining fixtures.

23 shots they had tonight and still didn't score. Even Theo came on - I guess their new manager has given him another chance.

Back