• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cox is Brown's 16th forward he's signed (Ranger, Mooney, Pigott, Weston, Loza, Hunt, Barnett, Barnard, Brown, Layne, Cassidy, Coulthirst, Cowan, Reid, Woodrow - have I missed anyone?) and whilst it's too early for a verdict on Cox and Ranger he's 0 and 14 in the hit stakes and still looking to replace the forward he inherited who got the team promoted.

That is a remarkable failure record. It does also back up my view that no striker will succeed here because of the negative way we set up and play.

All this is a factor but what rigsby will ignore as it doesn't suit his agenda is that this rule change was known well in advance and so isn't something that we should have been caught by surprise with.

What we are reaping is the lack of advance planning and the failure of numerous previous Brown signings.

We should have been making signings in January, February and March with an eye on this season. That's getting them in early and letting them bed down so they can be productive players from the start of the season.

And to be fair Ron backed him. He let him get in on decent wages Tyrone Barnett with a view to a permanent move only for us to find out that PB wasn't as good a man manager as PB thought he was and he couldn't motivate him either where others had failed (still, at least with Nile Ranger as his replacement there are no concerns there and PB seems to have learnt his lesson). We got in Franck Moussa which gave us an exclusive negotiating period which we failed to take advantage of. We got in Piotr Malarczyk on loan, but he appeared to be crap and not the answer to our central defensive issues that arose as a result of Brown falling out with two centre-halves in Prosser and Bolger, that latter a Brown signing that itself ultimately has to also go down as another failed signing.

Instead we gave yet more pitch time to loanees that we've got no chance of signing. Sam McQueen played 18 times when we had a chance in the second half of last season to blood Jack Bridge, to find out what we had and bed him in the side so he was ready to start this season but instead gave him just 76 minutes total from one start and one sub appearance whilst playing loanees like Sam McQueen instead. Bridge's now getting the minutes for us as sub he should have got towards the end of last season before starting the final matches. We played Glen Kamara - maybe that was with a view to a permanent but if so it was an unsuccessful loan spell. Ditto for Jamar Loza. I'm not sure what happened with Glenn Rea, but at any rate he's not here. Then there's Joe Pigott who needed his confidence building up by a manager but didn't get that.

Our problems now are the result of unsuccessful signings for Barnett and Moussa and Bolger and Malarczyk and Kamara and McQueen and Loza and Rea and Mooney and Weston and before them the likes of Clifford, Barnard (although that was probably Ron's fault) and Reid and Coulthirst and Ibenfledt and O'Toole and Layne and Brown and the list goes on. That's the real reason we're struggling: poor signings, often just trying to apply the band-aid temporary solution of a loanee rather than addressing the underlying issue with a permanent fix.

We need to be recruiting and developing young talent. Our biggest -pun not intended - need is at centre-half. Off the top of my head Brown has during his reign signed something like 7 central defenders on loan! How come that problem hasn't been permanently fixed yet? Do people really believe that a permanent solution is just around the corner 8th time lucky?

Cox is Brown's 16th forward he's signed (Ranger, Mooney, Pigott, Weston, Loza, Hunt, Barnett, Barnard, Brown, Layne, Cassidy, Coulthirst, Cowan, Reid, Woodrow - have I missed anyone?) and whilst it's too early for a verdict on Cox and Ranger he's 0 and 14 in the hit stakes and still looking to replace the forward he inherited who got the team promoted.

Not every signing is going to be a success but Brown's hit rate has been woefully low leaving us struggling to fill gaps as he's now trying for somewhere between the third and seventeeth time - depending on the position - to fill a role. Of all Brown's signings only Coker, Thompson, Atkinson and White have I think got contract extensions and the latter two are out of the side and merely squad players (something that Thompson is likely to be once we sign the latest central defender). That's not nearly a good enough success rate and this, above all, is the true cause of our current difficulties.

I'm honoured that Yorkshire would dedicate such a post to me personally. Good effort but here are a few learning points to help you in future

a) We can't sign people in February or March
b) Barnett was on loan not decent wages
c) Moussa wanted more money than we were offering
d) Bolger wasn't a failure. L2 run in 7 clean sheets good performances v Stevenage and outstanding v Wycombe at Wembley
e) Bridge was on a very successful loan at Chelmsford, that's why McQueen was playing.
g) Every club has loan players they don't sign. The parent club don't want to sell or in many cases not good enough.
h) You say our biggest problem is not developing young talent.....Two words Bentley and Payne
I) The problem with signing those 20 goal strikers is simple...Charlton are paying Novak (14 goals) £100,000 More than us a year.
j) Brown does not deal with the contract extensions
k) If we are failing, can you list the clubs who finished higher than us last season but have a lower income.

Apart from those small points good post :thumbsup:

Im fairness to Yorkshire, PB has now been here for 3 1/2 years . In that time You would have hoped that we would
have signed more players that we are now raving about- be they loanees or (in a perfect world) actual signings. I don't feel such an affinity to Browns side as I did with Sturrock and Tilson , I wish I did ( I want to enjoy watching as much as possible) but I don't and I can't quite put my finger on why. Hopefuly this season will change

I appreciate that it may all be a tad more complex this year given the transfer changes. However I still get a sense that as a club collectively we are not that great at delivering the majority of our targets on the recruitment front , or clearly on time, despite best efforts. especially in comparison with other clubs.
The A team may not be on their best game, Phil , Bob, Ron and the other chap ( or Phil is an exceptionally unfortunate chap this time round.) Neither am I saying they havent worked hard at it, just unsuccessfully, but not for some of the reasons or possibly excuses given. Im not convinced by the " poor us" media game either, anymore than I am convinced by the argument that Premier and Championship clubs are reluctant to loan out this year.
Over 80 transfers have been conducted this month alone. Poorer clubs in league 2 have picked up 21 players from the Championship and Premier league alone in August. How Come? In league One something like 37 have been signed up, 23 from the Premiership and 14 from the Championship. I make that about 58 signings, hardly a barren table is it? or massively complex then. Some clubs have picked up more than 3 from the higher leagues on loan alone, seemingly without prolonged hair tearing out and gnashing of teeth, , but of course its always extra difficult for us for some reason? and no it isn't all because of the money as is very clear. Something not quite right in the state of Denmark. I havent even bothered to look at July , June and Mays transfers from the top table to the lower leagues. It probably rises above 160 , and gets close to 4 a club on average! But no it really is too difficult for us and as Phil says this year is the worst ever!
I wonder how the other possible 160 got signed up, just wondering...

Back