• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
After making the near 60 mile round trip, down the wet and windy, extremely hazardous A127, I thought I might as well post my thoughts on the game.

I thought it came across quite strongly which of the two teams had half a team of first teamers out there, although unfortunately for us it was the same old story as the first team as we didn't see out the game.

We passed it around nicely, with Sawyer and O'Keefe making Guttridge look extremely average for most of it. More on Sawyer later. Guttridge did very nearly get himself on the scoresheet early on though, with a free header from eight yards which Joyce kept out brilliantly. We responded with chances of our own though and took the lead through a well crafted move which ended with Dougie showing his vision and quality, laying the ball through for the on rushing Sankofa to finish well past former Colchester blunder box keeper, Simon Brown.

Within seconds of the start of the second half, Justin Clayton slipped and got caught in possession allowing a Northampton striker a free run on goal. Somehow, and I really don't know where he suddenly appeared from, Sankofa got back and made a fine saving tackle out of nowhere. Not to be denied though, Northampton were level shortly after as they cut through our young defence and their non league trialist striker, Courtney Herbert slotted the ball through the legs of Joyce after being allowed time and space in the penalty area. We recovered though and it wasn't long before the Freedman and Sawyer show was back up and running, with once again a nice passing move ending with a Sawyer burst to the bye line and a great pull back to Dougie who finished expertly with his right foot from eight or nine yards. We had chance after chance to wrap the game up after that with Julian Okai coming close on a couple of occasions, a shocking miss from Scannell after he was set up by a cracking piece of skill from Walker along with misses from Walker himself, Sawyer and Freedman. Then what do you know, from our own attack, a cross from Freedman was punched out by Brown to O'Keefe, who was robbed in the centre of midfield and Northampton broke with a vengeance. Out of nowhere really, their young wide player cut in from the left and unleashed a fantastic curling right foot effort, which Joyce scrambled over to his left to try and save, but couldn't. Incredibly, straight from the kick off, Northampton should've won it with Sawyer gifting Northampton possession, ending with an attempt from just inside our box which was straight at Joyce.

I won't give any individual ratings but thoughts on each player:

Joyce: Made one fantastic stop and several other decent ones. His kicking is still atrocious and he flapped horribly at the only cross that tested him.

Sankofa: Scored a rare goal, made one stunning saving tackle and generally did alright throughout.

Clayton: Looked alright to be fair, if a little raw. In the first half he was particularly impressive. He's a big unit and won pretty much everything in the air and seemed to be a leader, as he barked instructions and encouragement for the full 90, even dishing out orders to Freedman.

Reynolds: I've seen him play better. He's not the quickest and he was up against some quick, strong players. Did alright though and I think there's something to be worked with there.

Nesbitt: First time I've seen him play and he looks to have grown since he was unveiled with the other scholars on the pitch. Stuck to his task well and had some neat and tidy moments.

Scannell: Was neat and tidy but nothing more until he seemed to wake up after about 70 minutes. After that he went on a couple of one man bursts and showed what he's got in his locker, dribbling past several players and getting into the box. Missed a guilt edged chance though.

Sawyer: A class above. Apart from a couple of slack moments when his concentration seemed to dip, especially in the last seconds, he did everything he possibly could to remind the management why he should be playing. His ability on the ball was second to none, his passing range was fantastic, he made two or three full blooded and well timed tackles and he drove forward superbly. I really do fail to see how the watching Brush couldn't have been impressed. He showed a quality that we seem to be lacking in the first team currently. Very impressive.

O'Keefe: Played well. Neat and tidy in possession as he normally is and I'd have no problem with him starting in the first team.

Walker: The usual old Walker, so very frustrating. He played the first half on the left and generally ran around in circles without really getting anywhere. In the second half he was moved up top and he showed glimpses of quality, including a couple of very nice flicks. He linked up play well at times, although at others he still struggled to know when to release it.

Freedman: His legs do appear to have gone somewhat, although his brain and his quality do not. He linked up play extremely well and was at the heart of most things. Finished for his goal nicely and tried to lead the team throughout.

Crawford: Struggled badly I thought. It didn't help that most of his service was launched over his head as he doesn't appear to have much pace about him. Taken off at half time.

Sub:

Okai: First time I've seen the promising youngster and he impressed me. Came on at half time and got at and past the full back on more than one occasion. Looked to have very quick feet and with a couple of years in the reserves, perhaps he can build a future with us.

Just to add that Tilly didn't turn up until the last 15-20 minutes, with an Asian guy in tow. He didn't look like Rajcomar though. Perhaps the agent? Ron roared out the car park just as I arrived at 1:50, so clearly he didn't want to stick around for the feast of football about to be on offer!

Just to add that Tilly didn't turn up until the last 15-20 minutes, with an Asian guy in tow. He didn't look like Rajcomar though. Perhaps the agent? Ron roared out the car park just as I arrived at 1:50, so clearly he didn't want to stick around for the feast of football about to be on offer!

My source close to the club confirms that Ron had a hair appointment at 2pm at Staffords

My source close to the club confirms that Ron had a hair appointment at 2pm at Staffords

This could be front page news tomorrow as I was led to believe Ron was a staunch Toni and Guy man. But hey wheres the loyalty in football these days?

This could be front page news tomorrow as I was led to believe Ron was a staunch Toni and Guy man. But hey wheres the loyalty in football these days?

He was, but one time he was waiting there for Hans the colourist and noticed that they only had The Echo to read, enough was enough for Ron

...Incredibly, straight from the kick off, Northampton should've won it with Sawyer gifting Northampton possession, ending with an attempt from just inside our box...

Sawyer: A class above. Apart from a couple of slack moments when his concentration seemed to dip, especially in the last seconds, he did everything he possibly could to remind the management why he should be playing.

For me, that sums up exactly the dilemma faced by Tilson and Brush each week. While Sawyer might well have made a difference against Leeds on Friday, it's things like the above that might just as well have seen the match swing the other way - as it has before.

Sawyer is an exciting player but I can also understand why T&B might not want to risk him in certain games. Having said that, if we're not going to play him, there's not much point in him being here.

Who'd be a manager?
(Apart from Wiggles and Tony the Kray obviously...)

Great report though Andy. Cheers!

For me, that sums up exactly the dilemma faced by Tilson and Brush each week. While Sawyer might well have made a difference against Leeds on Friday, it's things like the above that might just as well have seen the match swing the other way - as it has before.

Sawyer is an exciting player but I can also understand why T&B might not want to risk him in certain games. Having said that, if we're not going to play him, there's not much point in him being here.

Who'd be a manager?
(Apart from Wiggles and Tony the Kray obviously...)

Great report though Andy. Cheers!

I agree regarding Sawyer,Todays game he commited the cardinal sin in football which is never ever try to beat your man on the edge of your box,LS did this twice including a crazy drag back on his own 18 yard line.LS is talented but seems to want to play the killer ball all the time when the easy option is better suited at times.Still was my POM by a country mile...Lee play it simple now and again.

Freedman was cack 1st half apart from one sublime ball to Sanks,Second period Dougie dropped off from the defenders enabling him to have more time and in fairness looked a different player..When allowed time,The town defence were not exactly getting stuck in.

Good game.

Me and a mate went to the reserve match, my first for about 20 years, not bad, free entry, free parking, Two small hot chocolate's and One mars bar = £3.80 (ouch).

As said, Sawyer different class, Scannell was dangerous when he finally woke up.

I can't believe what has happened to James Walker.
Something is not right with him.
When he played his first game at Roots Hall, he was brilliant. Dangerous, powerful, speedy ,skillful and ran his nuts off and got a standing ovation when he went off.
Now he's just a shadow of that player. Against some poor defenders he looked like he wouldn't score in 900 minutes let alone 90. Short of confidence and not using any of that electric pace that we know is there, he was so easily dealt with. He needs a goal so badly but he has to earn it, as everthing seems to be about 60% with him at the moment and he needs to get back to the same mind frame as when he first played for us. Don't just give up James, you still can be a great striker.

Our team is littered with people who misplace passes (McCormack, Christophe) and those who have lapses in concentration (Grant, M'voto, Francis) so this can't be used as a reason not pick him.

Our lack of balance in midfield and refusal to play Sawyer is becoming increasingly frustrating.

Our team is littered with people who misplace passes (McCormack, Christophe) and those who have lapses in concentration (Grant, M'voto, Francis) so this can't be used as a reason not pick him.

Our lack of balance in midfield and refusal to play Sawyer is becoming increasingly frustrating.

plus our lack of goals coming from anyone but Barney, we either need to improve our creativity and/or our goals from midfield... Sawyer will do both

Back