• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
A new season dawns with our fifth consecutive year in this dreadful division which requires us to go to places like Accrington, as we embark on three away matches in 22 days with a combined distance of over 1,700 miles.

There is an element of Groundhog Day about this match as for the third year in a row this fixture will be refereed by the same referee. The man in charge once again is experienced referee, Andy Haines from Tyne and Wear.

The last two both finished 1-1. Odds on a third similar score?

Fortunately the last two Accrington aways with this referee contained little in the way of controversy. Two years ago he sent off Cresswell (not unreasonably) and showed one yellow to the home team and last year it was just the one yellow again to Accrington.

This is his eighth season as a League referee, although we had seen little of him for nearly four years before the first of his Accrington trilogy - just the Bury away Cup match earlier that same season.

Just as well, some might say bearing in mind he awarded five penalties against us in just four matches, the penultimate of which was laughable.

In that drawn Cup match he cautioned Phillips and a couple of theirs.

Previous to that we actually ran out 2-1 winners at Peterborough in 2008/9 and notwithstanding the penalty decision his performance was poor, especially in the first half. Just one caution for us - goal scorer JFC.

In the same season he did the defeat at Carlisle. Two cautions for us (3 for them) - JFC and Robson-Kanu.

The year before that he took charge of our away win (3-1) at Crewe with again a couple of cautions - Mulgrew and Francis.

So despite the penalties we haven't got a bad record with him.

Last season he finished with an average 91 yellows and a high 11 reds from 33 matches.

His two assistants will be newly promoted Marc Edwards from Sunderland and Barry Gordon from County Durham. Joe Hull from Stockport will be carrying out 4th Official duties.

Sneak preview: Gavin Ward for the Walsall game.

Thanks Mick, you know the season is getting closer when ref watch reappears!

Good to have Refwatch back again, one of my favourite threads.

Any news of a promotion for Amy Fearn or Sian Massey?.

Since her wedding, she is now Sian Massey-Ellis. Is that a promotion ?

The last Accers game was a little of nothing and the ref was as forgettable as the game; that is good for a ref's performance but lame on the teams.
better from the team and same from ref and we will be happy Shrimpers.

A good read. Now that Howard Webb has just retired and is the new Technical director of (PGMOL) Professional Game Match Officials Limited, I'm sure that this will only get more interesting. What is the standard of match officials in the division? I think the ones at the top are easily intimidated and their decisions seem to be swayed by this. The ones that aren't appear to be power hungry and have a massive ego. How does this differ in the lower reaches of the professional game?

A good read. Now that Howard Webb has just retired and is the new Technical director of (PGMOL) Professional Game Match Officials Limited, I'm sure that this will only get more interesting. What is the standard of match officials in the division? I think the ones at the top are easily intimidated and their decisions seem to be swayed by this. The ones that aren't appear to be power hungry and have a massive ego. How does this differ in the lower reaches of the professional game?

Not only is he the new Technical Director, he is the first one - it is a new role created especially for him. A bit worrying for the present and poorly performing General Manager, Mike Riley, to have someone so much more competent than him just below him in the hierarchy.

The standard of match officials in our Division is rather variable but there is little in the way of celebrities and egos. Just remember they are generally not as good as the "ones at the top"; hard as it may be to believe it, but they got promoted by being better than the rest.

A good read. Now that Howard Webb has just retired ..............

His first ever League match was, of course, our 2-0 home win over Brighton fourteen years ago next Tuesday.

Carruthers and Lee scored as our defence held out against the threat of Bobby Zamora. No cards.

As opposed to a promotion, judging by this season's appointments, Amy Fearn appears to have been demoted.

As opposed to a promotion, judging by this season's appointments, Amy Fearn appears to have been demoted.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............................................:sad:

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.............................................:sad:

Can confirm that she has indeed been demoted from level 2A to 2B and therefore will be refereeing the likes of Concord and Chelmsford rather than top Conference games. Not surprised; I was never that impressed.

She does remain the only woman to have refereed a Football League match as she replaced the injured Tony Bates for about 20 mins in the Coventry Forest match in 2010.

She is also the first woman to referee a match in the FA Cup proper (ie Round One and beyond) albeit a tie between two non-league teams.

Can confirm that she has indeed been demoted from level 2A to 2B and therefore will be refereeing the likes of Concord and Chelmsford rather than top Conference games. Not surprised; I was never that impressed.

She does remain the only woman to have refereed a Football League match as she replaced the injured Tony Bates for about 20 mins in the Coventry Forest match in 2010.

She is also the first woman to referee a match in the FA Cup proper (ie Round One and beyond) albeit a tie between two non-league teams.
Thanks for that Mick. Tell me what level of referee equates to what level of the football pyramid?.

Back