• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
Greetings to all my fans, friends and associates on ShrimperZone, old and new - and those yet to be discovered.

I thought that it might help your ease of reference to know what great things I'm up to if I plonked the relevant information here on this new 'Me, Myself and I' thread.

It's my great pleasure to inform you that I've got a new show on the radio. It's called 'Saturday Night Noxious Society' and it's on Penwith Radio > http://penwithradio.co.uk/shows/noxious/ < on Saturday nights just after 6 going on (and on and on) until just before 8. It's quite good timing as I can go straight from the studio after the show to the plethora of bars nearby.

And on this week's show we've got a featured album as it's Andy Warhol's birthday, ie. Lou Reed and John Cale's 'Songs For 'Drella', their farewell tribute to their erstwhile collaborator from the early Velvets days at The Factory.

We've also got a fair sprinkling of eclectic music from yesteryear and some fairly recent offerings from a couple of West Cornwall's innovative bands. We hope that you can join us on 'Saturday Night Noxious Society' - you may even have your fifteen seconds of fame should you text in while the show's on, broadcasting protocols permitting.

I'll be letting the listeners know about any good Southend results too just so they keep up with the important events going on beyond The Tamar.

Thanks for your support, especially to Berrichonne Tone, for giving me this great idea.

Good luck in your new venture Rob and keep spreading the word of the greatest football team in the world:thumbsup:

Good luck in your new venture Rob and keep spreading the word of the greatest football team in the world:thumbsup:
Cheers Dave - bloke on before me does a Sports show and I know I'll get stick if we have an unfavourable result. He's from Essex too but luckily he's not Col Ewe. Thinking of you lot at the Hall this afternoon. Go get 'em!

Looking forward to all the great posts coming our way,keep it retro spooner.
All under one roof, Tony! I wouldn't have been able to get this terrific idea without your post on the 'What Are Listening To Now?' thread last week, And I make that 10/10 to you! :thumbsup:

Wilko Kursaal.jpg
I had an interesting exchange with some young folk this afternoon. I was sitting in a bar (strangely) just off PZ prom and I saw them looking over at me, with them laughing, then chatting and looking over at me again, smiling. I winked back at them just to show them I knew. They asked me what the T-shirt was all about. It's this pic of Wilko with his lyrics "A thousand highways" (above the pic) and "you don't live twice" (just underneath it). They're lyrics from his great song 'Paradise' which I've loved for many a year. When I told them, they asked who he is. I explained. They didn't know who he is. It was when I told them that he'd beaten cancer that they seemed to get it. I said that I got it done a few years ago in tribute to him and they suggested that I knew that he'd survive. I said "No. It's one life, make the most of it." They seemed to understand but you can never be sure.

View attachment 4191
I had an interesting exchange with some young folk this afternoon. I was sitting in a bar (strangely) just off PZ prom and I saw them looking over at me, with them laughing, then chatting and looking over at me again, smiling. I winked back at them just to show them I knew. They asked me what the T-shirt was all about. It's this pic of Wilko with his lyrics "A thousand highways" (above the pic) and "you don't live twice" (just underneath it). They're lyrics from his great song 'Paradise' which I've loved for many a year. When I told them, they asked who he is. I explained. They didn't know who he is. It was when I told them that he'd beaten cancer that they seemed to get it. I said that I got it done a few years ago in tribute to him and they suggested that I knew that he'd survive. I said "No. It's one life, make the most of it." They seemed to understand but you can never be sure.

Make sure you're in for the post next week.

On August 6, 1928, Andy Warhol was born. This week&#8217;s &#8216;Saturday Night Noxious Society&#8217;, with special guest presenter (the legendary) Ralph Randell, was originally broadcast live on Penwith Radio and featured Lou Reed and John Cale&#8217;s tribute album to Andy Warhol, &#8216;Songs For Drella&#8217;, which was released in 1990.

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-06816-andy-its-me/

We also remembered Willy De Ville, who died on this day in 2009, with a couple of Mink De Ville tracks and we celebrated anniversaries in the careers of Rod Stewart and The Small Faces with two of their great records from yesteryear.

This week&#8217;s featured bands from the West Cornwall music scene were Night Motor and Small Town Doggers - quite a contrast &#8211; with fine tracks from their most recent recorded output.

Also on the show: Sparks, The Foundations, David Bowie, Ronnie Lane & Slim Chance, The Mighty Wah!, Dr. Feelgood, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions and a truly rare thing indeed, ie. Rob Noxious honouring a listener's request - for a Buzzcocks track from way back when.

On August 13, 1971, John Lennon flew from Heathrow to New York City and never came back to the UK.

On the 45[SUP]th[/SUP] anniversary of John&#8217;s departure to NYC, we played some music from the times that John and Yoko Ono lived there as well as tracks that have a strong association with New York >
https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spoone...us-society-13816-some-times-in-new-york-city/

Tracklist

T. Rex - New York City
John Lennon - Nobody Told Me
Ian Hunter &#8211; Old Records Never Die
Yoko Ono &#8211; Walking On Thin Ice (For John)
The Clash &#8211; Washington Bullets
The Who &#8211; Won&#8217;t Get Fooled Again
Alice Cooper &#8211; Big Apple Dreamin&#8217;
The Ronettes &#8211; Be My Baby
Lou Reed &#8211; Doin&#8217; The Things We Want To
Hawkwind &#8211; Silver Machine
Simon & Garfunkel &#8211; The Only Living Boy In New York
David Bowie &#8211; Fame
Slade &#8211; In For A Penny
Wally & The Vacuums &#8211; Hey Hey Hey
New York Dolls &#8211; Jet Boy
Ramones &#8211; Blitzkrieg Bop
Kirsty MacColl &#8211; Walking Down Madison
Nilsson &#8211; Everybody&#8217;s Talkin&#8217;
Slim Semora &#8211; Rain Fallin&#8217; On My Blues
Phil Burdett &#8211; Small Talk At Sullivan&#8217;s Diner
John Lennon &#8211; Stand By Me

Immediate Pleasures.jpg

Last night's show, 'Immediate Pleasures', celebrating the Immediate label fifty-one years to the day that its first record, &#8216;Hang On Sloopy&#8217; by The McCoys, was released.

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-20816-immediate-pleasures/

I was delighted to be joined by the fab and groovy Groove-Meister, Ralph Randell, who appears by kind permission of his great show, &#8216;The Deep&#8217;.

We also celebrated the birthdays of Robert Plant, Pete Kleinow, Isaac Hayes, Ralf Hutter and Phil Lynott on this day, along with that of Joe Strummer ahead of his birthday today.

Our two featured Cornish-based artists were the fine singer-songwriters Louella Jade Eke and Ben Thorpe who are both playing in the glorious region of Penwith later this week.

And please check out the new 'dodgy dedication' slot - this week's lucky recipient was a Mr Simon Mansell of Penzance, for reasons that only he can admit to.

We thoroughly enjoyed presenting &#8216;Immediate Pleasures&#8217; and we hope that you enjoy it too.

Tracklist

Ian Hunter &#8211; Once Bitten, Twice Shy
The McCoys &#8211; Hang On, Sloopy
Led Zeppelin &#8211; Night Flight
PP Arnold &#8211; Angel Of The Morning
The Flying Burrito Brothers &#8211; Dark End Of The Street
PP Arnold & Rod Stewart &#8211; Come Home, Baby
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions &#8211; Lost Weekend
Isaac Hayes &#8211; Theme From &#8216;Shaft&#8217;
Rod Stewart &#8211; Little Miss Understood
Manfred Mann&#8217;s Earth Band &#8211; Joybringer
Kraftwerk &#8211; Autobahn
Billy Nicholls &#8211; London Social Degree
David Bowie &#8211; Starman (recorded for the Johnnie Walker Show, 22.5.72)
The Clash &#8211; Robber Dub
Chris Farlowe &#8211; Out Of Time
British Electric Foundation (compiler) &#8211; Suspicious Minds
Small Faces &#8211; Get Yourself Together
Louella Jade Eke &#8211; Forgetting You
Ben Thorpe &#8211; The Quartet
Humble Pie &#8211; Natural Born Bugie
Thin Lizzy &#8211; A Song For While I&#8217;m Away

View attachment 4219

Last night's show, 'Immediate Pleasures', celebrating the Immediate label fifty-one years to the day that its first record, &#8216;Hang On Sloopy&#8217; by The McCoys, was released.

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-20816-immediate-pleasures/

I was delighted to be joined by the fab and groovy Groove-Meister, Ralph Randell, who appears by kind permission of his great show, &#8216;The Deep&#8217;.

We also celebrated the birthdays of Robert Plant, Pete Kleinow, Isaac Hayes, Ralf Hutter and Phil Lynott on this day, along with that of Joe Strummer ahead of his birthday today.

Our two featured Cornish-based artists were the fine singer-songwriters Louella Jade Eke and Ben Thorpe who are both playing in the glorious region of Penwith later this week.

And please check out the new 'dodgy dedication' slot - this week's lucky recipient was a Mr Simon Mansell of Penzance, for reasons that only he can admit to.

We thoroughly enjoyed presenting &#8216;Immediate Pleasures&#8217; and we hope that you enjoy it too.

Tracklist

Ian Hunter &#8211; Once Bitten, Twice Shy
The McCoys &#8211; Hang On, Sloopy
Led Zeppelin &#8211; Night Flight
PP Arnold &#8211; Angel Of The Morning
The Flying Burrito Brothers &#8211; Dark End Of The Street
PP Arnold & Rod Stewart &#8211; Come Home, Baby
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions &#8211; Lost Weekend
Isaac Hayes &#8211; Theme From &#8216;Shaft&#8217;
Rod Stewart &#8211; Little Miss Understood
Manfred Mann&#8217;s Earth Band &#8211; Joybringer
Kraftwerk &#8211; Autobahn
Billy Nicholls &#8211; London Social Degree
David Bowie &#8211; Starman (recorded for the Johnnie Walker Show, 22.5.72)
The Clash &#8211; Robber Dub
Chris Farlowe &#8211; Out Of Time
British Electric Foundation (compiler) &#8211; Suspicious Minds
Small Faces &#8211; Get Yourself Together
Louella Jade Eke &#8211; Forgetting You
Ben Thorpe &#8211; The Quartet
Humble Pie &#8211; Natural Born Bugie
Thin Lizzy &#8211; A Song For While I&#8217;m Away

Heard the second half-from Autobahn last night.Listening to the first half now.:thumbsup:

After yesterday's dismal result, I consoled myself with a bit of Pub Rock.

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-27816-were-goin-dahn-the-pub/

Hope_&_Anchor.jpg

The Great Pub Rock Revolution&#8217; is the theme of this week&#8217;s show tracing its development from its birth in Kentish Town&#8217;s &#8216;Tally Ho&#8217; public house (RIP) in May 1971 to the creation of the Stiff Records label in 1976.

And it was a Happy 60th Birthday to Glen Matlock, the original bassist and musical maestro of The Sex Pistols and co-founder of The Rich Kids.

In our Cornish-based artists&#8217; slot, we featured &#8216;Changing Scenes&#8217;, the debut album by Jenny Bishop, and the extended EP/mini-album, &#8216;Walk On Baby&#8217;, by Alan Furneaux with Dr Dobro Blues.

Tracklist:-

Mott The Hoople &#8211; Pearl &#8216;n&#8217; Roy (England)
Sham 69 &#8211; Hurry Up Harry
Dave and Ansell Collins &#8211; Double Barrel
Brinsley Schwarz &#8211; (What&#8217;s So Funny &#8216;bout) Peace, Love and Understanding
Dr Feelgood &#8211; Roxette
The Kursaal Flyers &#8211; Speedway
Eddie & The Hot Rods &#8211; Get Out Of Denver
The Marcels &#8211; Blue Moon
Kilburn & The High Roads &#8211; Billy Bentley
The Count Bishops &#8211; Train, Train
The Ramones &#8211; Judy Is A Punk
Nick Lowe &#8211; So It Goes
The 101ers &#8211; Let&#8217;sagetabitorockin&#8217;
The Sex Pistols &#8211; Seventeen
Rich Kids &#8211; Ghosts Of Princes In Towers
The Tams &#8211; Be Young, Be Foolish, Be Happy
Graham Parker & The Rumour &#8211; Silly Thing
Elvis Costello & The Attractions &#8211; Miracle Man
Ian Dury & The Blockheads &#8211; Clevor Trever
Wreckless Eric & The New Rockets &#8211; Reconnez Cherie
Alan Furneaux with Dr Dobro Blues &#8211; She Don&#8217;t Love Me No More
Jenny Bishop &#8211; Lonely Star
Phil Burdett &#8211; Song Of The Lamp

Kursaals+E&THR.jpg

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spoone...iety-03916-elusive-butterflies-in-the-studio/

This week&#8217;s &#8216;Saturday Night Noxious Society&#8217;, broadcast live with all the Nox-ups via Penwith Radio, featured several tracks from The Kursaal Flyers and Eddie & The Hot Rods in advance of their erstwhile lead guitarist and hit singer-songwriter, Graeme Douglas, coming to West Cornwall to play some gigs with The Hot Flyers.

Tracklist

1. Intro Mark Wynn
2. Elusive Butterfly Bob Lind
3. Little Does She Know The Kursaal Flyers
4. Do Anything You Wanna Do The Rods
5. All Or Nothing The Small Faces
6. Children Of The Revolution T. Rex
7. (If You Think You&#8217;re) Groovy P.P. Arnold
8. Billericay Dickie Ian Dury & The Blockheads
9. Quit This Town Eddie & The Hot Rods
10. (If You Would Only Talk To Me Like You) Talk To The Dog The Kursaal Flyers
11. Dogs The Who