• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This week’s show, broadcast live from the Coast FM Studios in downtown Penzance with my co-presenter Flash Boredom, harked back to some halcyon days on this day in music history, i.e. the opening of the famous venue CBGB’s in downtown New York in 1973 and the birthday of Ace Kefford, co-founder of The Move. With our special guests, Dr Pete Kliskey and Professor Martin E. Madron, founder members of The Riot Club, we also featured some fine tracks from 1977, a crucial year for our entire ensemble. I forgot to record the first forty minutes of the show so we did an extra forty minutes to make up for it. For best results, crank it up really high, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spoone...ciety-101216-cbgbs-77-and-an-ace-in-the-move/

CBGB.jpg

‘A Cough, A Splutter & This Studio Is Ours!’

On this week’s show, broadcast live via Coast FM, we welcomed Professor Martin E. Madron back to the studio by kind permission of The Institute of Fall Studies. The Professor, as we know him affectionately, unveiled some of his latest research material with reference to psychedelic sounds of the late sixties, vibrant Penzance punk from the late seventies and an intriguing offering from the early nineties. There were also some great nuggets in ‘The Boredom Box’, my co-presenter Flash Boredom’s treasure trove of riches, as well as a great B-side (a new slot on the show) featuring Mott The Hoople.

We also celebrated the birthdays of Paul Rodgers - with tracks from Free and Bad Company - and Penzance’s very own Liam Jordan with Liam’s recording for the compilation album, ‘Penzance Calling.’ All this plus some spontaneous coughing and spluttering following my recent experience of the deadly virus known clinically as “Man Flu.” Luckily the mic’ managed to survive the crossfire somewhat better than the computer screens that remained defiantly inactive. Fortunately the show is made up exclusively of compact disc recordings or we’d have been up the proverbial swannee without a paddle. That’s community radio and this is ‘Saturday Night Noxious Society’!

https://beta.mixcloud.com/rob-spoon...71216-a-cough-a-splutter-this-studio-is-ours/

Nox Cough.jpg

Track-list:

Booker T & The MGs – Time Is Tight
Free – My Brother Jake
Left Over Crack – Crack City Rockers
Dantalian’s Chariot – Madman Running Through The Fields
The Stranglers – 96 Tears
Bill Nelson’s Red Noise – Art/Empire/Industry
Stereolab – Eloge d’ Eros
Mott The Hoople – The Ballad Of Mott
Bad Company – Silver, Blue & Gold
Magazine – Definitive Gaze
The Pretty Things – Road Runner
Thin Lizzy – Soldier Of Fortune
Liam Jordan – If You Want A Revolution
Dusty Springfield – I Only Want To Be With You
Phil Burdett – Song Of The Lamp
An Alarm – The Bandwagon Song
Joy Division – Dead Souls
Free – Wishing Well
The Crazy World Of Arthur Brown – I Put A Spell On You
Crass – Shaved Fish
The Magic Mushrooms – It’s A Happening

That's right, Paulie - it was The Professor who brought that one in. Quite liked it though.
Stereolab 'French Disko' is a total thrill and 'Ping Pong' is 60's esque pop and are both worthy introductions.
I did a couple of weeks work experience at Go! Discs 20+ years ago (yes, that is how modern Stereolab are!) and their singer phoned up asking for a Northern Scum cap (Beautiful South promo gear - she sang on a track with them), on hearing her voice I melted a little.

Merry Christmas from the Saturday Night Noxious Society >

https://beta.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-241216-the-alternative-christmas-special/

Lou & John Xmas '77.jpg

Greetings, groovers! It was a great pleasure to bring the listeners of Coast FM this Saturday Night Noxious Society Christmas Special with Flash Boredom and Professor Martin E. Madron – it was a bit different but that’s what made it great too. Wishing you all a merry little Christmas and an enjoyable time nonetheless if you don’t believe in that kind of thing.

Track-list

T. Rex – Born To Boogie
Status Quo – Ice In The Sun
TV Smith – Xmas Bloody Xmas
Wizzard – Ball Park Incident
Television Personalities – Where’s Bill Grundy Now?
The Dead Kennedys – Kill The Poor
The Clash – City Of The Dead
Joe Strummer – Redemption Song
Rolling Stones – You Got The Silver
John Parish & Polly Jean Harvey – Is That All There Is?
Small Town Doggers – (Hang Their) Baubles From The Yew Tree
The Cape Kennedy Construction Company – Armageddon
Phil Burdett – Christmas In Casablanca
Slade – The Whole World’s Goin’ Crazee
Sonny Boy Williamson – I Don’t Care No More
Iggy & The Stooges – Search and Destroy
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions – Lost Weekend
The Fall – No Xmas For John Quays
Journey – After The Fall
The Surgeons – I Saw Stan Bowles At B&Q
Blank Panda – Nobody’s Fault But Yours
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – There Ain’t No Santa Claus On The Evening Stage
The Pretty Things – Talking About The Good Times
The Flaming Lips – A Change At Christmas (Say It Isn’t So)

So Long Sad 'Sixteen

Greetings, groovers! Delighted to bring the last live show of 2016 from Coast FM to the great listening public as me and His Omniscience, MrFlash Boredom, rattled through some of our favourite tracks that we brought you earlier this year and some that got away. Also, we paid our dues to our mostdedicated listeners with our New Year’s Eve Honours List – with dedicationsthroughout Cornwall and beyond. A novelty one was The Most Dedicated Family PetListener Of The Year. It was a tough call but we have reliable information that Archie Kliskey rarely missed a show.
We hope that you enjoyed listening to ‘Saturday NightNoxious Society’ in 2016. I know we did. See you in 2017 for more crackingcollaborations between the Dream Team & The Winning Ticket – Boredom &Noxious.

https://beta.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-311216-so-long-sad-sixteen/

Track-list

Ian Hunter – Once Bitten, Twice Shy

The Kinks – Village Green Preservation Society
Buzzcocks – Totally From The Heart
Generation X – English Dream
Alternative TV – Viva La Rock ’n’ Roll
The Rezillos – Ballroom Blitz
Dexy’s Midnight Runners – There, There My Dear
Ash – Petrol
Jesse Malin – Brooklyn
T. Rex – New York City
Little Man Tate – House Party At Boothy’s
Ramones – Suzy Is A Headbanger
Johnny Kidd & The Pirates – Dr. Feelgood
Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Tiny Steps
Millencolin – Bullion
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions – Rattlesnakes
British Sea Power – Remember Me
Amy Rigby – Keep It To Yourself
Rancid – The 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Hour
Geordie – All Because Of You
Roger Pinsent – Damn You, Randy
Arcade Fire – Intervention
Ian Hunter & The Rant Band – Dandy
Delroy Wilson - Goodbye

Attachments

• 2016.jpg
    2016.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Just stumbled on this thread - will be down for the Devon Derby on Sat Feb 11 and then staying in Camborne for a week so will aim to listen to at least part of the show that Sat eve - lots of Moyet please!

Just stumbled on this thread - will be down for the Devon Derby on Sat Feb 11 and then staying in Camborne for a week so will aim to listen to at least part of the show that Sat eve - lots of Moyet please!

Ha - I'll probably be able to indulge you with her band 'The Vicars'. My co-presenter, Flash Boredom, took her to her first Southend game.

David Bowie would have been 70 years old on January 8th. This is a 70th birthday tribute special to him with a focus on his ‘breakthrough’ years, especially his Ziggy period, when our special guest Ian ‘Astronette’ Oliver worked with him during his audacious theatre rock performances at The Rainbow in August 1972. Join ‘Astronette’ with Saturday Night Noxious Society regulars Flash Boredom and Rob Noxious in celebration of one of the most wonderfully innovative musicians of our era. This broadcast went out live via Coast FM on Saturday January 7th, 2017.

https://beta.mixcloud.com/rob-spoon...ous-society-070117-cursing-at-the-astronette/

Rainbow.jpg

Maximum Boredom

Greetings, groovers! Poor old Flash Boredom was sidelined somewhat last week so it was only right that His Omniscience had a relatively free rein on this week’s show, dispensing joyous vinyl nuggets from the post-punk era to the most deserving Noxiscenti. We also paid homage to the 40th anniversary of the release of ‘Low’ and worshipped at the vocal altar of the late Linda Jones who was born 73 years ago on this day.

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-140117-maximum-boredom/

Flash Boredom.jpg

And it wasn't long into the show that the 93rd minute winner was mentioned.

Track-list:

Tony Christie – Avenues and Alleyways
David Bowie – Sound And Vision
Nick Lowe – Marie Provost
The Vapours – Waiting For The Week-end
Linda Jones – For Your Precious Love
The Psychedelic Furs – Mr Jones
Davie Jones & The King Bees – Liza Jane
The Mekons – Where Were You?
Gram Parsons – Return Of The Grievous Angel
The Wall Of Orange – Can We Kick It ? (No We Can’t)
Fischer- Z – So Long
David Bowie – Always Crashing In The Same Car
Half Man Half Biscuit – Eno Collaboration
Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
The Monochrome Set – Alphaville
Half Man Half Biscuit – Bob Wilson – Anchorman
Tubeway Army – That’s Too Bad
Elvis Costello & The Attractions – Radio Radio
Wire – A Question Of Degree
Alice Cooper – Generation Landslide
Soundless Exit – Pallor
Rex Barker & The Ricochets – Jeremy Is Innocent
Albert Hammond – Free Electric Band
Theatre Of Hate – Legion

'Genre - is the word'

Greetings, groovers! A show in which the word ‘genre’reached new heights. A show in which His Omniscience Flash Boredom finally got to play ‘Cracked Actor’. A show in which some ‘New Country’ was featured by our special mystery guest. A show in which we combined death days and birthdays viaJackie Wilson, Dexy’s, Van Morrison and Leadbelly. A show in which there mightbe a genre or two for most tastes. We can only hope – that’s ‘Saturday NightNoxious Society’, that’s entertainment, whatever genre one might care for.
https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-210117-genre-is-the-word/

GENRE.jpg

Track-list:

Hot Butter – Popcorn
Billy Bragg – Help Save The Youth Of America
Fischer Z – Marliese
Fleet Foxes – Tiger Mountain Peasant Song
The Faces – Debris
David Bowie – Cracked Actor
Jackie Wilson – I Get The Sweetest Feeling
Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Jackie Wilson Said (for The DavidJensen Show, Radio 1, 04.7.82)
Van Morrison – Cleaning Windows
Leadbelly – The Midnight Special
Eta James – I’d Rather Go Blind
Creedence Clearwater Revival – Fortunate Son
Can – Hallelujah
Public Image Ltd. – Rise
The Arcade Fire – Sprawl TT
Ian Hunter & The Rant Band – You Can’t Live In The Past
Jim Reeves – There’s A Heartache Following Me
Alison Krauss & Union Station – Choc Taw Hayride
Keith Urban – Wasted Time
Willard Grant Conspiracy – Beyond The Shore
Thomas Rhett – Die A Happy Man
The Waco Brothers – Make It Happen
Bruce Woolley & The Camera Club – Video Killed The RadioStar
ELO – Rockaria!

Greetings, groovers! Just a few days on from the very sad news of Overend Watts’ death, we thought it would be entirely appropriate to devote this show to Overend’s great work with the wonderful Mott The Hoople from all those years ago. Join with us again in the golden age of rock and roll…
Overend.jpg
[video]https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-280117-and-overends-just-a-rock-n-roll-star/[/video]

Track-list:

Loads of tracks from Mott starting with – The Ballad Of Mott
David Bowie – Velvet Goldmine
Pink Floyd – See Emily Play
The Raincoats – Fairytale In The Supermarket
Lou Reed – Intro./Sweet Jane (live 12/73)
Kevin Ayers – Town Feeling
The Groundhogs – Cherry Red
Generation X – Ready Steady Go
The Who – I Can’t Explain
The Teamsters – Lots Of Dans
Led Zeppelin – The Rover
The Fall – Winter
Everything Everything – Suffragette Suffragette
The Alarm – Sixty Eight Guns

This week’s show featured the fantastic artist and finesinger-songwriter, Alan Furneaux, whose artwork adorns the cover pic of thisNoxcast. Alan has been seen and heard on the Penzance music scene for a fewyears now and I’m delighted that he joined us in the Coast FM studios to talkabout his music, art and influences. We also played tracks from Alan’s solo albumsand those he recorded with Dr Dobro Blues.

The eminent Fallologist, Professor Martin E. Madron, waswith us too and brought us some of his eclectic choices for which he isrightfully renowned.

Also featuring the latest album from The Brainiac 5 and a few tracks from Alice Cooper on his 69th birthday.

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spoone...ous-society-040217-introducing-alan-furneaux/

ALAN FURNEAUX COVER ART.jpg

Featuring:-
Alan Furneaux – Solo tracks (including a duet with LouellaJade Eke) and also with Dr Dobro Blues
Alice Cooper – Classic singles and an offering from the ‘School’sOut’ album
Neil Young – From Hank To Hendrix
Rose’s Pawn Shop – Dancing On The Gallows
T. Rex – Life’s A Gas
Clearlake – Jumble Sailing
Wreckless Eric – Space Age
Pokey La Farge – When Did You Leave Heaven?
John Cale – Ghost Story
Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band – Click Clack
Ian Hunter & The Rant Band – Bow Street Runners
The Brainiac 5 – Laura Riding

The Attack Of The Gremlins!

This week’s ‘Saturday Night Noxious Society’ was beset by an unprovoked attack from unidentified gremlins in the Coast FM studio A towards the end of the show broadcast live on 11[SUP]th[/SUP] February. There were no long-term casualties except for some dead air until technical rectifications were successful, i.e. fiddling about with a PFL button and hoping for the best. However, before all the fun and games, we’d been celebrating Gene Vincent’s birthday and featuring tracks from ‘The Slider’ by T. Rex as well as bringing the Noxiscenti the usual eclectic mix of sounds from here, there and yesteryear. This week’s featured local band were Small Town Doggers with their song ‘Man Of A Certain Age.’ It’s amazing how music can resonate. Listen once more to ‘Saturday Night Noxious Society’ – the show with all the gremlins left in!

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spoone...us-society-110217-the-attack-of-the-gremlins/

Gremlin.jpg

Featuring:-

Gene Vincent – various tracks
T. Rex – tracks from ‘The Slider’
Ian Dury & The Blockheads – Sweet Gene Vincent
Wild Billy Childish & The Buff Medways – Archive From1959
Bob Collum – My Little Hurricane
Slade – In Like A Shot From My Gun
The Pixies – Tenement Song
Alex Harvey - Agent Double O Soul
Rodriguez – Rich Folks Hoax
Psychedelic Furs – Dumb Waiters
X Ray Spex – Warrior In Woolworth’s
Ian Hunter & The Rant Band - Morpheus
The Earlies – One Of Us Is Dead
Depeche Mode – Suffer Well
Phil Burdett – Come Out Without A Hat (It’s Bound To Rain)
The Vicars – I’m Going Mad
Small Town Doggers – Man Of A Certain Age
The Brainiac 5 – The World Inside
Traffic – Dear Mr Fantasy

Back from our Cornish trip, just to say Rob a big thanks for playing our request - much appreciated and for anyone who hasn't caught your show I'd certainly recommend it via your catch up links to anyone who likes to listen to a great eclectic mix of music. And always nice to hear The Shrimpers getting a mention on a local radio station whilst driving down obscure Cornish lanes! Cheers, Andy

Back from our Cornish trip, just to say Rob a big thanks for playing our request - much appreciated and for anyone who hasn't caught your show I'd certainly recommend it via your catch up links to anyone who likes to listen to a great eclectic mix of music. And always nice to hear The Shrimpers getting a mention on a local radio station whilst driving down obscure Cornish lanes! Cheers, Andy

Thanks, Andy - hope you had a good trip out west. :thumbsup:

Roger Heathers.jpg

This historical broadcast of Saturday Night Noxious Society on Coast FM saw multi-instrumentalist Roger Heathers play live in the studio. Roger brought us tracks from his new album, ‘To Your Heart’s Content’, and a personal favourite, ‘Captain Liebherr.’ We’d never had anyone play live on the show before and Roger was not only brave in risking his reputation with thelimited levels of soundmanship before him but also brilliant in hisperformance.

This was also bang in the middle of the 40[SUP]th[/SUP]anniversary of the recording of the eponymous debut album of The Clash so wehad that as our featured album.

https://www.mixcloud.com/rob-spooner/saturday-night-noxious-society-180217-to-your-hearts-content/

Featuring:
Roger Heathers – Live in the Coast FM studio andtracks from ‘To Your Heart’s Content’
The Clash – Tracks from ‘The Clash’
Sparks – We Are The Clash
Procol Harum – Shine On Brightly
No FX – Olympia WA
The Who – 905
The Guess Who – These Eyes
Rodriguez – I Wonder
Wild Billy Childish & The Buff Medways – Troubled Mind
Rancid – Ruby Soho
Mott The Hoople – Marionette
Giles, Giles and Fripp – One In A Million
Wreckless Eric – Whole Wide World