• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The rock tied around KB’s feet

14A4CE52-956C-4A06-8AD3-CC82643C62E0.jpeg

Pretty grim reading but also pretty clear where KB will need to be focusing his efforts. All the talk currently about strikers, defenders and goalkeepers, but fail to solve this particular issue and it will just be a matter of time before KB will be looking for a job somewhere else. Who’d be a manager?

View attachment 8279

Pretty grim reading but also pretty clear where KB will need to be focusing his efforts. All the talk currently about strikers, defenders and goalkeepers, but fail to solve this particular issue and it will just be a matter of time before KB will be looking for a job somewhere else. Who’d be a manager?

What exactly are you trying to say?

Can't deny the stat (probably correct although we would presumably fair better on one showing conversion rates).
However the visual effect is very misleading i.e. It looks far worse than it actually is, because the x axis doesn't start at zero.
One of the oldest tricks in the book, and one widely used by mainstream media to get their bias across.
Just saying.

I think he’s saying we don’t create enough @Gt Yarmouth Shrimper - something we knew, but this is an interesting graphic that shows just how bad of a problem that was last year relative to our peers
Well exactly...

It’s one thing knowing the problem, as we all so clearly witnessed it, but it’s another thing entirely solving it - particularly within a budget and when everyone else is looking for such a key piece in their own puzzle. I’m neither doubting KB nor putting him on a pedestal, I just genuinely believe the problem will ultimately define his career with us.

Can't deny the stat (probably correct although we would presumably fair better on one showing conversion rates).
However the visual effect is very misleading i.e. It looks far worse than it actually is, because the x axis doesn't start at zero.
One of the oldest tricks in the book, and one widely used by mainstream media to get their bias across.
Just saying.

Agreed and I toyed with surfacing that in the opening post, but whichever way you do look at it, we were still the worst in the division on that particular and important stat. That doesn’t change if the graphic starts at 0 or where it does.

Good point made about our conversion rates but still a huge test of KB’s mettle from here on in.

Just saying.

Whether it starts at zero or not is irrelevant - it's the same for everyone! Said all year that our problems were in missing a creative CM, you can't get lose/get rid of the three we did in 2018/19 and replace them with Dieng and Mantom and expect goals to be made from CM.

Did we need anymore evidence that shows playing Cox upfront on his own was a terrible idea?

That chart was doing the rounds on WhatsApp last week amongst shrimpers and does at first look alarming.
Good point made by Stuart W because we are not actually miles behind the team in 23rd.

I'm sure with Humprhys and Hooper plus Goodship, their height alone will create more chances just by challenging for the thing we are top of the League for.....Long balls.

I'm confident KB will be looking to meet the 2 stats somewhere near the middle.

By the way the title of the thread gives us a good insight into Hanks views on failure......Or should I say Don Southbank.

I'm pretty sure this statistic is NOT "chances created".

I've just had a very quick looked on BBC and stats for our last 12 games - which I think we can all agreee would not be our best period of the year?

We had 89 shots, or just over 7.4 per game.

As OBL states, the problem area, BIG problem area is the lack of a balance in midfield. I hope KB does not get decieved into thinking Mantom and Dieng CAN fill those spots because that has been tried again and again and does not work.

Whether it starts at zero or not is irrelevant - it's the same for everyone! Said all year that our problems were in missing a creative CM, you can't get lose/get rid of the three we did in 2018/19 and replace them with Dieng and Mantom and expect goals to be made from CM.

I thought is was men who had no patience

Please read fully what I said! I agree the stats reflects badly on us. I am talking about the way they are shown graphically. So it is not irrelevant, It is GCSE level maths (at most).

As OBL states, the problem area, BIG problem area is the lack of a balance in midfield. I hope KB does not get decieved into thinking Mantom and Dieng CAN fill those spots because that has been tried again and again and does not work.

I believe, the missing ingredient for us, has been the lack of a ballsy manager. We have so often set up teams not to lose rather than setting them up to win. No doubt the pressure, imposed by a results driven job, contribute to this. At our level, the players are inconsistent and error prone, so the dream of not conceding goes out of the window. A reasonable keeper behind a competent defence, backing up a combative midfield that has the licence to go forward, and a clued in pair of strikers, is the balance we have missed. Not because we lack the ability but because we lack the authority.

So many players are performing within themselves, no doubt under instruction, and for many it is alien to their natural game.

Unless you have a very good keeper, steadfast defence etc... then the only way to be in the points raffle is to take the game to the opposition. At least, by imposing yourselves, you give yourselves a chance. Containment, for most teams at our level, is a recipe for failure.

We are not talking 'gung ho' football, however attractive that is, but a more natural, unfettered game, allowing expression and drive.

Please read fully what I said! I agree the stats reflects badly on us. I am talking about the way they are shown graphically. So it is not irrelevant, It is GCSE level maths (at most).

It pretty much is. I generate plenty of reports where the lowest value is roughly 60% so my graphs start around there. If people haven't got the wherewithall to look at the axis is not mine or the person who created the other graphs' fault.

Doesn't make great reading, agree the way the graph is laid out doesn't help, but - one huge factor here. This is LAST season's stats, where we pulled off a great escape! We should have gone down, yet by the miracle of the man in the mask, we didn't!

This coming season should (hopefully) not see the epic level of injury and consequent lack of options. I know the midfield needs fixing, and we need a left back and CH. I also know that the strikers cant score without any service. KB is no-one's fool, he will have a good idea what we need, and with most of the squad back for a full pre-season we have time to make the changes.

Our conversation rate was probably much better than our conversion rate?
Haha, yes. Duly noted! The joys of posting on an over-eager iphone.

By the way the title of the thread gives us a good insight into Hanks views on failure......Or should I say Don Southbank.
My initial thought was noose around his neck, and hung drawn and quartered would have been way too much.

Did we need anymore evidence that shows playing Cox upfront on his own was a terrible idea?
It's a theory that you've long presented but the graph and stats are no more evidence of that theory than proof that the injuries killed us, or our wingers couldn't put in a decent cross, or our midfield couldn't open a can of beans let alone a defence, or our central defenders were too slow in linking back into midfield to create attacks, or our fullbacks didn't push forward enough, or... or... or...

Personally, I think it's belief, shape and personnel - which is why I think it's the biggest challenge he's going to face. I'm wishing him every success and looking forward to seeing how he approaches it.

Back