• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Roots Hall pitch

greyerfox

First XI
Has anyone got an explanation for what has happened to our green? I recall it was relaid a few years ago and it seemed to develop into a decent pitch. But this season it would appear that the top surface is unstable. Yes, we have had a very wet winter. But is that the sole explanation?

Even more recently than that our pitch was one of the best. Didn’t we transfer a grounds man to Barcelona or similar a few years back?

I seem to recall the pitch was ruined by playing the Spammers in a pre-season friendly before a course of treatment had had a chance to bed in. But then it was relaid using a system that Spurs had used for their new stadium I recall. But what, if anything, of significance has been done (or not done) which has brought about the current unsatisfactory surface? Any views or recollections?

Last year they didn’t bother relaying it as we are and were completely skint ... that’s the factual answer
I guess that is the crux of the problem. Would explain it, and the Preseason state of b&l.
from memory the problems last time were due to the delay in commencing the Preseason work on our pitch due to the firm needing to do the work on the spurs (I think) pitch. Same firm I thought. or
others probably have much better memory \info.

I would like to suggest the fact that Ron sacked our head groundsman Ken a few years ago is possibly part of the reason. After Ken was ridiculously blamed when a game against Bolton, if I remember correctly, was postponed due to a frozen pitch. Ken had worked at Roots Hall for years and knew the pitch like the back of his hand. He was very very protective of the pitch, as anyone who stepped on the hallowed turf without his permission will tell you.
Ken was never replaced as such and the existing ground staff more or less had to step up to fill the enormous gap left by his departure.
The pitch has never been the same since in my opinion.

I would like to suggest the fact that Ron sacked our head groundsman Ken a few years ago is possibly part of the reason. After Ken was ridiculously blamed when a game against Bolton, if I remember correctly, was postponed due to a frozen pitch. Ken had worked at Roots Hall for years and knew the pitch like the back of his hand. He was very very protective of the pitch, as anyone who stepped on the hallowed turf without his permission will tell you.
Ken was never replaced as such and the existing ground staff more or less had to step up to fill the enormous gap left by his departure.
The pitch has never been the same since in my opinion.

I'll second that. The pitch hasn't been as good, since

I don't think it's just ours though, the majority of pitches this season have been poor and it is most likely due to financial reasons, hopefully when fans are allowed back some cash can start being spent

I don't think it's just ours though, the majority of pitches this season have been poor and it is most likely due to financial reasons, hopefully when fans are allowed back some cash can start being spent
Could well be a factor, aswell

I saw the Perterbrough pitch on goals show and that was terrible, lots of over pitches loo, very poor too.
Weather has been very wet, and of unusual patterns with longer sequences of wet periods.

Hopefully a few weeks of better temperatures will get it growing with roots strengthening.

And sacking the groundsman was a poor decision.

I saw the Perterbrough pitch on goals show and that was terrible, lots of over pitches loo, very poor too.
Weather has been very wet, and of unusual patterns with longer sequences of wet periods.

Hopefully a few weeks of better temperatures will get it growing with roots strengthening.

And sacking the groundsman was a poor decision.

The Leeds pitch looked pretty poor on MOTD last night, aswell.

Leeds pitch was recently relayed and seems to cause issues with players slipping. Brentford’s pitch is dire, in part due to London Irish.

After the Sunderland game in May 19, i ventured onto the pitch ( old habits die hard! ), & was amazed at how good it looked & felt for the end of the season.
Can only presume no work has been done on it since then?.

I thought it went back a few years to when we relaid the pitch over the close season. Rumours were that the firm contracted in over-sanded the sub base, meaning new grass that was growing had nothing to anchor to.
So we had a nice plush grass top that was effectively floating on air.
Then there was an almighty deluge of rain at the West Ham pre season friendly which made matters even worse.
Lack of investment since has just compounded matters I would think.
Its a real shame as you can see the ball bobbling about, making it difficult for any team to play with confidence.

Back