• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Roots Hall pitch

A couple of years ago we went away for a long weekend to Iken in Suffolk, We were walking along a footpath to Snape when we came across a field that was an immaculate grass area. It was so immaculate I literally stopped and stared at this field and wondered what it was for - a local couple passing saw me and informed me that it was Ipswich Town's new/spare pitch being grown before the turf would be taken up and taken to Portman Road. No idea how true that was but sounded very plausible.
I have done the same walk (did you stay at ikon barns?). I also commented on the grass as it was so good.
A lot of tuft is grown in that area, I have no idea if the Ipswich story is true or not

A month doesn't sound very long to me, if we are doing GM operations at work then it would normally take far longer than that although I'm sure they are working with next level equipment, seed, feed etc.

I remember when we did a tour of the Etihad Stadium we went pitch side to look at the playing surface. The pitch is made from numerous blends of grass seed and has synthetic fibres woven into the entire root system to help keep everything together and retain moisture.

How on earth they do that is mind boggling but just shows what money can buy.

Described somewhat euphemistically as a ‘sports playing field surface’, Desso Grassmaster is arguably the most popular and common hybrid system available in the game today. It is made up of a mixture of natural grass and artificial fibres but it passes the FA’s rules regarding such a thing because of the amount of artificial grass fibres in play on any given pitch.

The fibres are injected into the turf twenty centimetres deep and only cover about 3% of the entire surface of the pitch. As the grass grows its roots intertwine with the artificial fibres and this anchors the field of play. The company that makes it claims that this allows for a solid, even structure of turf with better drainage than natural grass on its own and improved ‘playing comfort’.

Some of the best known stadiums that use Desso Grassmaster include Chelsea’s home ground Stamford Bridge, Everton’s Goodison Park, St. James’ Park in Newcastle, Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, Anfield, Villa Park and Old Trafford in Manchester. Perhaps the most famous of all is Wembley Stadium and if it’s good enough for the FA’s flagship ground no wonder other clubs have been quick to introduce it.

I have done the same walk (did you stay at ikon barns?). I also commented on the grass as it was so good.
A lot of tuft is grown in that area, I have no idea if the Ipswich story is true or not

No we rented 'River Cottage'

Remember our boys team playing a tournament in Camber Sands nigh on ten years ago. The pitches were in the middle of nowhere yet were in glorious nick. Apparently the vast expanse there was used to grow turf for Wembley stadium (and others).

Some of the best known stadiums that use Desso Grassmaster include Chelsea’s home ground Stamford Bridge, Everton’s Goodison Park, St. James’ Park in Newcastle, Arsenal’s Emirates Stadium, Anfield, Villa Park and Old Trafford in Manchester. Perhaps the most famous of all is Wembley Stadium and if it’s good enough for the FA’s flagship ground no wonder other clubs have been quick to introduce it.

Seems a bit over the top for non league football.

Like putting hand woven wool carpets in a Yates Wine Lodge or Hungry Horse.

Back