• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Roots Hall pitch

When I went down last season to choose my seats for my season ticket, as myself and my friend did when we previously had one 10 years prior we went down to the open side at the North East corner. And go and see if we can check out our seats (we could 10 years prior, they didn’t let us this time). But we got chatting to the groundsmen. We said it was looking good and he said they’d left it too late to relay it and it wasn’t taking as well as before.

Also one of the advertising boards on the East fell down and took a chunk out of the pitch.

Last time i was on it, was after the Sunderland game 3 years ago!. Must admit i thought it was in good shape then, considering it was the last game of the season.
Mind you, i didn't venture into either penalty areas!.

A few seasons ago Rafa Benitez brought his Newcastle team here for a friendly and said he thought the playing surface was good.
Easy to have a good playing surface at the start of the season. It's what happens come Feb that's the litmus test.

You mean those lads with builders bums poking the pitch at half time haven't turned it into a luxurious playing surface?

The knowledge the guys have is incredible and work with next to nothing in terms of budget to get us the luxurious playing surface as you said .
You mean those lads with builders bums poking the pitch at half time haven't turned it into a luxurious playing surface?

The fat one always patter the pitch, like he cannot be arsed to do it properly
good choice of word in his case.
I wouldn't mind betting that the Club are doing their bit for society in employing the guy, and good for them if they are. As for his groundsman qualities, he does what is asked of him, arse out or not, so good on him as well.

Renovation? I assume it hasn’t been relaid then? Not sure what most clubs do post season to ensure the pitch is at its best for the start of the season.

By the look of it they have given it a really good close cut (possibly been scarified although that's usually done in spring on lawns)

I'd imagine it will have a layer of sand added and then seeded before watering. I remember when I switched seats for my season ticket 14 / 15 years ago they were removing the top layer of the pitch. Guess it all depends where the pitch is in its possible lifespan.

Last edited:
You're not going to upset me at all @londonblue. I wasn't talking about the 90s, but more about the 60s through to the early 80s, and back then it was a class act and up there the playing surface at Carlisle back in the day.
Exactly this. How I miss those midweek evening games where the pitch used to glisten and was pretty much in as good a condition when the game finished as when it started.

It may have been earlier, but this guy played on the pitch late 80s and early 90s. The reality seems to be that we all believed the pitch to be better than it actually was. Although, it could be that it was better before then, i.e. the 60s and 70s, but that was around 50 years and more ago. Talk about living off past glories!
Well we can’t live on present ones (until the coming season!)

How many groundstaff do we have full time at the club? I'm assuming just the one with others being part time during the season.

Tbh it's not something I've spent much time considering so I'm just trying to understand how many people are involved with looking after the playing surface for a non-league side

How many groundstaff do we have full time at the club? I'm assuming just the one with others being part time during the season.

Tbh it's not something I've spent much time considering so I'm just trying to understand how many people are involved with looking after the playing surface for a non-league side
Dunno! but if they're not getting paid, i'd be surprised if any are there come the new season

Back