• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The run in's / Likely points targets

glensufc

Youth Team
Scunthorpe

Cambridge (H)
Grimsby (A)
Bristol Rovers (H)
Shrewsbury (A)

Likely points 9-12 giving a total of 81-84.

Swansea

Bristol Rovers (A)
Shrewsbury (H)
Bury (A)

Likely points 6-9 giving a total of 80-83.

Yeovil

Kidderminster (A)
Wycombe (H)
Southend (A)
Lincoln (H)

Likely points 3-9 giving a total of 78-84

Macclesfield

Lincoln (A)
Southend (H)
Mansfield (H)
Cheltenham (A)
Rushden & Diamonds (H)

Likely points 6-12 giving a total of 75-81

Lincoln

Macclesfield (H)
Northampton (A)
Darlington (H)
Yeovil (A)

3-9 points giving a total of 71-77

Southend

Macclesfield (A)
Oxford (A)
Yeovil (H)
Grimsby (A)

3-9 points giving a total of 77-83

The question for Southend is can they get back to winning ways, it’s often hard to do so when you lose a long unbeaten run. The difficultly with Southend’s run in is there are 3 away games. The Macclesfield game is huge coming so quickly after the Orient game, win it and blues are back on track, lose it and it may spell trouble and the play-offs for the blues. It’s crunch time now and the players will have to dig deep and show more desire if they really want a top 3 spot.

In summary Swansea and Scunthorpe have the easiest run in’s on paper. Assuming that Scunthorpe beat Cambridge today (dangerous I know) then I suspect the title will be fought out between Scunthorpe and Swansea. The final automatic promotion spot will be probably be filled by Southend or Yeovil. Macclesfield are outsiders for the final spot but they would have to win at least 4 of their last 5 to stand a chance. Lincoln have a tough run in and would need to win all their games and have results go their way to claim a top 3 spot, the play offs seems the best they can hope for.

This is all speculation of course and football is a funny old game. It’s going to be a nerve-racking end to the season.

Cheers

Glen

[b said:
Quote[/b] (glensufc @ April 16 2005,11:25)]... football is a funny old game. It’s going to be a nerve wrecking end to the season.
And Southend tend to do this to us, don't they?!

1986/87 we lost two of our last four games and still scraped into third position ahead of Wolverhampton Wanderers, thanks to an away win up at Stockport County.

1989/90 again we lost two of our last four games and scraped once again into third spot at the expense of (bizarrely) Stockport County, thanks to David Crown's brace up at Peterborough United (and what a grand day that was!)

1990/91 we won just ONE of our last four games and held on to second spot (thanks to our early season phenomenal form) despite a home day defeat at the hands of Brentford on the last day of the season. We were two points ahead of ... Grimsby Town.

So, I'm pretty sure that the lads won't be keen on throwing away such good form over the last three or four months. If they do, well words need to be said BUT by the management, not by us. But, on the whole, I can see us nicking third place up at Grimsby Town on the last day of the season. It is written ...

WS

i personally cant see Southend winning any of their last 4 games unfortunately - defeat against Macc is unthinkable

[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ April 16 2005,12:01)]i personally cant see Southend winning any of their last 4 games unfortunately - defeat against Macc is unthinkable
I can't see us getting through the play offs. Automatic is the only option and that will require a win on Tuesday.

Normal pessimism has been resumed.

I have to admit before the Wrexham game thought we would finish the season unbeaten - 2 defeats later I cant see us winning another game, funny old game. I think perhaps we peaked to early whether as other sides have just had their wobbles. As you say if we do only make the play offs (which would have been great at the start of the year) it will now be a huge dissappointment that I dont think the players would be able to pick themselves up from.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ April 16 2005,12:45)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (stickyboy @ April 16 2005,12:01)]i personally cant see Southend winning any of their last 4 games unfortunately - defeat against Macc is unthinkable
I can't see us getting through the play offs. Automatic is the only option and that will require a win on Tuesday.

If you watched that woefull performance last night its hardly surprising
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Rusty Lee @ April 16 2005,13:04)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (seenyeva kryevyetka @ April 16 2005,12:45)]
[b said:

If you watched that woefull performance last night its hardly surprising  
mad.gif
We didn't actually play that badly last night, its just that we didn't take our chances and Orient took theirs.

We missed two one on ones and forced a number of good saves from their keeper.

The ref and the linos didn't help us last night at all. It was like playing against 14 men. We played quite well considering the circumstances, but Freddy should have put at least two away.

Lets hope the team doesnt give up hope as quickly as the supporters after what is one league defeat after a long unbeaten run andon the back of 4 in a row without conceding.

Its a nervy time but lets hope they have the resolve to get back on track tomorrow night.

Looking at all the remaining games I think there is a fair chance that Yeovil, Swansea and Scunthorpe will all finish with 81 points. That means we will have to win 2 and draw 1 out of our last 4 games and hope our goal difference is better than one of the other 3 teams, or win 3 out of our last 4 to make sure and probably go up as champion.

Any thoughts?

Based on the worst set of results that I think could happen, here is what the table could look like after 46 games. I just cannot see Swansea or Scunthorpe dropping any points.

1. Scunthorpe - 84
2. Swansea - 83
3. Yeovil - 79
4. Lincoln - 78 (Goal Difference)
5. Southend - 78
6. Macclesfield - 77

If we can avoid Lincoln in the first phase of the play-offs then I think we could well be meeting them in Cardiff. Heart-breaking to see the season fall apart - But should we win, in my opinion the best way to do it!

It's certainly going to be nerve-wracking end to the season!

Back