• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimpergonzo

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver⭐
Staff member
I was struck by a Staffordshire news report that said Port Vale still had to play Cheltenham, Burton and Northampton in their last 9 games and I thought it might be worth checking out the respective run-ins of the promotion/play-off rivals who are currently above us.

I don't think we'll catch the Gills as they're 15 points clear of us now, so I'll leave them out. But of the others:

Southend: WIMBLEDON, TORQUAY, PLYMOUTH, Rochdale, Bradford, FLEETWOOD, BRISTOL ROVERS, Aldershot, York, MORECAMBE:

Exeter: GILLINGHAM, BRADFORD, Rotherham, Plymouth, ROCHDALE, DAGENHAM, Wimbledon, CHELTENHAM, Chesterfield

Cheltenham: ROTHERHAM, Barnet, Port Vale, NORTHAMPTON, Plymouth, GILLINGHAM, Exeter, BRADFORD

Northampton: Morecambe, Wycombe, OXFORD, TORQUAY, Cheltenham, Bradford, YORK, Port Vale, BARNET

Rotherham: Wycombe, Cheltenham, EXETER, WIMBLEDON, Gillingham, Morecambe, FLEETWOOD, Bradford, Plymouth, ALDERSHOT

Burton: Aldershot, Dagenham, WYCOMBE, CHESTERFIELD, Accrington, Port Vale, PLYMOUTH, Bradford, GILLINGHAM

Port Vale: Bristol Rovers, York, ALDERSHOT, CHELTENHAM, Chesterfield, BURTON, Rochdale, NORTHAMPTON, Wycombe

I think looking at that, we have one of the (on paper!) easier run-ins - Cheltenham's in particular looks a nasty fixture list, playing all teams who have got something to play for.

Also, I've got a bit of a soft spot for Plymouth and they seem to have some mighty tricky games coming up - really hope they survive (at the expense of Aldershot and Accrington!)

I think Cheltenham look to have a difficult run in too. Onpaper ours looks the easiest run in of the lot, but that's on paper......

I think Cheltenham look to have a difficult run in too. Onpaper ours looks the easiest run in of the lot, but that's on paper......

Indeed - and having followed Southend for over 30 years now I know we have the capacity to mess this up or do things the hard way!

However I'd rather have our run in with 10 games left than Cheltenham's remaining 8!

At least someone at football webs thinks we might do alright

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leaguetwo/league?sort=predicted

Got to stop worrying about the teams around us and go on a little run ourselves and see where we end up.

Let's hope we can continue to gather momentum with another win tomorrow night.

I'd be amazed if that happened! It predicts our next results will be:

Wimbledon W
Torquay D
Plymouth W
Rochdale D
Bradford D
Fleetwood D
Bristol W
Aldershot W
York D
Morecambe W

20 points out of a possible 30 for us and relies on the teams above us getting only 12 out of 27/30 from them still seems optimistic to me.

I predict that we will play 10 more league games and a Wembley JPT Final...and that is the only certain prediction you can rely upon! :winking:

I don't think you can exclude Bradford ( and possibly Fleetwood ) from this little 'Promotion Party' either !

At least someone at football webs thinks we might do alright

http://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leaguetwo/league?sort=predicted

Got to stop worrying about the teams around us and go on a little run ourselves and see where we end up.

Let's hope we can continue to gather momentum with another win tomorrow night.

This - well pretty much - I'll be disappointed if we don't overtake Port Vale.

Also think Oxford may do better than predicted here - would suggest they still get included in the PO candidates.

I was struck by a Staffordshire news report that said Port Vale still had to play Cheltenham, Burton and Northampton in their last 9 games and I thought it might be worth checking out the respective run-ins of the promotion/play-off rivals who are currently above us.

I don't think we'll catch the Gills as they're 15 points clear of us now, so I'll leave them out. But of the others:

Southend: WIMBLEDON, TORQUAY, PLYMOUTH, Rochdale, Bradford, FLEETWOOD, BRISTOL ROVERS, Aldershot, York, MORECAMBE:

Exeter: GILLINGHAM, BRADFORD, Rotherham, Plymouth, ROCHDALE, DAGENHAM, Wimbledon, CHELTENHAM, Chesterfield

Cheltenham: ROTHERHAM, Barnet, Port Vale, NORTHAMPTON, Plymouth, GILLINGHAM, Exeter, BRADFORD

Northampton: Morecambe, Wycombe, OXFORD, TORQUAY, Cheltenham, Bradford, YORK, Port Vale, BARNET

Rotherham: Wycombe, Cheltenham, EXETER, WIMBLEDON, Gillingham, Morecambe, FLEETWOOD, Bradford, Plymouth, ALDERSHOT

Burton: Aldershot, Dagenham, WYCOMBE, CHESTERFIELD, Accrington, Port Vale, PLYMOUTH, Bradford, GILLINGHAM

Port Vale: Bristol Rovers, York, ALDERSHOT, CHELTENHAM, Chesterfield, BURTON, Rochdale, NORTHAMPTON, Wycombe

I think looking at that, we have one of the (on paper!) easier run-ins - Cheltenham's in particular looks a nasty fixture list, playing all teams who have got something to play for.

Also, I've got a bit of a soft spot for Plymouth and they seem to have some mighty tricky games coming up - really hope they survive (at the expense of Aldershot and Accrington!)
Did it hurt ? Spose not. Probably only paper.

If you're thinking we have an easy run-in on paper, you're right. In fact we're top of the league. By a country mile. The table gives in the final column the average position of opponents in games yet to be played. In a totally even set up your score would be 12.5. Given that all opponents are in different positions in the table Blues' score of 17.2 really is quite an achievement: with 10 games to play the highest possible score (ie, playing only the bottom 10) would be 19.5. If you were only playing top teams the minimum score would be 5.0... so yes, at 9.1 Cheltenham also have reason for statistical celebrations. Acknowledgements: statto.com, Excel, a gammy ankle (itself courtesy of a pothole in SUFC car park!), and a snowy afternoon.

Current
Opponents
Southend17.2
Bristol Rovers15.2
Oxford Utd15.0
York14.6
9Fleetwood14.4
15Dag & Red13.9
3Burton Albion13.6
18Barnet13.5
4Northampton12.7
1Gillingham12.5
6Rotherham12.5
23Accrington12.5
7Exeter12.3
2Port Vale12.2
21Wimbledon12.2
13Morecambe12.1
22Torquay11.8
12Chesterfield11.8
16Rochdale11.7
11Bradford11.1
14Wycombe11.0
20Aldershot10.6
24Plymouth9.6
5Cheltenham9.1

Blimey leroyjean - I have no idea what all this means, but I'll take your word for it that it's good news for us!

:Worthy:All hail the new Statto!

All so interesting is the fact that they say Southend will not score more than one goal in any of the matches, mmmmmmm i think they just maybe wrong on that account too.

Lets hope so, although Saturday was one of the rare times we actually have scored more than 1 in the league recently.

In all of the calculations one must surely take into account that some of our opponents are fighting for their League status, eg Dons, Plymouth and Torquay. As Jimmy Greaves once famously said, "Football is a funny old game". So let's take it one game at a time and the future will take care of itself.

The future took care of itself tonight, next season an almost completely new team, a new manager and yes dare i say it League 2 again.Only way that will change is if Southend go into receivership and are demoted by the leaugue powers that be.

Back