• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southendsleeper

Manager

Just gut wrenching

Rained on there, torrential rain during the match, worse rain in the second half, turned into a farce. Rightly the officials carried on, and with 20 mins left, I was hoping a fairly entertaining (for the wrong reasons) encounter wouldnt be abandoned.

The ball would go a couple of feet and stick to the mud, there couldnt be any fluid passing, it would just stick. Balls wouldnt go out for throw ins, goal kicks leading to much amusements as Barnsley players would leave it, then make panicked rushes to get to the ball.

The player who moved the ball again after the referee had mad him move it back. Comedy genius. Rightfully booked for it after the Southend fans pointed it out  
laugh.gif

Clarke had a good game, his lob to Freddie to set up a chance was fantastic, and got around the poor playing conditions. Got back with pace and good positioning when a corner attack down the other end broke down.

Barnsley were poor, make no mistake. We could have been 4 or so up. The goal was good (I thought Freddie scored it, we all sang the Eastwood song and Brian Wheeler announced as such, but Skysports have it credited to Gower?), it was wellied it along the ground, could have gone anywhere. Bradbury did everything right with a header, it stopping near the line due to the mud...devestating. A Barrett header saved, Freddie and McCormack playing well together to set up an opportunity.

Guttridge came on, failed to clear and with almost the last kick of the game. Barnsley equalised. The fairly small but vocal support from the fans sadly turned to booes. The North West had been singing for most of the match, and even with 5400 it had been fairly noisy at the Hall.

So wet the bluebelles couldnt even dance in it. I'll avoid all wet t-shirt competition jokes, but fairplay to them they did come out and wiggle a bit

So the last possible thing we wanted. A replay. Another game in a tough month. Its not fair

McCormack MOM for me, makes his £30,000 seem a snip. JCR possibly a close second

Was definatly Freddy's goal from the South Upper view!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Southendsleeper @ Jan. 06 2007,17:34)]The player who moved the ball again after the referee had mad him move it back. Comedy genius. Rightfully booked for it after the Southend fans pointed it out  
laugh.gif
Actually the lino "buzzed" him. No self-respecting ref would book a player on the basis of a crowd roar.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ricey @ Jan. 06 2007,18:45)]Good! couldn't see a deflection!
There was definitely a deflection as my low seat in the 2nd row of the greens by the dugout, which was right behind the shot, showed. I doubt anyone could tell who it came off though. It's gone down in the records as Gower's goal and I imagine it'll stay down in the records as Gower's goal, despite what Freddy has said as it's only little ol' us.
suspect.gif

Pretty poor crowd of just over 5,400. They should have asked people to keep their tickets if we progress and get a big club so those today could be guaranteed a ticket.

And Barnsley's away support was shocking.

Can anyone tell me where Harrold and Hooper were today?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Jan. 06 2007,20:59)]Can anyone tell me where Harrold and Hooper were today?
Hoops was in his suit sitting in the dugout before the game, before moving to the directors area for the game. Didn't look injured, just slightly fed up.

Harrold didn't seem to be in attendance though.

I thought JCR and Barrett were our best players today.

Couldn't believe we lost. First half was crap, second half was better.

Did anyone hear Tilly again moaning on BBC Essex on how hard it is to bring players in etc.  How many times have we heard this spiel?

Whats the odds another panic buy in the pipeline?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ Jan. 06 2007,22:24)]Did anyone hear Tilly again moaning on BBC Essex on how hard it is to bring players in etc.  How many times have we heard this spiel?
Have you been reading the press reports ?

We have been puting in decent bids for players but they are being turned down.

Therefore its pretty difficult to bring players in.

What would you do Tony? Come on lets have your recipe for success. Name the players you want and how much you think we could get them for.

Harrold is cup tied and my mate says hooper is aswell from the prelimary rounds for grays

[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ Jan. 06 2007,23:49)]Harrold is cup tied and my mate says hooper is aswell from the prelimary rounds for grays
Harrold and Hooper both joined us in August, long before Yeovil and even Grays got involved in the FA Cup

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kenny @ Jan. 06 2007,23:53)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (shrimper4life @ Jan. 06 2007,23:49)]Harrold is cup tied and my mate says hooper is aswell from the prelimary rounds for grays
Harrold and Hooper both joined us in August, long before Yeovil and even Grays got involved in the FA Cup
Got it wrong for harrold then! But my mate said for Hooper he played for grays in the prelimary rounds in the summer before he joined us so is cup-tied? may be wrong for this aswell

Grays came in at the 4th Qualifying round which was in late October.

Back