• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Shrimp Toothbrush

MK Shrimper

Striker
Battle of the albums special!

I've revived this thread as a salute to the albums that have made it through to the semi's! Oasis, Nirvana, The Pixies and of course, the MIGHTY Stone Roses have pushed aside the lumbering dinosaurs of The Beatles and Pink Floyd, the freak show that is Jackson, and the angry punks. We may owe them a nod for influencing us, but we are Toothbrush! Hear us roar :D

Don't Look Back In Anger

Debaser

Smells Like Teen Spirit

and... The Stone Roses

Battle of the albums special!

I've revived this thread as a salute to the albums that have made it through to the semi's! Oasis, Nirvana, The Pixies and of course, the MIGHTY Stone Roses have pushed aside the lumbering dinosaurs of The Beatles and Pink Floyd, the freak show that is Jackson, and the angry punks. We may owe them a nod for influencing us, but we are Toothbrush! Hear us roar :D

Don't Look Back In Anger

Debaser

Smells Like Teen Spirit

and... The Stone Roses

One could argue that these four bands are not at the cutting edge of modern music either

All white indie kids with guitars? I don't know if it's really representative of the wide range of popular music over the past 60 odd years.

Don't get me wrong, I love these albums, however I think it says more about the demographics of this board than anything else.

Waterfall by the Stone Roses is one of my all-time favourite tracks.

I can just picture you down the 'Brush giving it your best Ian Brown shuffle on the dancefloor Ken. Next Southend game I go to we'll have to arrange a Toothbrush night with the lads after so you can show us your moves.

All white indie kids with guitars? I don't know if it's really representative of the wide range of popular music over the past 60 odd years.

Don't get me wrong, I love these albums, however I think it says more about the demographics of this board than anything else.

Well you could of course say that The Stone Roses encompassed more than white indie boy rock with elements of soul and dance..... :whistling:

One could argue that these four bands are not at the cutting edge of modern music either

Apart from Oasis, who as good as they are, are extremely derivative of those cheeky scouse The Mop Tops, I'd argue that the other three bands WERE the cutting edge back in their day.

Apart from Oasis, who as good as they are, are extremely derivative of those cheeky scouse The Mop Tops, I'd argue that the other three bands WERE the cutting edge back in their day.

But then surely the same can be said for the Beatles and Pink Floyd??

But then surely the same can be said for the Beatles and Pink Floyd??

Oh definitely in the 1960's. But to accuse those three bands as not being "cutting edge" is just plain wrong. Nirvana had probably the biggest effect worldwide, Pixies were more a "cult" band and The Roses were an archetypal British band, something no other country could, or would ever produce.

Were these bands really cutting edge? The Pixies? Yes, I'll give you that. Nirvana? No, great though they were they followed in the footsteps of The Pixies themselves. The Stone Roses? Yes, they were - along with Primal Scream with Screamadelica and the whole Acid House scene. Oasis? Followed in the footsteps of The Roses in many ways before the Fab Four obsession kicked in, so no. So we have two of the original cutting edge bands and the two which followed in their respective wakes and gained more commercial success.

Cutting edge albums have been knocked out already of course - The Clash, Stevie Wonder, NWA and as already mentioned Primal Scream that I can remember.

I'm really not slagging the albums in the final four. Like I say I just think they represent very well the generation of 30+ lads that are well represented on here.

The generation not represented in the whole competition is the most recent. You could have either Libertines albums, The Streets, Dizzee Rascal, Glasvegas. In truth even that list is probably a bit dated. Maybe in 10 years time this generation will be better represented and the Battle Of The Albums will look a lot different.

Back