• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings The Sid Broomfield Trophy - 20th May

Thanks guys.
Will be popping in tomorrow to get my tickets.

Be interesting to see how mobile some of them are.

I’d have Flavs back over our current choices

:Smile:

Be interesting to see how mobile some of them are.

I’d have Flavs back over our current choices

:Smile:

My favourite goalkeeper of all time. That game against Man United no one was scoring past him. He was the king of highlight reel shot stopping.

My favourite goalkeeper of all time. That game against Man United no one was scoring past him. He was the king of highlight reel shot stopping.

For me, It’s a tough call between him & Roycey.

Bentley third.

For me, It’s a tough call between him & Roycey.

Bentley third.

My first proper season of remembering Southend properly were the late 90’s when Roycey had left and we had the delights of the likes of Mel Capelton! I’d love to say Roycey or Sammy but I hadn’t seen enough or any of them to say that. Flav’s I watched his whole career at Southend and have yet to be as impressed since. Bentley came close and Federici was impressive but neither near as good as Flavs. Had he been a little bit taller he would’ve been top level and no doubt an England goalkeeper.

My first proper season of remembering Southend properly were the late 90’s when Roycey had left and we had the delights of the likes of Mel Capelton! I’d love to say Roycey or Sammy but I hadn’t seen enough or any of them to say that. Flav’s I watched his whole career at Southend and have yet to be as impressed since. Bentley came close and Federici was impressive but neither near as good as Flavs. Had he been a little bit taller he would’ve been top level and no doubt an England goalkeeper.

From my recollection as a youngster, Roycey was a very similar keeper to Flavs, just a slightly better all-rounder.

He was one of those keepers (like Flavs), who even when the defence had failed, you still favoured in a one-on-one.

Unfortunately for Roycey, he played in an era which saw some of the greatest goalkeepers the English leagues had ever seen, so was never going to reach the highest heights

Anyone know where the Adam Barrett flag is? We need to have this on display for this game!

From my recollection as a youngster, Roycey was a very similar keeper to Flavs, just a slightly better all-rounder.

He was one of those keepers (like Flavs), who even when the defence had failed, you still favoured in a one-on-one.

Unfortunately for Roycey, he played in an era which saw some of the greatest goalkeepers the English leagues had ever seen, so was never going to reach the highest heights

I always felt Mervyn Cawston in the 80s was destined for bigger things, alas the game was a different approach then and transfers not so stupid
One of the classiest goal keepers who has worn the shirt in my eyes and no one has surpassed him throughout the years imho

I’m gutted I wasn’t as into Football then as I was a little later on and got to enjoy Roycey. My dad always speaks fondly of him but he also got to watch Sammy and Cawston.

I always felt Mervyn Cawston in the 80s was destined for bigger things, alas the game was a different approach then and transfers not so stupid
One of the classiest goal keepers who has worn the shirt in my eyes and no one has surpassed him throughout the years imho

Being born in ‘86, Cawston was slightly before my time, unfortunately.

I know he’s held in high regard by those who did see him. All I can say is, if he was better than Roycey & Flavs, then I feel unfortunate that I missed out on seeing someone of that quality, play for Southend

I only saw Cawston play once when I was very young (about 7 or 8 I think) in a game against Scunthorpe (which we lost, obviously) and he made one of the best double saves from close range I’ve ever seen.

Federici was of course miles better than Flavs. I loved Darryl, the pint sized felon, but come on.

Federici was of course miles better than Flavs. I loved Darryl, the pint sized felon, but come on.

****, maybe I should proof read my posts before posting.

What I meant to say was he was better but not our player so doesn’t count.

Fair enough mate, no harm no foul

Bentley on the other hand was good but I thought Flavs was better. Federici I was gutted he didn’t push on after the Liverpool performance. I thought that would propel him into being an elite level keeper. He just dropped after that and unfortunately hasn’t been the same since which is a shame because he was a hell of a talent.

Bentley on the other hand was good but I thought Flavs was better. Federici I was gutted he didn’t push on after the Liverpool performance. I thought that would propel him into being an elite level keeper. He just dropped after that and unfortunately hasn’t been the same since which is a shame because he was a hell of a talent.

Yeah, completely agree.

We've been blessed with some excellent keepers over the years, Cawston and Freeman from a similar era were two of the best. Flavs was terrific, but just a huge fans favourite because of his passion. Much as I loved him, I think the other two were both better. Bentley always seemed to have the most potential though and I still think he could go further.

Back