• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings The Sid Broomfield Trophy - 20th May

Thoroughly enjoy it and if I recall they said 'This years Sid Broomfield trophy winners...'. Here's hoping for another game next year.

Spent some time chatting with the media guys from Colchester and they would be quite keen to do this again with them hosting it this time, which seems fair - we might have to get some of the season following's players involved though!

I missed the kickoff and didn't know this took place. Regardless he was very much in my thoughts.

If it wasn't clear how much we relied on experienced players to get promoted at the time, it was last night. 3 or 4 of that Col U team are still playing. According to Fagan's Wiki page he hasn't played his 2015, but is still only 36.

Wayne Gray got a good round of applause on leaving the pitch. We have a poll for the most important goals and it's a surprise one of his wasn't mentioned...

Thoroughly enjoy it and if I recall they said 'This years Sid Broomfield trophy winners...'. Here's hoping for another game next year.

If we do, I hope Tilly gets our lads on an intensive fitness regime. They had Halford (Aberdeen), Elokobi (Aldershot), Danns (Bury) and Yeates (Eastleigh) all of whom are still playing (and White of course). Not sure any of ours are.

If we do, I hope Tilly gets our lads on an intensive fitness regime. They had Halford (Aberdeen), Elokobi (Aldershot), Danns (Bury) and Yeates (Eastleigh) all of whom are still playing (and White of course). Not sure any of ours are.
Also goalkeeper Mark Cousins currently at Barnet.

Many of our squad regulars from that promotion season were either there but not playing or were not there at all on Monday. I know Kem Izzet and Kevin Watson were present but not playing and of course John White only took a tiny role because of his injury. Players I can think of include Aidan Davidson (GK) now managing in India, Dean Gerken (GK) Pat Baldwin (DEF) now a teacher in the west country, Stephen Hunt (DEF), Liam Chilvers (DEF), Sam Stockley (DEF), Richard Garcia (Mid Field) now managing in Australia, Gareth Williams (Striker), Chris Iwelumo (Striker).

Great night for a fantastic cause so well done to all who organised it and made it possible

Many of our squad regulars from that promotion season were either there but not playing or were not there at all on Monday. I know Kem Izzet and Kevin Watson were present but not playing and of course John White only took a tiny role because of his injury. Players I can think of include Aidan Davidson (GK) now managing in India, Dean Gerken (GK) Pat Baldwin (DEF) now a teacher in the west country, Stephen Hunt (DEF), Liam Chilvers (DEF), Sam Stockley (DEF), Richard Garcia (Mid Field) now managing in Australia, Gareth Williams (Striker), Chris Iwelumo (Striker).

Kem Izzet definitely came on and I'm sure Kevin Watson did too

As DWB says, Kem Izzet definitely came on, I think we were hoping Pat Baldwin would be there.

I didn't know Yeates still played and honestly wouldn't have picked Halford out of a line up. Mark Cousins also plays for Barnet.

Mark was only 18 that season and didn't play a single league game because he was 3rd choice keeper. Aidan Davidson was the number 1, with Dean Gerken as the number 2.

That's fair. I only trying to cover those who were still playing on the night and not taking into account what bearing they had at that time.

That's fair. I only trying to cover those who were still playing on the night and not taking into account what bearing they had at that time.

No I didn't mean to offend you in any way mate, I was just saying to those who thought your players looked older than some of ours, that certain players may not have been regulars then.

No I didn't mean to offend you in any way mate, I was just saying to those who thought your players looked older than some of ours, that certain players may not have been regulars then.

Don't worry, you didn't offend me. =)

I didn't realise how many games JW had played by that point. Considering they're the same age, he must have had quite a breakthrough.

Don't worry, you didn't offend me. =)

I didn't realise how many games JW had played by that point. Considering they're the same age, he must have had quite a breakthrough.

Yes John did very well for us, he came up through our youth system and joined us when he was just 11 years old, so he had been with us 7 years before he played a first team game! He was frozen out by Paul Lambert in 2009, which is when he came out on loan to you guys for a month. Then Lambert left us to manage Norwich and John came back into contention. He stayed another 4 years or so. He played over 250 games for us in all competitions and was on decent money compared to many. When his contract was coming up for renewal the club wanted him to stay but on vastly reduced terms, so with a young family to consider he moved on to yourselves.

Yes John did very well for us, he came up through our youth system and joined us when he was just 11 years old, so he had been with us 7 years before he played a first team game! He was frozen out by Paul Lambert in 2009, which is when he came out on loan to you guys for a month. Then Lambert left us to manage Norwich and John came back into contention. He stayed another 4 years or so. He played over 250 games for us in all competitions and was on decent money compared to many. When his contract was coming up for renewal the club wanted him to stay but on vastly reduced terms, so with a young family to consider he moved on to yourselves.

It might just be because he was on loan with us at a very low point in our recent history or that he was from the enemy but I thought he was rubbish when he was on loan with us!

I think he had a cover left back too, which wouldn't have helped him much.

Back