• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The simple joys (that probably only make sense when you're 50)

Rob Noxious

Retro Supremo⭐
It seems that the older I get, the keener I am to preserve what's still good about life in this battered island. An example ... went into a pub in Penzance earlier this evening to check out whether it would be a good place to see some World Cup action in approximately 11 weeks' time. I'd been hooked in by the promise of a 'big screen' for such events, but found a collection of warnings. Firstly, the doorway was barred by refugee smokers, secondly the big screen was "broken" ... luckily, the pint of Tribute was rather good (hello, Glasgow SUFC :)) ... and lastly, the place was bedecked with kids' paraphernalia. Not long after, lo and behold, the young 'uns come in with their scooters and I exit stage right past the smokers after finishing the Tribute and reading a fine article by Tony Judt in last week-end's paper.

However, just down the road is an old boozer for old boozers called 'The Union.' Landlord clocks me as I come in, says to the the young barmaid "Bass," and after a bit of chat about her native Italy, I'm back to the paper and pint without fuss, no distractions except for a glorious Blues compilation cracking on from behind the bar. One particular track gets my attention and I start thinking, "...if only my brother were here, he would love this..." and I have to go up and ask my Caprian friend, "What is this track?" ... she had to consult the CD ('All That Blues') listing to advise me that it was 'The Walkin' Blues' by Lightnin' Hopkins.

I will be 50 this year and I am now liking the music of my brother's generation :stunned: ... someone once told me (when I was 29) that you can't reallly enjoy Van Morrison's music till you're 30. I must be a year ahead of my time ...

But seriously, folks ... what do you still consider great about life here? I had a rare epiphanous moment in 'The Union' to remind me that some of our pubs are still great. There's a lot of depressing stuff out there currently, but there are still some joys to be had from everyday public life, eg simple courtesies, stroking a cat, going to Roots Hall, going to an away game, seeing a good film, reading a great book, etc. Being a simple person, I'm interested in the simple things. Without tempting the swear/rudie filter, what simple joys do it for you?

I had such a moment on Saturday evening. Having two young kids under 5 Saturday nights out are a treat rather than the norm. So this week we'd rushed around doing loads with the two of them during the day so they were exhausted and in bed by 7 o'clock.

This meant I was able to cook the dinner in peace with my laptop on a table next to the BBQ listening to the Danny Baker Show streamed live via the wonders of wireless internet. I then sat outside with a few beers and listened to the whole show. It just felt like the best of both worlds, enjoying a nice warm Brisbane evening with a barbie and cold stubbies but also maintaining that link to home through the net. I listen to that and other shows regularly through the podcasts but to stream it live felt different, actually listening to it as it happened, as people back home were listening to it.

A simple joy, but lovely all the same. Hardly a wild, all action Saturday night (basically sitting at home listening to the wireless) so probably linked to reaching a certain age or at least stage in your life (bloody kids!)

I like taking the kids down Rossis.

I would like to see them impose a two hour time limit on pensioners to finish their cup of tea however.

Back