• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We are truly grateful to the many members who have contributed over the years to keep the Zone going.

These are just some ideas being thrown about as we have said previously that we don't really want to charge membership as we get all ages join the Zone and it may be unfair for a 14 year old to pay the same monies as someone earning £100,000 a year.

I am sure we will come to an agreeable solution but in the mean time if anyone wants to make a donation, either large or small, we will not refuse it. :smile:

Couldn't they just sponsor the zone?

Good afternoon all. Firstly there is no chance we can allow this site to disappear - what would life be without it.
I donated £100 last month so if I give another £150 when you are ready would that count as the third £250.
Hope so as oap not oligarth........

Ok to answer a few queries....not in any particular order.

We will NOT be going down the pay for the forum route. Somebody asked in this thread do any other forums charge for members..Well Southampton do and have done for years, charging £5 per year to join and view all aspects of their forums

John & Ken.

Gents,

I know you don't want to go down this route (or the ads route) but one of the other forums I live on (especially in the run in to Glastonbury ticket day and the festival itself), Efestivals has a split model where anyone that doesn't want to pay gets ads, and those who are happy to pay £18 a year get an ad free experience. Means that the site is still accessible to all. Possibly one to consider if the other options don't pan out (though I will buy a mug).

G

Good afternoon all. Firstly there is no chance we can allow this site to disappear - what would life be without it.
I donated £100 last month so if I give another £150 when you are ready would that count as the third £250.
Hope so as oap not oligarth........

It will. Great stuff, thank you sir. So we just need one more to kick in fbm's offer..

Gents,

I know you don't want to go down this route (or the ads route) but one of the other forums I live on (especially in the run in to Glastonbury ticket day and the festival itself), Efestivals has a split model where anyone that doesn't want to pay gets ads, and those who are happy to pay £18 a year get an ad free experience. Means that the site is still accessible to all. Possibly one to consider if the other options don't pan out (though I will buy a mug).

G

I would be happy to see adverts for say Harmony II or the Private Shop on Alexandra Street.

Stand up and be counted they say..So I am in for the last £250..that makes us 4... Fbm, Alrounce and Chalkwell shrimper.

Any other donations are of course welcome.

Stand up and be counted they say..So I am in for the last £250..that makes us 4... Fbm, Alrounce and Chalkwell shrimper.

Any other donations are of course welcome.

Good news - that sorts this year out I guess. Gives everyone a year to get next year resolved!

Coming to this seemingly a little late but anyway here's my four penneth (can't manage £250 at the mo). Tho I agree SZ for £25 pa would still be great value I think there are too many negatives to make a compulsory subscription a starter. Best IMHO to go for some fund raising along the lines of the ideas already mentioned.

Anyway, here's my contibution as an idea, tho it might make you all groan a bit and maybe SZ is already a saturated market for it now, but here goes:

- I'm not interested in making money from my book now, just want to up the sales to 1,000 (currently circa 930) so I can get one more zero closer to JK Rowling. Recent royalties have gone to either Little Havens, Moody Blues or Parkinsons
- The royalties are about £1.88 a book from a £8.99 purchase on Amazon, a bit more if you go for the kindle option. So lets call it £2 a book (Amazon, the publisher and the printer cream the rest)
- For anyone on SZ who buys the book now (and says they will on a SZ post) I'll pay £2 a book to SZ.
- Folk can either collect a copy from me in the Shrimpers Bar before a match (I usually grace the place with my presence in the Shrimpers Trust corner from about 2.00 pm to 2.45 pm ish on a Saturday KO), or
- They can get it from Amazon and tell me when they've done it (there is a way of seeing the sales come through tho I can't tell who so will have to rely on honesty and not you hoping that at the same time some non SZ'er buys and I think that's you)

If the mods think this is a goer I'll run a thread on the Chit Chat forum for a week, bump it up from time to time and then let it die as I suspect a week is more than enough.

Tho I know a lot of SZ folk have already got it maybe there are some who have missed my posts on it :smile: If you've got it then maybe get another copy for your favourite aunty.

It's a win-win: I get to see my sales total tick up closer to the 1,000 mark, SZ get some dosh, and the SZ buyer gets a great read (or if they have it already maybe they can get it as a present for someone they love) :smile:

As an added bonus if you all can get me up to the 1,000 mark I'll change my Avatar and never mention the bloody book on here again :smile:

For the sake of any doubt I would only donate the £2 per book to folk saying on SZ they want one - I'm still pushing it a bit elsewhere (when not on SUEPA stuff) and for non SZ sales the royalties at the mo are still going to Parkinsons

I'll wait to hear. If you don't think its a runner I don't mind.

UTB

Good news - that sorts this year out I guess. Gives everyone a year to get next year resolved!

This was nothing about the yearly costs Mark, we have those covered for now, it was about the long term plan for a new site my friend.

Coming to this seemingly a little late but anyway here's my four penneth (can't manage £250 at the mo). Tho I agree SZ for £25 pa would still be great value I think there are too many negatives to make a compulsory subscription a starter. Best IMHO to go for some fund raising along the lines of the ideas already mentioned.

Anyway, here's my contibution as an idea, tho it might make you all groan a bit and maybe SZ is already a saturated market for it now, but here goes:

- I'm not interested in making money from my book now, just want to up the sales to 1,000 (currently circa 930) so I can get one more zero closer to JK Rowling. Recent royalties have gone to either Little Havens, Moody Blues or Parkinsons
- The royalties are about £1.88 a book from a £8.99 purchase on Amazon, a bit more if you go for the kindle option. So lets call it £2 a book (Amazon, the publisher and the printer cream the rest)
- For anyone on SZ who buys the book now (and says they will on a SZ post) I'll pay £2 a book to SZ.
- Folk can either collect a copy from me in the Shrimpers Bar before a match (I usually grace the place with my presence in the Shrimpers Trust corner from about 2.00 pm to 2.45 pm ish on a Saturday KO), or
- They can get it from Amazon and tell me when they've done it (there is a way of seeing the sales come through tho I can't tell who so will have to rely on honesty and not you hoping that at the same time some non SZ'er buys and I think that's you)

If the mods think this is a goer I'll run a thread on the Chit Chat forum for a week, bump it up from time to time and then let it die as I suspect a week is more than enough.

Tho I know a lot of SZ folk have already got it maybe there are some who have missed my posts on it :smile: If you've got it then maybe get another copy for your favourite aunty.

It's a win-win: I get to see my sales total tick up closer to the 1,000 mark, SZ get some dosh, and the SZ buyer gets a great read (or if they have it already maybe they can get it as a present for someone they love) :smile:

As an added bonus if you all can get me up to the 1,000 mark I'll change my Avatar and never mention the bloody book on here again :smile:

For the sake of any doubt I would only donate the £2 per book to folk saying on SZ they want one - I'm still pushing it a bit elsewhere (when not on SUEPA stuff) and for non SZ sales the royalties at the mo are still going to Parkinsons

I'll wait to hear. If you don't think its a runner I don't mind.

UTB

I have "Roots to the 92" it is a great book, Go for it...

I still think an occasional Quiz or Race Night as a fund raiser is a goer - there are enough Zone members to bring friends along or to re-establish connections with former Zone members who might be willing to come along in support of an event. a Quiz Night for us, with a fish and chip supper and a raffle, normally makes around £400 - £600, so just two events a year and you'd have this covered.

Well done to those who are in a position to stick their hands in their pockets for the sum of money mentioned :clap:

It's up to the rest of us to show our appreciation of the Zone by doing a bit to help raise funds.

Just made my donation which I hope helps a little.

My wife just got me one of those signed Stan Collymore A4 photos for my birthday which was £25 and went straight to the club I believe. Is there any way that you could follow that lead and get some signed photos to sell?

I'd happily pay that for the likes of Freddie, Tilly, SCP ................just a thought

My wife just got me one of those signed Stan Collymore A4 photos for my birthday which was £25 and went straight to the club I believe. Is there any way that you could follow that lead and get some signed photos to sell?

I'd happily pay that for the likes of Freddie, Tilly, SCP ................just a thought

Rhys shssss lets me have access to all SUFC pics...let me know what you want.

Who do you want. Cricko, mcnasty, rigsby, barnablue or God forbid, Mad Cyril.:smile:

My two penneth:

There are a number of ways people could be encouraged to pay for the site especially if the think they are getting value for money and it is being used properly.

I don’t know how much it costs to run the site. But using the suggested figure of £25/per year it would be interesting to know how many sign ups we need to cover the cost of the zone for a year and what would happen to any surplus donations?

You would have to decide when a person pays, for example give him 100 free posts as no one is going to sign for something they may not like or can’t see.

Also a sliding scale could be introduced to join for shorter periods, maybe for 3, 6 or 12 months with the year subscription effectively being subsidised by the shorter sign ups.

Another idea could be to have a banner saying how much it costs to run SZ for a month and the amount of donations received so far. Those who have donated have something special on the details, a flag perhaps. Also they would have access to things a non donator won’t have – maybe no access to the like button, no access to PM facility, any photos posted in thumbnail size only. No access to public votes etc if you haven’t paid to join.

I am sure you will get may have other ideas.

Back