• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
There is a feeling among the journalists who cover Arsenal regularly that, in the event of a calamitous keyboard malfunction, they could probably file their latest match report using a hastily-assembled hybrid of old ones. A quick rummage through 'My Documents', they claim, would deliver all the lines they need. Let's see if it works...

After an arduous night against Fenerbahce, Arsenal were 'left counting the cost of a series of missed opportunities'. Uh-huh, I've certainly got a few versions of that line clogging up my hard drive. They also 'enjoyed the lion's share of possession' and indeed they 'passed the ball about beautifully at times'. This is easy, isn't it? However, the Gunners 'lacked the penetration to break down their opponents' and 'failed to convert their exquisite build-up play into out-and-out chances' This is great! I never need work again!

Worryingly though, perhaps even more worrying than the thought of my bosses reading all of that and deciding that they never need pay me again, is that Arsene Wenger doesn't seem to be doing anything about it. Other managers might have taken action in the summer, adapting the style of play to allow for a more direct approach. Maybe Wenger could have signed Roque Santa Cruz and then pushed for better crosses and set-pieces. Maybe he could have recruited the battering ram that is Marseille's Mamadou Niang, to assist Emmanuel Adebayor. Instead, he chose to do nothing, except to sign Samir Nasri, a small, but very skilful attacking midfielder. As if he doesn't have enough of them already.

This 'all topping and no pizza' approach to life is starting to grate on the Arsenal fan's nerves, especially when it's abundantly clear to most that Denilson is no replacement for Mathieu Flamini in the centre. The one player last season who fought like a dog for possession and stopped other teams in their tracks is gone and he's been replaced by an anonymous Fabregas-lite.The supporters are looking at Chelsea and Manchester United, they're seeing entertaining football, backed by grit, determination and physical strength and they're starting to ask, 'Why can't we do that?'

Wenger might very well defend himself by pointing to Robin van Persie and his four missed first-half chances as proof that nothing is wrong with the system. He may even produce the injury list that contains the names of half of his first team as an excuse for this wobbly patch of form. After all, how could any team expect consistent success in the absence of Adebayor, William Gallas, Theo Walcott, Mikael Silvestre, Tomas Rosicky and Eduardo?

But the time is fast approaching when he will have to accept that teams have learnt how to combat their football. Fenerbahce's deep-lying defenders just stood back and allowed Arsenal to play because they knew that if they gave them enough room, they would run out of ideas and start stroking the ball around the edge of the penalty area in an impotent rage. Yes, they will be much improved when those injured players return and they may even have a touch of that penetration that eluded them here against the Turks, but until they learn how to take chances and make them count, the doughty men and women of the press pack are going to stuck writing the same old story, again and again and again. And it's getting boring now.

I am no lover of either club, but I would be extremely amused to see Spurs winning a trophy this year (they have to be a good bet for a domestic cup) whilst Arsenal continue to win style awards and nothing else. Wenger's smugness and dismissal of Redknapp's rejuvenated Tottenham side was contemptible, particularly when Arsenal have won nothing recently.

Just for Naps, here it is!

*whispers* I hate the Punters Rant!

SOLID DEFENCE - A fortnight ago, Luis Aragones instructed Fenerbahce to push up the pitch and catch Arsenal offside. They conceded five goals. This time, the tactics were very different. Deep lines of yellow shirts and determined tackling earned the Turks their point.

MISS OF THE DAY - There were a lot to choose from, with Robin van Persie being the worst offender. When Volkan Demirel punched a ball straight to the Dutchman's feet, he should have spanked it straight past him, but instead drove the ball into the ground and it was deflected over. What a waste.

ELECTRIC - With injuries all over the squad, Kolo Toure was shifted out to right-back and he excelled. His pace allowed him to push forward, one superb through-ball almost led to a Robin van Persie goal and you suspect that if Theo Walcott had been there to link up with him, this could have been rather different.

PUNTERS RANT - This was a steady stream of one-way traffic without a clear destination in mind. If I'd backed Arsenal for the win, I think I'd have been so frustrated that I'd have had to set fire to the television.

MAN OF THE MATCH - This was not a masterclass in the art of goalkeeping by any means, but Volkan Demirel deserves credit for his sheer presence between the posts. Hurling yourself, arms flailing, at everything that comes near you isn't a foolproof plan, but it worked for the Fenerbahce goalkeeper time after time.

MATCH STATS

ARSENAL

Lukasz Fabianski 6, Cesc Fabregas 6, Kolo Toure 7, Samir Nasri 6, Robin Van Persie 6, Denilson 6, Aaron Ramsey 6 (Abou Diaby 6), Mikael Silvestre 6 (Alexander Song 6), Johan Djourou 6, Gael Clichy 6, Nicklas Bendtner 6 (Carlos Vela 6)

FENERBAHCE

Volkan Demirel 7, Lugano 7, Roberto Carlos 6 (Gokcek Vedersen 6), Edu 6, Kazim Kazim 5 (Ali Bilgan 6), Daniel Guiza 6, Selcuk Sahin 6, Semih Senturk 6, Ugar Boral 6, Claudio Maldonado 6 (Josico 6), Gokhan Gonul 6

Yellow Cards - Djourou, Van Persie (Arsenal) , Sahin, Lugano, Vederson (Fenerbahce)

Red Cards - None

Attendance - 60,003

It was a great album Slipper.....

12077.jpg

That is all I have to say

Goodnight.:dim:

As much as I agree with the content of Slipperduke's post - and I especially enjoyed the opening paragraph about cliched phrases - I'm a bit baffled by the media's (over)reaction to Wednesday's draw. After all, Arsenal did thrash Fenerbahce in Turkey and remain two points clear in their Champions League group. Yet the way the media reported it you'd think they were already out of the competition.

Back