• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Southend Pound

'Cornwall Welcomes You'

"Emmets" of course have a vested interest in denying the importance of the Cornish language.
For personal and professional reasons I prefer to celebrate the existence of minority cultures and their languages.

'Agas dynergh Kernow.' :)

Living in Penzance I thought your geography of the region would be better!

Surely Southampton is the South, rather than the South West?

I was thinking of a way to bracket the Southend Pound thread title with the South-Western angle which had developed here ... anyway, it's more West than East! :)

Last edited:
"Emmets" of course have a vested interest in denying the importance of the Cornish language.

Interesting point, but history surely demonstrates that it was the Cornish themselves who underestimated the value of their own language - it was they who themselves let it go: no-one forced them to stop speaking it ... And I can assure you there is no 'vested interest' from an emmet - or any other - point of view (at least not on my part). Yes, cultural minority should be valued and even 'celebrated' and yes, language IS of central importance to Human life. But history should not be rewritten for political propaganda purposes – and this IS what has happened down here. Though I am guessing that unless it is written somewhere within the trusty annals of connventional academia, the very real and relevent experience of those who actually live here will remain always too easy to dismiss ….

I have to agree with you again Phil!

As a long time emmett (35 years and counting) I support the Cornish Language revival plus Cornish Independance

Getting back to the thread I also support the idea of a Southend Pound

Yeah, I totally understand the logic and emotion behind it. But in practical terms of reality, it just will not work.

But, getting back to the main subject ... lots of places now do these 'Local Exchange Trading Systems' that can to a point do away with money altogether. Done properly they can work really well. Everyone basically swaps skills and items - an hour of time or an item is worth a certain amount in 'LETS' non-monetary units, there is a banking system with everyone acruing and spending according to what they need and when - and, more to the point, getting the jobs done and things that they need. Also great for building community - though it can be a bit 'cliquey' in a small place.

Yeah, I totally understand the logic and emotion behind it. But in practical terms of reality, it just will not work.

Talking about money,this is of course just the sort of thing that was said about the Euro at and before its inception.
In fact, it works just fine, for those countries sensible enough to have signed up for it at the time.:)

Last edited:
I have to agree with you again Phil!

As a long time emmett (35 years and counting) I support the Cornish Language revival plus Cornish Independance

Getting back to the thread I also support the idea of a Southend Pound

Surely we can disagree about something Richard?Just for old times sake! :)

Read my reply carefully. I didn't accept the bet!:)

<I suppose He might just stay until aftertomorrow's game but I doubt it somehow.<

Ha - I think you're coming across as the self-obsessed/self-centred one here, because I really wasn't talking to you on this one ... I was simply trying to get it back to the 'Southend Pound' thread title. Sorry Groyney .... as Tennyson once said, you can't learn 'em! :whistling:

Last edited:
Yesterday

... lots of places now do these 'Local Exchange Trading Systems' that can to a point do away with money altogether. Done properly they can work really well. Everyone basically swaps skills and items - an hour of time or an item is worth a certain amount in 'LETS' non-monetary units, there is a banking system with everyone acruing and spending according to what they need and when - and, more to the point, getting the jobs done and things that they need. Also great for building community - though it can be a bit 'cliquey' in a small place.

"LETS" -or in its previous incarnation- TRADESWAPS www.tradeswaps.co.uk is so yesterday, that it's even appeared in a TEFL textbook c.f. New English File Intermediate Workbook.(OUP). 2006. :)

Last edited:
That's what I'd call a warm Cornish welcome. ;)

But is it Cornish, Phil ? My impression (from when I lived in Porthleven) is that a lot of these holiday home-owners are 'incomers' and not the indigenous Cornish, however defined.

Talking about money,this is of course just the sort of thing that was said about the Euro at and before its inception.
In fact, it works just fine, for those countries sensible enough to have signed up for it at the time.:)

Again, a completely diferent issue .........

Last edited:
Back