• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Southend Pound

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
Just been watching Michael Portillo's programme where he goes round Britain on the train (only because I couldn't be bothered to switch over to SSN).

One of the places he visited was the Devon town of Totnes. One of the things that struck me was that the local people there have introduced their own currency, the 'Totnes Pound'.

Around 80 shops, restaurants and pubs in Totnes accept the currency and it encourages locals to spend money in the town itself rather than elsewhere. It's apparently very popular with residents and tourists alike.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the 'Southend Pound' up and running to see if it could spark up the local economy?

Just been watching Michael Portillo's programme where he goes round Britain on the train (only because I couldn't be bothered to switch over to SSN).

One of the places he visited was the Devon town of Totnes. One of the things that struck me was that the local people there have introduced their own currency, the 'Totnes Pound'.

Around 80 shops, restaurants and pubs in Totnes accept the currency and it encourages locals to spend money in the town itself rather than elsewhere. It's apparently very popular with residents and tourists alike.

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the 'Southend Pound' up and running to see if it could spark up the local economy?

On a slightly different subject some bloke was on the radio last week saying how they want to re introduce the Cornish language to schools in that area.

Absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

On a slightly different subject some bloke was on the radio last week saying how they want to re introduce the Cornish language to schools in that area.

Been doing that for years ! They also want independence. I hope not id miss the cornish pasties . Maybe we could have a treaty , a pastry one hmmm.

Because it is one of the poorest regions in the UK and receives poverty grants from the EU.

Is teaching kids an arcane language going to do anything to change that?

Nice one Cyril.
It will only alienate them from the rest of England. They will all become aliens, perhaps they already are!!

from here

The Cornish Language (Kernewek) is the direct descendant of the ancient language spoken by the Celtic settlers who inhabited Cornwall (Kernow) and most of the British Isles long before the Roman conquest.

That would make it the original English language before it got corrupted by those nasty foreigners coming here (Romans , Angles, Saxons, Vikings , Normans etc)

Perhaps the BNP might take up their cause

Er...Why is it ridiculous exactly?

Why isnt ridiculous? Cornwall is part of England. The Cornish language has all but died out. Why try and revive it now? They all speak English anyway.

If they insist on teaching another language, why don’t they pick one that might be beneficial to them as some stage in their life.

surely the idea of speaking different languages is so you can communicate with other people. If you already communicate in the same language why do you need another one?

Last edited:
That would make it the original English language before it got corrupted by those nasty foreigners coming here (Romans , Angles, Saxons, Vikings , Normans etc)

My God man listen to yourself! If it weren't for all those invasions we'd basically be Welsh. Can you imagine the suffering, and the utter humiliation? Thank you Romans for the roads, thank you Angles for the language, thank you Saxons for Essex, thank you Vikings for our god damn imbued belligerence, and thank you Normans for a bunch of toffs and English common law.

End all that, end our Englishness? Shag sheep? (On a side note are the people of Colchester related to the Welsh?)

Presumably the Southend pound would feature Jordan's face on one side and a bottle of White Lightning on the other.

Agreed - the Devonians would be distinctly unimpressed! :)

from here

The Cornish Language (Kernewek) is the direct descendant of the ancient language spoken by the Celtic settlers who inhabited Cornwall (Kernow) and most of the British Isles long before the Roman conquest.

Perhaps the BNP might take up their cause

:) Interesting association at the end there, FS. This issue sparks spirited debate in 'Kernow' itself, as per link below ...
http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=14643&uid=227530325968#/topic.php?uid=100698735730&topic=9247

'Onen hag oll' ! :clap:

Sorry Groyney to take your interesting subject :offtopic:but it's rare to see a Cornish angle in these threads and as I live here, then I feel I have to join in! Back to your original topic though and I think a Southend Pound would be a good idea and I would certainly like one or two as souvenirs when I make my rare public appearances back home. Spend, spend, spend ... for the good of Southend! :clap:

Back