• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Southend United Program debate.

What is your choice on matchday programme provision?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blues exile

First XI
Lawrence's response re the programme problem was equivocal and evasive. If it's part of cost cutting it's going to rebound with fewer sales as a result. Buying a programme was to me always an integral part of going to a game and if this is now problematic it will only exacerbate discontent at how the club is run. Maybe only a relatively minor issue in the context of ticket problems, poor telephone systems, Blues TV, more waffle on FF etc but it all adds up to a poorly run club with little regard for its supporters. I really do question the wisdom of spending money that isn't there on a CEO when things are still going wrong at virtually every level.

Lawrence's response re the programme problem was equivocal and evasive. If it's part of cost cutting it's going to rebound with fewer sales as a result. Buying a programme was to me always an integral part of going to a game and if this is now problematic it will only exacerbate discontent at how the club is run. Maybe only a relatively minor issue in the context of ticket problems, poor telephone systems, Blues TV, more waffle on FF etc but it all adds up to a poorly run club with little regard for its supporters. I really do question the wisdom of spending money that isn't there on a CEO when things are still going wrong at virtually every level.
It's not about cost cutting, it's about the carbon footprint. Ideally people would buy an online version.

…Talking about good programme service I was well impressed by Kings Lynn who sent me a copy of the programme for our first NL match there for just a fiver.That's what I call looking after supporters.
You can purchase individual copies online direct from Curtis Sport for £4.80 including postage and packaging, or subscribe for the season for £95 (£4.32 per programme, but home Cup games are included, so that would be reduced if we have decent runs and home draws in The FA Cup and/or FA Trophy). Programme usually arrives the day before the game as well: https://www.curtis-sport.com/southend-united

It's not about cost cutting, it's about the carbon footprint. Ideally people would buy an online version.
The carbon footprint argument is dubious unless the print run has been significantly reduced. Do you know if it has been? Of course, It's how many were printed, not how many were sold. This is a question that the CEO should have been asked but he basically got away from the point. It was said at the Zoom meeting that there were 117(?) left over from the Stockport game so it's more a case of ready availability being compromised by getting rid of programme sellers, i.e cost cutting.

The programme thing smacks of some people just not liking change, programmes are still available from multiple outlets that sell more than just programmes which is a better use of the clubs limited budget.

I'm a little perplexed by people not wanting to go to the bar or refreshments kiosk due to covid but they are happy to handle a programme that someone else has handled along with attending a football match

The programme thing smacks of some people just not liking change, programmes are still available from multiple outlets that sell more than just programmes which is a better use of the clubs limited budget.

I'm a little perplexed by people not wanting to go to the bar or refreshments kiosk due to covid but they are happy to handle a programme that someone else has handled along with attending a football match

Is it a better use of the budget if it sees a reduction in the number sold?

Usually you see a good number with programmes near where I sit. I can count on one hand how many I saw v Stockport

I think fo rme whilst i get the angst over the programme, it makes sense to put them where people may purchase something else, it could potentially increase revenue. if they are sold by someone else in another building the risks are the same as getting them from the kiosks / bar / ticket office.

BUt all points are merited i guess as it is important people feel safe and happy in the environment that are in

Of course we may get a bike stand in future.That'll help loads with the carbon footbrint too. :Winking:

Edit.BTW I've looked on the OS and can't see anywhere where I can buy an online programme for the Wrexham game.Care to provide a link?

Last edited:
Have you tried to get served in the Shrimpers' Bar 40 minutes before kick off?? It's bad enough trying to get a beer.... another hundred (or more) queuing to get a programme??? Ridiculous solution. I thought that previously the BlueBelles helped out selling programmes at the gate, which surely meant that the club saved on extra costs?

I'm a little perplexed by people not wanting to go to the bar or refreshments kiosk due to covid
but they are happy to handle a programme that someone else has handled along with attending a football match.

Do you know of any othere clubs in the NL (or higher) which operate a similar policy?

Why should anyone have to queue up at a food and beverage counter when all they want is a programme? Doesn't make sense to me.

Do you know of any othere clubs in the NL (or higher) which operate a similar policy?

Why should anyone have to queue up at a food and beverage counter when all they want is a programme? Doesn't make sense to me.
They would have to queue up there because that is where they are sold, if you want a programme that is where you go to get them. You might even treat yourself to a kit-kat whilst you are there which of course is extra income for the club

They would have to queue up there because that is where they are sold, if you want a programme that is where you go to get them. You might even treat yourself to a kit-kat whilst you are there which of course is extra income for the club

See you didn't answer my first question.I assume No is your answer? :Winking:

I "enjoyed" getting my programme from the food kiosk. Was nice having it put on the counter with the spilt tea, sugar and salt
They had none at the South kiosk today. Only in the shop apparently. By then I was through the turnstiles!

Not that i am defending the process but the fact that maybe none or only a few clubs do what we have put in place for programs doesn’t make it wrong. Before a lot of people do things someone has to try it first. It also doesn’t take it right, should have been clear before the season starts or have one point fo reach stand to go that is dedicated. I am guessing it is a cost saving thing so they can utilise the staff at the locations they are now at whilst not employing people to be out in multiple locations.

Personally i would have a couple of people waking around the edge of th pitch selling them before the game and at half time, what is then left can go into the club shop for after that game and after the day sales.

Last edited:
Back