• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Sponsors' Evening Thread

Matt the Shrimp

aka Harry Potter
As many of you know, last night was the Sponsors' Evening at the Essex County Hotel, where we got to meet the players, have our photos taken with them, look at the new stadium plans and have a few canapes...

smile.gif

So, any interesting photos / stories? I'll open the bidding with this photo:

mattpriorandmeud6.jpg

Spinner was standing by the oysters when we snapped this particular photo, and with a glint in his eye said that his missus better brace herself for him getting home...

laugh.gif

Random piece of analysis: why are defenders usually more sociable and gregarious than forwards? Last four players there last night: Spinner, Clarkey, Adam and (last of all to leave) Efe? The latter was on very good form, and I will dredge up that interview thread on here and meet him to do that interview in the next month or so.

The stadium mock-up and proposals look great - if you get the chance to see them in the club shop, you should.

Tilly is well up for a table tennis match with Rio Ferdinand - and reckons the loser should donate a week of his wages to Little Havens Childrens Hospice - sounds like a plan to me.

Had a decent natter with Ricky Duncan, who was very enthused about the new stadium. He also seems very upbeat about his current crop of youngsters, and feels that Ron Martin has bought into the vision that the youth policy could and should be central to the club's future. That's enormously encouraging. Interestingly, he's still in touch with young John Ruddy, the former Cambridge keeper who got sold to Everton as a 17 year old. Who knows, if things don't work out for him on Merseyside...?! (and no, Ricky didn't say that, that's purely my surmising)

What else... Ron Martin cracked the "massive points failure at Upton Park" gag to general laughter and groaning... Brian Wheeler noted that the upswing in the club's fortunes had coincided with his arrival, to general guffaws of disbelief... erm, and that's about it of any great interest from my part.

So folks, over to you.

smile.gif

Matt

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Oct. 27 2006,11:09)]Nice to see David Baddiel turn up as well.
Nice to see Matt made an effort and wore a suit. I don't think I've ever seen him wear a suit

laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 27 2006,11:13)]Nice to see Matt made an effort and wore a suit. I don't think I've ever seen him wear a suit

laugh.gif
...which is weird, since I spend half my life wearing one...

upside.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 27 2006,11:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ Oct. 27 2006,11:13)]Nice to see Matt made an effort and wore a suit. I don't think I've ever seen him wear a suit

laugh.gif
...which is weird, since I spend half my life wearing one...

upside.gif
Thats Napster's humour for you ...

suspect.gif

found it quite amusing that no-one from the Club who I spoke to actually referred to Michael Ricketts as 'Michael Ricketts'.

it was all 'a certain player who has left' and 'I can't really talk about that person'

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 27 2006,10:30)]As many of you know, last night was the Sponsors' Evening at the Essex County Hotel, where we got to meet the players, have our photos taken with them, look at the new stadium plans and have a few canapes...

smile.gif

So, any interesting photos / stories?  I'll open the bidding with this photo:

mattpriorandmeud6.jpg

Spinner was standing by the oysters when we snapped this particular photo, and with a glint in his eye said that his missus better brace herself for him getting home...

laugh.gif

Random piece of analysis: why are defenders usually more sociable and gregarious than forwards?  Last four players there last night: Spinner, Clarkey, Adam and (last of all to leave) Efe?  The latter was on very good form, and I will dredge up that interview thread on here and meet him to do that interview in the next month or so.

The stadium mock-up and proposals look great - if you get the chance to see them in the club shop, you should.

Tilly is well up for a table tennis match with Rio Ferdinand - and reckons the loser should donate a week of his wages to Little Havens Childrens Hospice - sounds like a plan to me.

Had a decent natter with Ricky Duncan, who was very enthused about the new stadium.  He also seems very upbeat about his current crop of youngsters, and feels that Ron Martin has bought into the vision that the youth policy could and should be central to the club's future.  That's enormously encouraging.  Interestingly, he's still in touch with young John Ruddy, the former Cambridge keeper who got sold to Everton as a 17 year old.  Who knows, if things don't work out for him on Merseyside...?! (and no, Ricky didn't say that, that's purely my surmising)

What else... Ron Martin cracked the "massive points failure at Upton Park" gag to general laughter and groaning... Brian Wheeler noted that the upswing in the club's fortunes had coincided with his arrival, to general guffaws of disbelief... erm, and that's about it of any great interest from my part.  

So folks, over to you.

smile.gif

Matt
MY god.......... where was Frank Skinner
smile.gif

Main thing I recall from the evening was Leeboy talking to Che and brushing off those people who were trying to get an autograph off him, ''how dare they try to chat up my man''

Still not as bad as those kids LB wacked round the head when they were trying to get an autograph of Che at the MTB day

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Oct. 27 2006,11:41)]will upload my photos on Monday as I am still broadband-less at home  
sad.gif
With all due respect, I think people are far more interested in the gossip, not pictures of you touching Che.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (statski77 @ Oct. 27 2006,11:47)]Main thing I recall from the evening was Leeboy talking to Che and brushing off those people who were trying to get an autograph off him, ''how dare they try to chat up my man''
Why would anyone want Leeboy's autograph?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (statski77 @ Oct. 27 2006,11:47)]Main thing I recall from the evening was Leeboy talking to Che and brushing off those people who were trying to get an autograph off him, ''how dare they try to chat up my man''
obviously Cheese was saying this to people trying to get my autograph
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Leeboy @ Oct. 27 2006,11:53)]
[b said:
obviously Cheese was saying this to people trying to get my autograph  
cool.gif
too slow

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 27 2006,10:30)]
mattpriorandmeud6.jpg
What on earth is Spencer Prior wearing?

He looks like he is getting ready to go figure skating or appear on Strictly come dancing.

Back