• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
It's looking good, we've strengthened by bringing in as permanent signings McLaughlin and Pigott from Championship clubs, a Championship defender (Rea) on a 6 month loan plus O'Neill who is absolute quality, a very experienced striker in Noel Hunt, plus experienced L1 players in Mooney and Wordsworth.

Bearing in mind we have only lost Corr (aside from the players we released) and hopefully have kept hold of Bentley and Coker, that is actually pretty good. The nucleus is the same, which means not too much disruption and the newbies should make the squad stronger.

We will be fine people, give it a few weeks and we will be quite comfortable, of that I'm sure.

Isn't Pig a loan till Jan with a view to a permanent move? Or perhaps I have missed something.

Certainly is. Although there is more chance of Obama achieving gun law controls that PB not keeping him after all the noise he made about getting him. (and the goal at Wembley, of course).

It's looking good, we've strengthened by bringing in as permanent signings McLaughlin and Pigott from Championship clubs, a Championship defender (Rea) on a 6 month loan plus O'Neill who is absolute quality, a very experienced striker in Noel Hunt, plus experienced L1 players in Mooney and Wordsworth.

Bearing in mind we have only lost Corr (aside from the players we released) and hopefully have kept hold of Bentley and Coker, that is actually pretty good. The nucleus is the same, which means not too much disruption and the newbies should make the squad stronger.

We will be fine people, give it a few weeks and we will be quite comfortable, of that I'm sure.

Agree, we've just not quite gelled yet, may still take another 3/4 games, but no need to panic just yet.

yes he is on loan .But as I read it its almost agreed that it will be made a permanent in January .Hope so because I am sure he will grow into a very good striker given time .

"Only" you say? :winking:

PB say he want one more striker, then he is done.

Wouldn't surprise me if 1 or 2 of our squad players goes out on loan to like of Dagenham.

Not a good enough squad I'm afraid. Lacking League One quality and spent too long signing up our League Two players when we should have been releasing some more and looking at better players.

we also need a goalscorer. A league two benchwarmer from last year is not going to win us games and I for one would be very disappointed if we sign him permanently unless we see a marked improvement in his goal scoring credentials.

When everyone fully fit, it is a 23-man first team squad. And how many would be considered automatic choices - Bentley, Coker, White, Leonard and Hunt maybe. Other than those five, everyone else should know that they are facing stiff competition for their places and, if found wanting, they will soon be on the periphery of things. On the face of it, squad looks good enough to me. Up to the players to take on the challenge and prove themselves

I'm with fbm. I think the squad looks really good. For a club with our limited finances, I think PB has done really well. There is a mix of hard working ex-League Two players and players that have played Championship and League One football. We have good backup in all positions, so we won't be too weakened during the busy schedules (Xmas, cup replays etc). Need a goalscorer ? I'm not sure who people expect us to sign ? Neymar, Suarez, Messi ? Hunt, Mooney and Pigott all have good goalscoring ratios. They just need to start blending together. Onwards and Upwards :thumbsup:

Not a good enough squad I'm afraid. Lacking League One quality and spent too long signing up our League Two players when we should have been releasing some more and looking at better players.

we also need a goalscorer. A league two benchwarmer from last year is not going to win us games and I for one would be very disappointed if we sign him permanently unless we see a marked improvement in his goal scoring credentials.

Thats the spirit :hilarious:

Not good enough is a bit strong, but agree with the general sentiment that we should have mixed it up a bit more.

Give it 10-12 games into the new season and get a proper idea of the standard and then attack the transfers when the window opens.

Thats the spirit :hilarious:

Entitled to an opinion as a fan of the club. With this squad, I can see us maybe avoiding relegation, at best. I don't care what anyone says, there is a difference in quality between L1 and L2. I appreciate the sentiment for the boys that got us here but we need the strongest squad we can afford and if that means having to cull last years squad, then so be it.

however, always happy to admit when I'm wrong and maybe the boys can start with a Win today....

Entitled to an opinion as a fan of the club. With this squad, I can see us maybe avoiding relegation, at best. I don't care what anyone says, there is a difference in quality between L1 and L2. I appreciate the sentiment for the boys that got us here but we need the strongest squad we can afford and if that means having to cull last years squad, then so be it.

however, always happy to admit when I'm wrong and maybe the boys can start with a Win today....

Err we don't play til Monday :smiles:

We did well under Tilly with a relatively unchanged squad, but what we did get was The Goat, who was a class above. This time, I agree with you that we haven't invested enough in L1 talent and we are going to rely mainly on L2 players. I really hope Hunt is our Goat this time round but unless PB plays the 442 system, much like Tilly did using a combination of Eastwood, The Goat and Wayne Gray, we will struggle.

We don't really have anyone up front in the mould of Eastwood or The Goat and Gray was as good as anyone we have now. In fact, player for player, the only really quality we have over Tilly's L1 promotion is Bentley if I'm honest

Its tough living here at the moment with Gills top of the league currently. I have watched as they have skilfully improved the strength of their squad over the last 2 season in particular. Firstly under Peter Taylor and now Justin Edinburgh. I am sure Barratt will now this well! I am able to retort they wouldnt be where they are without two former Southend Players managing them and have Glen Morris as well as Eganl??!!
Incidentally they brought in 9 players fairly early, ( a factor known to influence league position ) and quite a few with considerable pace!! ugh!!

Just for those who think that our squad is "league 2" and too weak: the back 4 for Bournmouth today in the premieshite, and who have held their own up till now as they have progressed through the leagues, are the same back 4 that they got promoted with from league 1.
The season has just started, look around the current tables and see who is currently in promotion and relegation places, then tell me you expect them to stay there.
Our squad when it gels will be ok.

Back