• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

tommy tucker

Manager
Was it just me or did the pitch cut up badly .In all honesty I think that the worse ive seen a pitch at the start of the season .They must find a answer to the problem or come winter its only going to get worse .

Last edited by a moderator:
It looked terrible. I'm never seen such a bad pitch at the Hall. Really really poor playing surface.

It was marginally better than the Brighton game.

Have you seen the new groundman and his team though?

STS3TheSnapshot_05-1024x575.jpg

Yes pitch wasn't good. What I did notice was some extra turf by the NW corner. Its now an extended steep slope rather than a step up if your taking a corner.

From where I was sitting it only looked improved for a right footer pulling the ball out but not for a left footer. I was pleased to see Timlin had no problem and delivered a very good in swinger (always more dangerous) for Lenny's goal.

If any of you are near a corner and like me are a delivery anorak, then please let me know what the run up is. :winking:

To be fare to the Blackburn fans, they all said how bad the pitch was. Is this a PB tactic? I hope not, we all know Roots Hall is falling down but we've always had pride in having a good playing surface.

Yes pitch wasn't good. What I did notice was some extra turf by the NW corner. Its now an extended steep slope rather than a step up if your taking a corner.

From where I was sitting it only looked improved for a right footer pulling the ball out but not for a left footer. I was pleased to see Timlin had no problem and delivered a very good in swinger (always more dangerous) for Lenny's goal.

If any of you are near a corner and like me are a delivery anorak, then please let me know what the run up is. :winking:

I get the impression Phil dictates what he want from the pitch. Right or wrong, I don't know.

I get the impression Phil dictates what he want from the pitch. Right or wrong, I don't know.

The management want the best pitch possible so its certainly not deliberate if its looking shabby.

The difficulty in taking a corner at RH has not been addressed for years. Last season the touchlines were slightly more generous and looks like the run up has improved this term. I like to think my comments to the right people have helped :thumbsup:

To be fare to the Blackburn fans, they all said how bad the pitch was. Is this a PB tactic? I hope not, we all know Roots Hall is falling down but we've always had pride in having a good playing surface.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was re-seeded last season as well and I think Newcastle commented on how good the pitch was at last season's friendly.
Maybe we should have actually used ready to go turf this season? I know it's more expensive but Ron seems to have a bit more spare cash these days.
The poor pitch won't be so much of an advantage to us on Tuesday as Newport are used to playing on a ploughed field!
Although at least they have addressed that problem from now on.

Yep certainly not good on a couple of the older players the calf muscles
were stiffening in the second half because of the looseness of the turf.
Was quite funny watching the lads come on at halftime with their forks and watching them trying to level lumps of loose turf out. One guy who was abit overweight walking about with one hand in his pocket and the other holding the fork.
It may well have been better if the rest of the guys laid him down and rolled him. :smile:

I've taken corners at roots hall and it's actually not as bad as I always thought it would be.

Was it just me or did the pitch cut up badly .In all honesty I think that the worse ive seen a pitch at the start of the season .They must find a answer to the problem or come winter its only going to get worse .
It was'nt just you. At first I thought the grass had just been left long to spoil the BRFC passing game but soon realised after it began to cut up that the pitch is either in very poor condition or has been excessively over watered. Whichever it needs sorting and needs a trim.

It was'nt just you. At first I thought the grass had just been left long to spoil the BRFC passing game but soon realised after it began to cut up that the pitch is either in very poor condition or has been excessively over watered. Whichever it needs sorting and needs a trim.

It was very poor........ we pride ourselves on a good playing field at the Hall but it is very poor tbh.

I sit in the South upper and noticed the corner infront of me and the family stand seemed to cut up more than the rest and very soft.Then even though we had rain before the kick off they still watered it half time making it even wetter and softer!!!!

Problem is cut it short and it will cut up even more.
Will be interesting to know why it's so bad compared to last season.

Problem is cut it short and it will cut up even more.

The amount of rain we've had over the last 6 weeks can't have helped.
Why they bothered watering it yesterday is a mystery I can't fathom out:sherlock:

Up the Shrimpers;1984305[B said:
]Problem is cut it short and it will cut up even more. [/B]

Yes you're actually right. Why is it so bad. I don't like to see a bad pitch at the Hall, we've always had a good one.

Gt Yarmouth Shrimper;1984309[B said:
]The amount of rain we've had over the last 6 weeks can't have helped.[/B]
Why they bothered watering it yesterday is a mystery I can't fathom out:sherlock:

We haven't though, it's only been the last couple of weeks. Prior, we had about 6 weeks of 30c and was very hot.

It was in my opinion, without any shadow of a doubt, the WORST I have ever seen the pitch look on the opening game of the season (since my first game in 1986!) At the same time though it is perhaps the BEST opening performance from the boys in blue too? Can't be a connection surely?

Back