• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Sun "newspaper"

Nick Prawnby

First XI
In response to the response to the responsilble people who are stating various opinions about Britains best selling paper....

Is it a fun paper, mixing entertainment and humour with serious campaigning issues?

Is it a smut rag for low IQ's?

Worth buying just for the footy news?

It's glamour pictures give young women empowerment? (as long as they're fit)

Other

It's *****, but it does that ***** so well it sells bucketloads. It's more powerful than any Government, and that's pretty scary.

I would go other as although popular it is ultimatly a scandeloos rag.

http://dontbuythesun.co.uk/site/

This can be confirmed by checking how many times it features on the press complaints site !.

It's a bit sad that these people devote their existence to something that happened 20 years ago. If they don't like the paper don't buy it but to campaign for others not to buy it is pointless. They can't make it stop being the best selling paper so why not move on Anne do something positive

It's a bit sad that these people devote their existence to something that happened 20 years ago. If they don't like the paper don't buy it but to campaign for others not to buy it is pointless. They can't make it stop being the best selling paper so why not move on Anne do something positive

WEll actually yes they can stop it being the best selling paper . Its called a marketing campaign which i believe is what their doing :D

To be fair Viz has more topical relevant content as well as more totty . ... but even that's not as good as it used to be ;)

WEll actually yes they can stop it being the best selling paper . Its called a marketing campaign which i believe is what their doing :D
I think you mean they can try and stop it being the best selling paper but they dont seem to have managed it so far.
They obviously need to improve their campaign. The only viable option for most Liverpudlians, is, I would imagine the Mirror which they probably already buy.

My point was why dont these people move on and do something positive but as usual you completely missed it.

I completely disagree with you and feel your comment amount moving on totally disregards any of the emotion that would be felt under the circumstances.
Fighting for justice and truth regarding the tragedy is something they feel must be done out of respect for for loved one's that died so unnecessarily when all
they did was go to watch a football match something thousand's of us to so many weekend's. .

The paper ran with totally unproved and damming allegations about the tragedy and then failed to apologize for many year's even though they
knew lie's had been printed on it's front page.Many people in Liverpool including Everton fan's still to this day will not buy the paper so it's sales
in the city have been hit severally and personally I fully understand why and would have probably reacted the same way under the circumstances.

I also find it rather ironic that someone showing a poppy which is often regarded as a symbol of honouring the dead should feel that the time elapsed should
have any relevance as to whether you still should your dead loved one's and friends by continuing to fight for truth and justice.

I think you mean they can try and stop it being the best selling paper but they dont seem to have managed it so far.
They obviously need to improve their campaign. The only viable option for most Liverpudlians, is, I would imagine the Mirror which they probably already buy.

My point was why dont these people move on and do something positive but as usual you completely missed it.

Or more likley i was using your 1st point as a foil for some amusement .
However i do agree with Richard T as well . If as you also say they have teh power to topple governments with a readership of between 3.5-4 million . Thats very worrying on the control a PRIVATE company has on teh minds of an electorate .

What they said and published after Hilsbury was disgusting, unfounded , untrue and pointless . As a good many of their stories have found to be . But then plenty of Red tops do exactly the same .

Just because the Sun for instance is a "tradition" doesn't mean to say it is immune to criticism or its own demise.

I completely disagree with you and feel your comment amount moving on totally disregards any of the emotion that would be felt under the circumstances.
Fighting for justice and truth regarding the tragedy is something they feel must be done out of respect for for loved one's that died so unnecessarily when all
they did was go to watch a football match something thousand's of us to so many weekend's. .

The paper ran with totally unproved and damming allegations about the tragedy and then failed to apologize for many year's even though they
knew lie's had been printed on it's front page.Many people in Liverpool including Everton fan's still to this day will not buy the paper so it's sales
in the city have been hit severally and personally I fully understand why and would have probably reacted the same way under the circumstances.

I also find it rather ironic that someone showing a poppy which is often regarded as a symbol of honouring the dead should feel that the time elapsed should
have any relevance as to whether you still should your dead loved one's and friends by continuing to fight for truth and justice.

Firstly I am not dishonouring the dead. It was a tragedy that should have been avoided.
How are these people campaigning for truth and justice? It’s already well known the story was untrue. Why do they need to campaign to stop people buying a paper? Surely people can make their own mind up. Most people are also aware that a lot of stories in newspaper are not true. Its over 20 years ago. We were at war with Germany 70 years ago and rather than make up stories they actually killed British people. Do these scouse campaigners refuse to drive German cars or buy German goods?
Get over it and if you want to spend your time and effort campaigning, why not do it for a cause that is relevant today and one where you might actually achieve something.

Firstly I am not dishonouring the dead. It was a tragedy that should have been avoided.
How are these people campaigning for truth and justice? It’s already well known the story was untrue. Why do they need to campaign to stop people buying a paper? Surely people can make their own mind up. Most people are also aware that a lot of stories in newspaper are not true. Its over 20 years ago. We were at war with Germany 70 years ago and rather than make up stories they actually killed British people. Do these scouse campaigners refuse to drive German cars or buy German goods?
Get over it and if you want to spend your time and effort campaigning, why not do it for a cause that is relevant today and one where you might actually achieve something.

completely disagree with you and feel your comment amount moving on totally disregards any of the emotion that would be felt under the circumstances.

i like it, because quite simply, at 7.30am in the morning, my brain cant handle anything more taxing

Maybe the Daily Mail should apologise for supporting the Nazis.
Or the Express for suggesting the death of Diana is a royal conspiracy
Or the Guardian for trying to deceive a parliamentary enquiry and topple a minister in cohorts with Al Fayed
Or maybe the Mirror for hoaxing the front page picture which got Piers Morgan the sack (he seems to do OK though)

completely disagree with you and feel your comment amount moving on totally disregards any of the emotion that would be felt under the circumstances.

didnt you post this already?

The Sun is a comic for grown-ups. Sometimes, I like reading comics.

Dear Deirdre is always a laugh, and the football coverage is good. And it's always nice to look at a pair of thrups in the morning. Just don't read it for news or politics; but be aware of the news headlines, since they will enedavour to shape a good deal of the nation's politics from time to time.

Maybe the Daily Mail should apologise for supporting the Nazis.
Or the Express for suggesting the death of Diana is a royal conspiracy
Or the Guardian for trying to deceive a parliamentary enquiry and topple a minister in cohorts with Al Fayed
Or maybe the Mirror for hoaxing the front page picture which got Piers Morgan the sack (he seems to do OK though)

I agree on all but the last point . Freedoms to print and run your idea of teh world around you also come with teh consequences taht come with it . The papers are no more immune then any individual . Let them defend themselves and fall if they fail.

The Sun is a comic for grown-ups. Sometimes, I like reading comics.

Dear Deirdre is always a laugh, and the football coverage is good. And it's always nice to look at a pair of thrups in the morning. Just don't read it for news or politics; but be aware of the news headlines, since they will enedavour to shape a good deal of the nation's politics from time to time.

Sir i have read comic books for nigh on 30 years, you insult the medium !

didnt you post this already?
Thought I was imagining things!

The Sun is what it is, it doesn't pretend to be anything else. People have their allegiances to different papers for a variety of reasons, I love my Sunday sleaze from TNOTW for instance! I just think it's a bit pointless to be carrying on in this way.

Somewhere, Shrimpero's head just imploded through the sheer mass of inappropriate apostrophe use.

Oh and with regard to your Poppy comment, yes I support Poppy, I also support British Legion and have the greatest respect for those that survived and those that lost their lives fighting for this country, but I don’t think it would be a good use of my time to start a campaign to boycott everything German and every other country who have killed British troops – unless of course you think a newspaper lie is worse than killing people and invading other Countries.

Back